Festival of Anubis

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
egregorewitch

Festival of Anubis

Post by egregorewitch »

Greetings to all!
I'm just a beginner at complex ritual, but I've been doing my best to find my path and do everything with the correct correspondences and steps in order. This year, I think I'm finally ready to celebrate Anubis on His day of adoration! In previous years, I've simply written a simple prayer and lit a candle with an offering.

I've selected a lovely ritual from a book called Devoted to You by Judy Harrow. This book is split into four sections, the first of which is written by a devotee of His. The ritual walks through cleansing and clearing, casting a circle by calling Isis and Osiris as Goddess and God, then invoking Anubis. The body of the ritual is something called the "In-Drinking Spell", in which the practitioner temporarily 'borrows' power from a chosen aspect of Anubis. However, I'm going to have to write my own verses for thanking and releasing deities, releasing quarters, and taking down the circle.

My questions for you all: What day of the modern calendar does His day of Adoration fall upon? What day is the Sailing of Anubis? Do any of you have special traditions for either of these days? Has anyone else read Devoted to You by Judy Harrow, and what are your thoughts?

Blessed Be
Riff
Shawn Blackwolf
Banned Member

Re: Festival of Anubis

Post by Shawn Blackwolf »

Look a little more than halfway down page :

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/museums-static/dig ... dates.html

Google for other info using *Kemetic Tradition,* then your question. As in: Kemetic Tradition Anubis Day Of Adoration
It will give you a series of websites.

Khem was old name for Egypt. As far as the book, no I have not read it.

Yet I do a meditation ascending and descending 13 dimensions thus 26 total, using the "English Alphabet Code" and an image of Anubis, as he is coded into our alphabet, by someone who knew.

Observe :

A B C D * E F G * H I *J K L* M N O P Q R S T * U V * W X Y Z

Thus: UV (ultra - violet) JKL (jackal) EFG (Effigy)

So I use an Ultra-Violet Jackal Effigy, and a letter coded for each dimension, during a merkabah meditation.

Hope that helps, and gives you a meditation you may use!
Siona

Post by Siona »

egregorewitch wrote:My questions for you all: What day of the modern calendar does His day of Adoration fall upon? What day is the Sailing of Anubis? Do any of you have special traditions for either of these days?
I like the book, I think it was an interesting approach to the topic of how modern pagans devote to their deities.

The ancient Egyptian new year was dependent on the rising of Sirius, which has shifted over time. I believe it used to rise sometime in July, but these days it is in the beginning of August. Some modern recons use the rising date with the rising at the Nile, others use their local rising, which can also shift things by a day or so, but nothing major. However, you'd still need to know that to get an exact date... I think the 7th of August is quite close to what many recons are using these days, so we'll take that as a start point. Which, I believe, would put day one of Peret II on Jan 4th, which is the boat festival of Anubis/sailing of Anubis. (My math may be off, though.)

I am not familiar with 'His Day of Adoration,' and don't see anything about it in a quick glance at my notes, so it might be modern? The author of Anubis' section of that book is not a recon, so it might be something they made to fill in the gaps in their own practice... or they are simply calling it something different from what it might be called in other recon traditions. There are several other festivals for Anubis that come to mind from antiquity, so I'm not sure which one they might be referring to. (Actually I don't see that mentioned at all giving it a quick flip through, but it's been a long day, what page is it on, or is it from another source?)

For offerings to Anubis many find he likes sweets, candy, beef and rich meats, beer, cold water, hearty bread, small toys and games. If you do not already know, Anubis is the Greek/Roman form of the name, which would have been something more like Anpu or Yinepu. Sometimes using those names in Google will help get results from other devotees.
RyukaAscendant

Post by RyukaAscendant »

Here's a list of festivals I found which places the festival of Anubis on June 23rd. http://mythome.org/egyptcalendar.html

Also red wine is loved by the Egyptian deities.
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”