Deities of Art? Specifically Visual

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
witchoflife

Deities of Art? Specifically Visual

Post by witchoflife »

Hello! So, I'm still very new to witchcraft, and lately I've decided that I want to try out my first spell! I've decided that it should be for something very important to me: my art. I love to draw and create, and in general I find myself drawn to gods and deities that are art based, but I have a little bit of a problem. I keep finding ones that reside over poetry, over theatre, music, and writing, but I am coming up empty handed for those that assist in visual arts, like painting and sketching!

So, my question here is, are there any deities that specialize in those fields (I consider myself eclectic, so any deity is fine)? If not, should I just try and petition deities that in general preside over artsy stuff, like Apollo, Athena, or the Muses? Thanks a lot!
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Deities of Art? Specifically Visual

Post by SnowCat »

I wouldn't limit it to the Greek deities. Research Hindu, Mayan, and Aztec deities too. They're probably not as well known as Greek and Roman, but they may have what you're looking for.
Daughter of Sekhmet
Siona

Post by Siona »

There was Tekhne, a minor deity of art, craft, technical skill. Although you won't find much more info than that on her. Not specifically painting, but I think it would fall under that. Hephaistos is another, not specifically painting, but of crafts, sculpture, that sort of thing, might be considered more visual than, say, Apollon, who tends more to the music and poetry side of thing (but, who would also still be appropriate to petition in this case).
witchoflife

Post by witchoflife »

SnowCat wrote:I wouldn't limit it to the Greek deities. Research Hindu, Mayan, and Aztec deities too. They're probably not as well known as Greek and Roman, but they may have what you're looking for.
Thank you! I must admit, I don't know much about deities outside of Greek and a bit of Egyptian. I'll look into those and see who I can find!
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

The Greeks do have you covered though if that's a pantheon that draws you. Look to the nine muses - Clio, Euterpe, Thalia, Melpomeni, Terpsichore, Erato, Polymnia, Ourania and Calliope.

The Nine Muses have been inspiring artists since the antiquity and there countless paintings, drawings, designs, poems and statues dedicated to them.

As for 'specific' to 'visual arts' - Inspiration is inspiration not medium - poetry, story, saga, comedy : all these things inspire the visual art and have done so for centuries. Perhaps your general themes and style may be a more pertinent question?

Hephaestus? Athena? Apollo? All deities of the arts.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I wonder if Lugh would work?. He was good at EVERYTHING. :D
The muses are a great call Corbin!
Also I think any Goddess who was known for weaving, would be an asset to any creative endeavor.
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”