Aphrodite

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Moon Petal

Re: Aphrodite

Post by Moon Petal »

Are there any devotional/prayer books for Aphrodite?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Siona

Post by Siona »

Moon Petal wrote:Are there any devotional/prayer books for Aphrodite?
Laurelei Black has two, 'Aphrodite's Priestess' and 'Cult of Aphrodite: Rites and Festivals of the Golden One.'

Neos Alexandria/Bibliotheca Alexandrina has also published an anthology style devotional called Blood and Roses. It's by many different devotees, includes prayers, poems, essays, and so on.
Moon Petal

Post by Moon Petal »

Thanks!

Does Aphrodite have any special days/festivals dedicated to her? I know there’s Aphrodisia but I’m unclear when that is celebrated?
Siona

Post by Siona »

Moon Petal wrote:Thanks!

Does Aphrodite have any special days/festivals dedicated to her? I know there’s Aphrodisia but I’m unclear when that is celebrated?
The fourth of every lunar month (which begins with the new crescent moon) is sacred to Aphrodite, according to the Athenian Greek calendar.

The trouble with Greek holidays is that they're more lunar based, so it moves on the modern calendar every year. Aphrodisia was in the month of Hekatombaion, the first month of the Greek year. In 2018 that started on July 14th, in 2019 it will begin on July 4th. I don't know the exact date of the celebration - I would guess the 4th of the month, but I'm not certain.

I don't know of any other festivals specific to Aphrodite, but there were probably more. I believe the 'rites and festivals' book I mentioned earlier has some of those ancient festivals in it.
Moon Petal

Post by Moon Petal »

Thank you! Those books seem exactly what I need.
Moon Petal

Post by Moon Petal »

I feel bad that I can’t honour Aphrodite properly right now, with an altar, statue, and offerings. But I use my rose quartz for meditation to communicate with her, and I sleep with it under my pillow. Do you think she can still hear my prayers and thanks?
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I definitely think she can. Aphrodite is a powerful goddess who controls the fates/love lives of all mortals and gods. (except the virgin goddesses.) She is the oldest of the fates according to some Greek texts which goes back to her being Inanna and being one of the 7 gods who decree fate. I think she can hear you anytime or anywhere.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”