Deities...

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
EveningWithAstaroth

Deities...

Post by EveningWithAstaroth »

Hello.

My name is EveningWithAstaroth.

For some background, currently I am monotheistic, and worship one nameless deity, a God.

I have been considering working with perhaps another deity. I used to practice Wicca during early adult years, when I began to take it more seriously than earlier years in youth and after I had read more on it. Meaning I actually did celebrate many of the Sabbats when I found I could, although I did not celebrate all the Sabbats, and well I was just learning then, just starting.

Till this day there are still Sabbats I celebrate naturally perhaps though not quite in the same way as everyone else.

Alright, I am having a bit of trouble here. I would like to consider working with a deity or two other than the one I currently devote my worship to, however, I am not sure where to begin, or how to get started.

Essentially I am wondering how do you all honor your deities?

I think I simply may need a few pointers, and ideas of honoring to begin, and to help work past the fear.

So firstly what are some ways of honoring a deity shall I start to work with one?

Second... I may have a bit of trouble with deciding which deity to start with or which ones to try to honor.

Should I consider those I already have interest in?

Currently I have interest in perhaps a couple. Anubis. I have a high interest in Anubis, for the reason that at times when I meditate visually, I meet up with a pharaoh during the meditative state. The Pharaoh like character would continuously show up when attempting past life meditations in the past, so one day I simply decided to Meet the Pharaoh. During meditations with the pharaoh like character, often Anubis for whatever reason, would be there.

That is one deity I may feel a call to. When I was much younger- grade school I had a strong like for Athena. Now a days not so much.

After Athena and much later than grade school, I fell in love with Bast. But I do not know how I feel about her now a days.

So that narrows the list to Anubis and Bast.

As for Gods and Goddesses I may have interest in, I notice I have an interest in death deities, and I have recently looked into this, but reading of others and then thinking of working with them produces anxiety.... the only one I may feel comfortable with at this time, may actually be Anubis. Which is kinda disappointing as I was hoping to be able to be more open, but right now I simply do not feel that way, and wish not to force it.

My main question is what are some ideas to honor some deities? If anyone has some ideas that would be helpful.

Blessings.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Deities...

Post by SpiritTalker »

I just use simple symbols I associate with the deity to make a small shrine. On a shelf that my cat's can't reach i keep a statue reminding me of the divine attribute of mercy, a candle and bowl of water to represent light & life. I also keep a memento as a reminder of our 1st encounter. Each morning after I make the bed, I light a candle (and sometimes incense) as symbolic offerings. I pray later during the day when I've had coffee. I feed the birds as another offering. My deity & I have shared this very simple routine for a few decades now.

All I know of Anubis is he is the guardian of the threshold and guide into the Other realm.I would think that out of body workings would be the way to work with him, as being OOB one is as the living dead, a disembodied spirit but living.

Of Bast I only know she is represented as a domestic cat, not as a large lion, but don't know the significance of it. I'd think anything that attracts cat's would appeal. I don't know what her function is.
EveningWithAstaroth

SpiritTalker wrote:I just use simple symbols I associate with the deity to make a small shrine. On a shelf that my cat's can't reach i keep a statue reminding me of the divine attribute of mercy, a candle and bowl of water to represent light & life. I also keep a memento as a reminder of our 1st encounter. Each morning after I make the bed, I light a candle (and sometimes incense) as symbolic offerings. I pray later during the day when I've had coffee. I feed the birds as another offering. My deity & I have shared this very simple routine for a few decades now.

All I know of Anubis is he is the guardian of the threshold and guide into the Other realm.I would think that out of body workings would be the way to work with him, as being OOB one is as the living dead, a disembodied spirit but living.

Of Bast I only know she is represented as a domestic cat, not as a large lion, but don't know the significance of it. I'd think anything that attracts cat's would appeal. I don't know what her function is.
Hi.

Thank you for your response.

