Mixing pantheons?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
James122

Mixing pantheons?

Post by James122 »

Mixing pantheons is something that I've always felt uneasy doing but in my opinion the way I practise my path, if I go down a polytheistic route is nearly impossible not to mix pantheons.
Now I do have a concept that all goddesses and gods are somehow connected but I always see them as separate it would be very difficult to explain exactly how I see divinity just in a few sentences.

We are currently in the month of May and if you are in the northern hemisphere then it's spring/summer time so the way I follow my path I honour the fertility and abundance side of the divine now this is where the confusion comes in, If I want to work with a specific deity associated with the season (which is how I like to follow my path) then without mixing pantheons it gets quite tricky even though I feel in my belief that mixing pantheons shouldn't be done.
I do of course do a lot of research, connection and prayer with a diety before I start properly working with them but recently just before Beltane came up I felt drawn towards the Goddess Flora which is a Goddess which I have never worked with before or even really known anything about but yet I felt it would be a good fit as I felt a connection as I was beginning to work with her in April.
The problem I have is that at this time of year the aspect of the masculine I like to work with most definitely is Pan I've worked with Pan before and I feel there is definitely something but this is whe the problem comes in since Flora is from the Roman pantheon and Pan is from Greek pantheon immediately there I am mixing pantheons and that is tech issue I am having.

I am asking for advice whether mixing pantheons is definitely a no or if actually it's just not a problem at all?
I wanted to ask some people who probably are a lot more expirienced in this than me.
I am always very grateful for the advice from people's own expiriences and knowledge.

As I say I do see divinity all as one connected in some sort of way but I do,t even think I've properly worked out myself yet how I see it but it's nearly impossible to explain in words.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Re: Mixing pantheons?

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Go for it. Ancient pagans were not strict followers of their own native pantheons, they would have their gods exported, and would adopt new gods. (I.e.Cult of Isis, Cult of Aphrodite, Sarasvati/Benten, Yama/Enma, Lilith, Anat/Anath etc.) I don't think the gods have much regard for religion in the way we humans do.

Plus, there's that whole indo-European thing.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Ashrend

Post by Ashrend »

From what I have experienced and learned and my own opinion, the many different gods are simply different versions of the so called true gods, God and goddess. We see the different gods and goddesses because it better fits are understanding to have a specific God for specific things. Meaning that with are limited comprehension because of being human and in this realm, we can only observe and communicate with them by Dividing the god and goddess into multiple ones, otherwise it could and would be too confusing to have singular gods that do everything be have that deep connection with them, as that would be like trying to have the entirety of human history in a singular human mind, it's just too much. So through are thoughts which magic flows, they become divided up but still a whole. So in short yeah, mix and match as you want, by connecting with the gods on different levels through the different dietys we get that deeper connection and ability to use and comprehend different magics
Siona

Post by Siona »

There's pretty much no reason not to mix the Greek and Roman pantheons if you're called to do so, because guess what the Greeks and Romans were pretty into? Mixing pantheons. As an example, Apollo was taken by the Romans from the Greeks. (Along with, you know, a ton of mythology and such.) The Greeks actually took him from somewhere else. There are a lot of foreign gods in Greco-Roman polytheism. Heck, in the Roman Pompeii there is a whole temple to the Egyptian Isis, and they also found a small statue of the Hindu Laxmi. The Romans worshiped Epona quite a bit, a Celtic deity. They even formed Composite deities, such as Sulis-Minerva.

And they weren't the only ones, the Egyptians took deities from others, such as Qetesh (Cannanite), and then married her to their god Min, and their son became another Cannanite deity, Resheph. Bes is another foreign deity who found his way not only into the Egyptian pantheon, but became a hugely popular household god.

So while mixing pantheons seems to have become this big scary thing in modern paganism, there's really not a while lot of historical example for worrying so much about it, because a lot of ancient pagan cultures sure didn't.
Anastasiya

Post by Anastasiya »

I mixed Egyptian, Caananite, Etruscan, Greek, and Roman traditions during my time as a clerical initiate, and it worked just fine :) you may come across problems when you choose Deities who oppose each other, or you may not, but otherwise, when proper respect is paid, pantheon mixing doesn't really cause problems. The Deities all knoe each other, after all
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

My pantheon has always mixed and matched itself. I work with the deities who present themselves. They are aware of each other, and seem to get along. I have no reason to tell them that's not how it's done.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

The various characters of the Pantheon are aspects of a common entity. We also , in the image of the Gods, share a common consciousness at the deepest manifestation of being. Some call this Cosmic Consciousness or Akasha. We are ONE with the Cosmos feeding experience, a sense of presence and consciousness to the collective.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

I feel I should point out that not everyone believes that deities are all manifestations of a singular being, but that they are indeed individuals entities in their own right.

Now, as far as mixing pantheons goes, there are also multiple opinions on this topic. Many believe its just fine, some don't. Being a heathen I actually run across more from the latter group. However I personally believe its up to the individual and their worship and interaction with the gods. There is also the common issue in any matter of specializing versus broad spectrum study.

By this I mean that by mixing you learn alot about multiple facets of a wide variety of categories in a general topic. By specializing, in this case sticking with a single pantheon, you learn alot about a single topic, and while it narrows your field, you gain a much deeper understanding and stronger bond with this specific thing.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but there are distinct pros and cons from each perspective and its up for you to decide what best suits you.
Newbiewitch94
Banned Member

Post by Newbiewitch94 »

My pantheon is mixed between Greek celtic and ancient Egyptian.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”