Help identifying mine.

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Silas Nightfall

Help identifying mine.

Post by Silas Nightfall »

Shortly after joining this community and starting my path I had a vision/dream, which I described in detail in an earlier post. While I already believed in The One, and the duality of the God/Goddess with, I had no names. Here is a summary of the vision/dream.

I was pulled out of my normal dream, into a forest. The trees were decently spaced. It was night and there was a low fog. From the fog walked a woman with silver hair and brown and white robes. There were additional men behind her who wore purely brown robes. The woman approached and held out a piece of parchment with names on it. She invited me to add mine. I was told that if I did, I would become one with the night and the forest. When I signed my name, I signed Silas Nightfall.

That’s when I woke up. Now, since then I have been doing a lot of research. At first, I went with someone’s suggestion that I might have been called by Silvanus, the guardian of the forest. However, he is male. So, who was the woman? A herald? Another issue is that Silvanus isn’t specifically associated with the night. I am very in tune with both the forest, and indeed all plants and animals within it, as well the nighttime hours. I am very nature based and if I had to classify myself, at the risk of also limiting myself, I would I am Druidic. However, I cannot seem to identify any god/goddess pairs, from the same pantheon (not that it’s necessary) to match my calling. I also have very strong Irish roots.

Does anyone have any advice, suggestions or knowledge that might help me out here?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Help identifying mine.

Post by SpiritTalker »

Doesn't it seem the the silver reps moon & night? Maybe search on a moon+forest type like Artemis.
Silas Nightfall

It’s definitely a possibility, but I was thinking in terms of pairs. Like, a god who represents one thing, and a goddess who represent the other, and both are in the same pantheon. I can’t find that though.
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

This is complicated because deities can look different according to people although they will be identifiable with a particular attribute. In this case what stands out is the forest and the silver hair, which indicates a lunar goddess.

It is possible that it is Dana/Danu or Ceridween.

Ideally, when in doubt, it would be to make a request to have another dream with more details. Or to think about whether there were no other similar dreams before this one.
Silas Nightfall

I understand. The reason we initially thought of Silvanus was the name I picked, Silas, being derived from Silvanus. Which made sense. So is it ok to have a patron god, but not yet identified a patron goddess?do they have to be in the same pantheon?
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

There is no obligation for them to be from the same pantheon. Unless you in your practice want it to be the case. I deduce that the male God for you is Sylvanus, a Roman deity ?

I'm going to talk about my personal case. For me the male deity I honor is Cernunnos and in female deity Hekate. They are not from the same pantheon.
Silas Nightfall

Thanks. Have something to meditate on now.
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

Arianrhod is a goddess with silver hair. I asked a friend.
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

Silas Nightfall wrote:1. I would become one with the night and the forest.

2. I also have very strong Irish roots.
1. Buy yourself a statue of an owl and put it in the middle of what you consider your house (middle sector by the means of feng-shuej - a house space divided into 9 equal sectors).

2. I am very connected to all Celtic regions. Please tell me, what is it about these names that start and end with the letter 's' ?
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
Silas Nightfall

I am not sure I understood your reply SL. Elaborate?

Anyway, I think I’ve traced it to Nox/Nyx.
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

If you put an owl into the health/self house sector, you will develop owl's insight and attitude. It is the most wise night forest animal thus if you seek knowledge I'd pick an owl.

Second was my question of the meaning of words that are spelled in such fashion s........s - what would they represent? It might be that there would be a group of such words and that they would revolve around one quality. For instance Greek Lambda λ Is the letter that always has something to do with light. Hence Greece - Ελλασ = the land of the Light.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
Siona

Post by Siona »

Silas Nightfall wrote:From the fog walked a woman with silver hair and brown and white robes. There were additional men behind her who wore purely brown robes.
I am very nature based and if I had to classify myself, at the risk of also limiting myself, I would I am Druidic. However, I cannot seem to identify any god/goddess pairs, from the same pantheon (not that it’s necessary) to match my calling. I also have very strong Irish roots.
I know you are searching for a God/Goddess pair, but it might help to keep in mind that deities do not always present that way (for much of history, they did not), and that even when they do, sometimes one will come before the other. Trying to stick to a particular formula when dealing with the divine can sometimes lead one to miss connections.

If it helps, Greek and Roman deities were known, and worshiped, by the Celtic people. (Just as some Celtic deities were worshiped by the Romans, such as Epona.) Even the Egyptian Isis was known to the ancient Celts, via the Romans, and I believe there was a temple of hers in Britain at one point. Pantheons were a lot more flexible than we often think.

I see you believe this might have been Nyx. To add another possibility, just in case, the first name that came to my mind was the Thracian Bendis. She has much in common with Artemis, but Artemis usually would not be with an all-male retinue. Bendis, however, was shown with satyrs, maenads, and a surviving relief shows her with a group of all-male worshipers. One of her holidays was celebrated during the dark night, with torch races on horseback. She is the night and the woods. Though she often wears a shorter tunic, I have also seen her in longer robes. (The Etruscan Artume is also in this similar line of goddesses.) Worth considering.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”