Offerings?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Azure SilverWolf

Offerings?

Post by Azure SilverWolf »

I recently found that my patron goddess is Artemis, and I did some research on her. I'm wondering how I would leave my offerings, especially food. I mean, I've heard from some who just eat the food after, burn it (can't do it because not allowed), or just leave it outside. I mean, I leave them on my altar but I have no idea what to do with them after, although I had thought about burying them. I don't wish to disrespect the goddess, so any ideas?

And what about non-food offerings? I don't feel like it's appropriate to use them after it's been offered (like stones, feathers, crystals).
Heartsong

Re: Offerings?

Post by Heartsong »

I can only speak from my personal experience, but offerings that you make yourself might be appreciated. Food is always nice and can be buried or left out for local wildlife to eat (if appropriate).

The first idea that popped in my head was that you could make a very simple arrow out of wood for Artemis, which might be something she would like. I like to offer poems and stories that I find or write myself that I think my gods would like. I also really enjoy reading the runes for Odin.

Just my thoughts, I'm sure other members have some ideas too. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
CleverlyDisguised

Post by CleverlyDisguised »

For the food offerings just say something like "this is my offering to you, take what you want but I must use the material so as to reduce waste" that way the god/dess spirit whatever knows that they can have their fill of the spiritual essence of the food (since that's all they really can eat of it) and you can eat it the next day... I leave fudge cookies out overnight after spell work and then eat them about 12 hours later... I feel it helps strengthen the bond to the spirit or deity as they leave some of their essence in the food
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I like to leave the offerings on the ground, maybe near a tree if I have one, so that the birds and squirrels and other-kin can finish it off. It's a way of returning it to Nature, who provided the raw materials in the first place.
Siona

Post by Siona »

I leave my offerings to Artemis outside, on the ground in the woods, after they've sat on her shrine for a while. This goes for food, flowers, drink, as well as any non-food offerings I no longer wish to keep on the altar. So I do not offer anything that would not be okay to leave outside. Burying them outside is also an option, although that tends to be done more for chthonic deities, it doesn't seem to cause a problem for Artemis. You can also consider offering things that 'consume' themselves, such as burning incense, oil in a warmer, a liquid that will evaporate (but not spoil), or burning olive oil in an old style oil lamp.

Eating the offering would have happened at some festivals in antiquity. Part would usually be reserved specifically for the deity (and generally burnt), and the rest shared with the devotees as a sort of communal meal. That's certainly still something you could do alone, too, if you are comfortable with it.

Offerings of time are always appreciated, too. Time spent caring for animals, children, tending trails, cleaning litter, or in other devotional activities.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”