With what you have said with Anubis and OOB, I no longer attempt to work with out of body experiences nor do I try and produce said experiences (astral projection) any longer. I have had experiences but am not sure if they were exactly out of body. Many of the experiences I had when very very young 6-8 age range, were experiences of being physically levitated by an entity or force outside of myself. My brother finally started a conversation with me about it a few months ago, apparently he had experienced the same thing.

I am not inclined to attempt out of body experiences, but yes thank you for the recommendation and the reminder of Anubis being a guide to the other realm. Perhaps later this may help me come up with some ideas.

Yes Bast. From what I have read I believe she is a creative type goddess or was seen as a goddess of play and dance as well as other things, if I am remembering correctly, and if that information is correct.

Reminding me of play, and dance, and cats- yep I may be able to come up with some ideas for this, probably more so than Anubis right now.

I will look more into these two deities and try and see if I can come up with a few more ideas.

Thanks for the help.

Especially with Bast and the anything that attracts cats part- speaking of, I have just been paged by one of the culprits of my house at my door- his scratching! goodnevil

Thanks for the help. I will look into these two deities some more as well, and see if I can write up an appropriate devotional ritual.

Blessings.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Anubis is associated with crossings between realms, so if you can connect any other activities that represent this many-layered function (besides OOB) they may work just as well. Inacting the "sight" might be a way to "see" between worlds without having to go to the extremes of OOB. Some ways to do that might be Tarot meditation but not needing to go OOB. Also gazing into a the flame of a candle on which you've carved Anubis' name or any of his titles, or use a petition paper under the candle with the same info, or print his picture to place beside or below the candle.

Somehow I can imagine the Bast toys attracting the furry mob :) as well.
EveningWithAstaroth

Hi. SpiritTalker, thanks for the help. :)

Alright. I had been thinking of a particular deity or rather spirit I may really enjoy working with, before I had posted the topic, but have held some reservations with it.

The deity is actually not necessarily a God, but rather a Japanese Kami. It is from what I have read very commonly believed this spirit to be a past human being of Japanese history, with a mythical background, pretty unbelievable perhaps to those who have not have been to the shrine of the individual and experienced.

The particular deity (let's call it this for now? So I have an easy typing term) has quite a history and past as a samurai. I have read online one source that states the spirit must be constantly appeased, but all this I find more relevant to the history of the shrine itself.

Anubis and Bast aside today I am very very much considering perhaps working with this Kami. Mainly as today was a day I knew after using a sigil spell that I would have the extra funds to see what I find to try and just be open to manifest while shopping in relation to the sigil....

Trying not to distract from topic too much here, bear with me please, The sigil was a small spell with the intent to manifest some spiritual things I have recently been hoping to come across, a statuette of a Buddha, a mask or two more, candles, I said gems/stones, and glassware- essentially an extra offering plate. I had been thinking months ago about being able to purchase a salt lamp, while reading of it in a gemstone topic, via a fora.

I have also been looking at a particular local dollar store for red butterflies everywhere and have not been able to find any for months.

Today, I did get a salt lamp, got my candles, the mask, then while shopping for the mask found the butterflies (red) in the store I had been searching previously for them, next to and along with a yellow butterfly which called to me as I have been incorporating that color here and there.

I love butterflies, infact that is the reason I was considering offering devotions to this Kami. During his revolt, swarms of butterflies were frequent, as well as rainbows (Yes, I admit it, I love rainbows).

I also did happen by mere chance to save money to check out the metaphysical shop were I found a very small Buddha (the place is expensive) for exactly the amount I had in my pocket.

This deity or Kami feels very very right to me. He feels lucky or at least for the moment.

I will keep your ideas in mind.

I have been struggling with anubis for quite a while feeling that deep down, it isn't what I want, Bast I may consider in the future.

For now, this Kami feels right. And I must trust my heart.

Thank you for everything. I appreciate the ideas and help.

Am looking forward to see what I come up with.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

It sounds a little like petitioning saints, whereby one is to offer prayers and good works and not drop their devotions like a hot potato once a petition has been granted. By all means, we follow our hearts. :)
Best of wishes.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”