My Pantheon - Is anything missing?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Amethyst Rose

My Pantheon - Is anything missing?

Post by Amethyst Rose »

The last few days/weeks I’ve been working on creating a list/collection of things I feel are relevant and personal to me and which I feel have associations with each of the 4 elements (Air, Earth, Water and Fire) and cardinal directions. The Maiden-Mother-Crone goddesses sit at the top point and bottom two points of the pentacle, and there are 2 male deities I’ve assigned to either side where the horizontal points of the pentacle lie. Some points/directions have more or less associations than others, over time I expect the wheel will fill up more as I become more comfortable and familiar with things. Here (https://i.imgur.com/MVQnUVW.jpg) is a visual representation I've been working on:

• N: Fall, Air, Mother (Gaia, Venus), Falcon, Owl, Amethyst, Quartz Crystal
• NE: Horse, Fluorite
• E: Winter, Earth, Rabbit, Loki
• SE: Snake, Frog, Crone (Morrigan, Elen), Kelpie, Jade
• S: Spring, Water, Jellyfish, Blue Calcite
• SW: Black Panther, Maiden (Diana, Athena), Obsidian
• W: Summer, Fire, Horned God (specifically a Native American shaman with Bison head), Desert Rose, Rose Quartz, Tiger's Eye
• NW: Stag, Phoenix, Coal

My ethnic heritage is Swedish, Irish and Cherokee so I want to include elements from each of those in my practice. I also plan to include more minerals and gemstones as well as plants/herbs/flowers etc. Maybe that’s too much information, but the specific questions I have are:

What are some experiences you’ve had creating and interacting with a personalized pantheon?

If one wished to work with deities or archetypes that are known for having negative connotations (such as Morrigan, Loki and the Kelpie) what are the safest ways to go about that?

Are there any significant aspects I’m overlooking?
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: My Pantheon - Is anything missing?

Post by SnowCat »

I worked with Loki for a long time. He tends to challenge us, in order to teach us. He's viewed as a a trickster, but that aspect is useful in learning to look beyond the obvious.
Daughter of Sekhmet
Amethyst Rose

Post by Amethyst Rose »

It seems with Mercury in retrograde this is a really good time for me to work on that relationship. Any advice? Does the blood moon and/or eclipse hold any particular significance for him or are there other deities more closely tied to those? Sorry to ask so many questions... there's so much I want to learn!!!
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

There are never "too many" questions! There are no stupid questions, though I may give a stupid answer {I do try my best to avoid that}. You may want to check Planewalker's Medicine Wheel under "Shamanism" in "Types of Witchcraft". Using a Med. Wheel for your circle and invoking Earth Mother, Sky Father and the Great Spirit are covered. There are some AmerInd spells and a couple Carpathian Gypsy {Northern Rom} Spells that work as well, or better, when cast using a Med Wheel. It is mix and match for your choice of Pantheon and what compass points you include them on. Please feel free to start a conversation in "PWMW"- Contact. I'm sure you'll ask questions or make comments that will be informative to others as they read it.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

We all have differing personal approaches. I only relate to a horned god/dess presence, but at my dedication Teranis played a part with thunder & lightening (missed me! :shock: thankyouverymuch) so I spontaneously dedicated to him but don't follow a Celtic path. I did not have a name for the Earth-goddess form that dealt with me until 30 years later. It fit :). All interaction has been initiated by them.

I only ever have used the wheel's quarter associations for elemental balance when working in a circle or for spell designing. I'd be interested to learn how others are using the associations applied to the quarters in their path.

In my understanding, the "blood moon" was originally a seasonal desgination for the full moon occurring in the month of annual herd culling before winter and isn't eclipse related at all. I think it's become a pop culture mis-nomer that's caught on because of the reddish atmospheric haze. I don't know what significance pop culture gives it. It doesn't have any astrologic significance for me, but others have ideas to share.

Maybe people know some eclipse myths?
Siona

Post by Siona »

Using the term blood moon to describe an eclipse seems to have come into popular use fairly recently. I can't quite follow exactly how, but it seems to have originated from some book about biblical prophecy published a while back? Actually had to do with a tetrad of eclicpes, but it got misunderstood, news and other folks started calling them all blood moon... dunno, pretty weird stuff. But, the reason it seems to have caught on, is because at the moment of totality the moon looks, well, blood red. (Not the only time it can appear red, but it always does during a total eclipse.)

There's a few examples of myths here. In quite a few cultures it wasn't seen as a good omen, but unfortunate and chaotic. However, in some modern magical traditions a night of a total eclipse is like experiencing an entire moon phase in one night, which can be used to some interesting effects, I guess.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”