Does anyone know how to evoke Mannat?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
hailzeus

Does anyone know how to evoke Mannat?

Post by hailzeus »

Is there anyone who knows how to evoke the pre islamic arabian goddess ' Manāt ' ?
corvidus

Re: Does anyone know how to invoke Mannat?

Post by corvidus »

Invocations and evocations follow a basic theory. Any invocation practice can be adapted, given the appropriate symbolism and correspondence, in order to invoke Manat.
hailzeus

Post by hailzeus »

But there is no topic of her invocation on internet. She's the goddess of death, fate and time. And her sacred color is black. So I can use black stone and her photo for invoking her. But I wonder what spell would I have to use?
Last edited by YanaKhan on Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use capital letters and punctuation. Thank you!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Maybe before you engage in invoking a god-form it will help if you learn more about how a spell and a ritual are used differently. And if you intend to invoke a god-form of death, have you considered how you will maintain balance? Where there is death, there is also rebirth. The cycle is implicit. The difference between Evocation & Invocation is something you might want to discern as well before you go further just to give yourself good options. If you study the chthonic god-forms for a while, their symbolism and correspondences will be discernible. With most death deities there are naturally hidden & unseen meanings that can be intuited by the seeker. So you aren't likely to find a tidy correspondence list, only generalities. You can fill in the blanks by cross-checking against other death/fate god-forms too. Be smart & be mindful of the opposite energy during rituals to maintain balance & complete the circuit of energy. Nature at a glance teaches us balance is needed for manifestation in that we've got 2 arms/hands, 2 legs/feet, 2 eyes, & 2 ears, 2 nostrils, 2 brain hemispheres, etc.

Any evocation ritual format could be adapted so look at some of those & (if it were me) I'd want to be working within a comfortably cast circle as well. Using both black & white colors for altar lights & stone layouts would be useful towards a balance of both death & rebirth & spinning/weaving, embroidery can also be symbols of fate & might be considered. The silvery triple moon symbol, ie moon-spun cycles of fate also comes to mind. Also, if you have worn a witch's measure cord as part of your costuming or in your tool kit, this cord has links to the corpse-cord & is a symbol of life-in-death/death-in-life. An artistic photo is just another person's intuitive interpretation of the subject, so study the photo you want to use and understand what the artist is saying so that you know why the photo symbolizes that god-form.
hailzeus

Post by hailzeus »

You mean I have to also evoke a deity of life and birth while *evoking* Manat..? Yeah, I meant to evoke. I didn't know that invoking, in paganism, means to let the deity possess you (it sounds horrible to a beginner like me :cry: ).
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

No. Just keep your symbolism balanced because symbolism speaks to the subconscious mind where we process magical practices. I was editing & added a bit to the former post. Bad habit of mine.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

hailzeus wrote:You mean I have to also evoke a deity of life and birth while *evoking* Manat..? Yeah, I meant to evoke. I didn't know that invoking, in paganism, means to let the deity possess you (it sounds horrible to a beginner like me :cry: ).
Evocation and/or invocation is usually not a beginners practice. There are a lot of things which can go wrong. For example, the loss of your sanity.

Plus, there are a number of prerequisites in order to achieve a successful evocation (‘successful’ meaning actual communication with the spirit)

A few of the more important aspects include but are not limited to:
-ability to maintain a trance
-banishing and invoking rituals for setting up a sacred space
-cleansing and charging rituals for the tools
-Purification rituals (actually one of the more important prerequisites)
-ability to control the influence of the energies of the invoked spirit.

If you’re not proficient in all of these things, then I’d say refocus your practice before attempting evocation.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Hey hailzeus, maybe defining exactly what you intend would be a good idea. If you are thinking along the lines of a magical, ceremonial evocation with all the bells and whistles, Corvidus has made darned good points. There are prescribed ritual formats for this.

If you had something less than total immersion into the essence of the god-form in mind, well, that's what i was going on about with references to a cast circle (ie use of a ritual formula) & balance. My suggestion was more along the lines of just opening communication to sample the winds. Corvidus is exactly right to hop in & offer deeper info.

I know popular Wiccan texts do briefly mention working with a deity &'it's not a light topic. It's a spiritual commitment to accept that god-form's influence within one's psyche. It's an intentional opening to a spiritual force to impact your personality. Our personality empowers our daily life.

I've liked OwlvineGreen you-tube videos of her path working. I've watched her videos since she first began. I admit that I've cringed as she god-hops every few months inviting one after another god-form energy to her altar, but she does not mix and match. She uses one identity tag at a time. She does not invoke. Instead, she seems to use the nature of a god-form's energy strictly within her personal meditations to effect changes to her emotions. She uses this to understand the roots of undesired traits & develope desirable traits in herself. She's been honest when she's been spinning her wheels. I don't completely agree with her rapid tour through god-forms, but to be fair, I don't use them either, so I am not immersed in the practice. It's a transformational process. Maybe that can give you a better idea. She does have the intent behind Wiccan use of god-form energies.
hailzeus

Post by hailzeus »

I don't wanna invoke her neither do I want her to affect my personality. As I said, she is the goddess of fate. I want to invite her in my circle and ask for her help to change my fate. As I said I didn't know evocation and invocation are not the same thing.
hailzeus

Re: Does anyone know how to evoke Mannat?

Post by hailzeus »

I edited my question. Shoulda done it earlier :surprisedwitch:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Ok, so you have the evocation method & symbolism now, or have we confused you? The point of evocation is to effect our personality. That's how we magically work with godforms. When we change our personality we change our fate. It's a long term transformation, but fate is rather long term after all. That's the intention, the purpose, the reason magicians use god-forms.

Just seeking to change your fate? :lol: That's tricky. Fate is a deeply woven tapestry and changes in one factor can unravel and unfavorably affect other factors as well, such as luck & fortune. We may need to submit to our fate in order to achieve luck & fortune. What i think you're talking about is intercession or making a petition, not spiritual evocation.

Petitioning Ex.:

Purify first & cast a circle in the style you prefer. This helps maintain balance. Set up your work area with appropriately balanced symbols, if known, otherwise just use black & white colors as symbols of balancing the supportive pillars of the cosmos. Put yourself into your magical mind-set ie, ground, center, breathe. Call upon the god-form & state your purpose.
Ex: "name, god/dess of X, It is my intent to honor & revere you. I call unto you. Hear my voice. Come. Attend me in my need for X (state desired solution in positive phrasing.) May it be for the good of all concerned & harm none. I offer you x (can be food, beverage, daily devotions for a stated period of time is reasonable.) Thank you."
Then dissolve your circle. Make the offering - leave food & beverage on altar over night then distribute out doors, & since she's chthonic it's a nice gesture to do so early, before sunrise. Otherwise burying an offering in a small hole in the garden is another means to the underworld deities. Keep your word. Edit: a daily devotional offering could be a lighted candle, allowed to burn completely down plus a recitation of the powers & attributes of the god-form.

That's about the simplest form I can think of. I think if you look up petitioning you will get a couple 100 examples, mostly using 7-day candles that are left to burn continuously for a week. Rituals will vary a lot. This might be more like what you had in mind (?).
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... ml#p202617
SpiritTalker wrote:The difference between Evocation & Invocation is something you might want to discern as well before you go further
We had a topic on that a while back, very good point
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”