Non-gendered being/Diety name

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
TemperanceXLee

Non-gendered being/Diety name

Post by TemperanceXLee »

Although I've been a witch for years, I'm still figuring out what I believe in as far as a higher power. I believe that Gods and Goddesses are more specific facets of One being. They tend to encompass certain qualities, and we label them as male and female. But that feels strange to me.
What are some gender neutral, singular names and beliefs? At this point I use the words Spirit and Universe, but I wonder if other people feel this way, and if so, what you use/believe

*Of course this is not to say that believing in specific Gods and Goddesses is wrong, it just feels confining to me.
"In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life:It goes on." - Robert Frost
TemperanceXLee
RyukaAscendant

Re: Non-gendered being/Diety name

Post by RyukaAscendant »

Deity is a gender neutral term.

But Brahman is gender neutral and from hinduism.
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I use terms like deity and god-form to discuss individual character roles, and Greater Unified Consciousness &' The Universe (like you mentioned) for the Big Picture. The best I have been able to define for myself is "All of Us together are the One knowing itself as the Many"... But this doesn't address all the thoughts that rattle 'round in my poor wee brain.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

RyukaAscendant wrote:Deity is a gender neutral term.

But Brahman is gender neutral and from hinduism.
Yeah, I was going to bring this up. I would stop at saying "brahman is god", but some people believe it to be so. It is definitely the ultimate reality and lives within all.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

Dropped you a PM
Siona

Post by Siona »

TemperanceXLee wrote:What are some gender neutral, singular names and beliefs? At this point I use the words Spirit and Universe, but I wonder if other people feel this way, and if so, what you use/believe
I tend to focus more on specific deities (although, as it's happened, many of those deities don't fit so neatly into male/female or are more personified concepts, so...), but I do believe in sort of something bigger 'behind' them all, so to speak. I have a few terms I use for this, most commonly simply The Divine, but also The Creator is common. Which doesn't work so well if you don't believe this being to be a/the creator, of course. As was mentioned, sometimes Deity does the trick, as well as The Universe, as you said. Occasionally I use The Unknown/Unknowable, to get at the vastness of it all.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

I've heard people use these:

All in All
All That Is
Higher Power
The I Am
Infinite Intelligence
Highest and Best
Chosen Ideal
Great Spirit
Mother/Father God
Mind

ZippyZoo

Post by ZippyZoo »

I'm looking for this too. Leaving Christianity, I've kept the concept of the holy spirit, because I've felt it, but I can't keep the 'holy' in the term because it takes me back to the holy trinity.

I like the term Great Spirit, but for me I'm aware that it's a translation of a native american concept/god, and I want to be more original than that and even if I just want the phrase, I can't really shake off that knowledge and it'll make it inconvenient to use if I'm just thinking that everytime I pray to it or commune with it. I can't go to my language for it because it's also christian or christianized. Unless, I change my programming I suppose.

Anyways I just searched "great" into google and found my way to "almighty" in thesaurus.com hehe ( http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/almighty ) and it looks promising. I wish there were more synonyms for immanent

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”