Different ideas about Satan?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Different ideas about Satan?

Post by SnowCat »

I have encountered the idea that the archangel Lucifer was put together with the Horned God and re labeled as Satan, and that the client feet are borrowed from Pan. I have never done a serious study of it though.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

HI catthoughts, there are many different ideas about Satan/Lucifer (if they are even the same entity these days). For another outside perspective, the JoS group/cult is a joke amongst the more serious occultist and professional magicians that I've met.

SnowCat, so far the most in-depth analysis I've come across for the "fallen angel" is Lucifer: Princeps by Peter Grey. I have read part of it, as well as two other books by Peter Grey, and he is very good author.
samikcha

Post by samikcha »

The image of devil on Rider Waite's card does resemble Baphomet and then again Satan is supposed to be a fallen angel Lucifer and that is what I learnt in my convent days( I studied in a Convent school).

love love love:*
samikcha

Post by samikcha »

And somewhere on Internet that Baphomet was supposed to be a diety and Pagan and everything on internet may not be true so don't know but to certain extent I do feel it does resemble a Pagan God.

love love love:*
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Salutations Catthoughts :D

Could you please swing by the intros and let us know a little bit about yourself? Thanks
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

The Horned God of the hunt, of forest and agriculture was probably identified by the Jewish thinkers during Exodus and later by Xns as their devil. The saying that when a new religion moves in, the old gods become the new demons might apply.

I don't know if Robert Cochrane supported the notion, but Doreen Valiente did, and her books is where I'd read it. I think Margaret Murray used the theme in her "God of the Witches", but it's been a long time since I read it.

And since it's the season, it also applies to Santa & his reindeer.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

SpiritTalker wrote:The Horned God of the hunt, of forest and agriculture was probably identified by the Jewish thinkers during Exodus and later by Xns as their devil.
If "the devil" is to mean "lucifer" then I disagree.

Lucifer is something much more primal and anamalistic than hunting and agriculture.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

HebrewOld EnglishLate LatinGreek
Before 900; Middle English, Old English < Late Latin < Greek Satân, Satán < Hebrew śātān adversary
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Then I'm working off a separation between satan and lucifer.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

What have you got?
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Satan was originally the Tempter. He tempted humans to do wrong by God, not because he hated God, but because at God's bidding. He would tempt humans to test their faith and obedience, like in the story of Job.

Later in Hebrew angel folklore we get the story of Lucifer starting his rebellion against God and getting banished to Earth. I'm not sure where those two became merged characters, but they did.

I also agree with Spirit Talker that the Hebrews adopted the Horned God's image as Satan's/Lucifer's.
CleverlyDisguised

Post by CleverlyDisguised »

"The revered St. Jerome contends that Samael, as Lucifer, may be playing a role for God. From his study of scriptures, Jerome posited that becoming the being known as Lucifer was a monumental task that God assigned to Samael, as he was the only Archangel strong enough to survive the ravages of a Hellish station. This burden, to live as an exile within the flames of Perdition until the End-time, will be revealed when, as a reward for his service, God will accept him back into the ranks of angels and reinstate him to his full power and station as Archangel. St. Jerome was not alone in this belief, as famed religious scholars including Gregory of Nyssa, Origen, St. Augustine, and Ambrosiater all agreed, in principle, with his theory."
- The Book of Angels; Todd Jordan, Ruth Thompson, L.A. Williams, and Renae Taylor.
CleverlyDisguised

Post by CleverlyDisguised »

And I killed to post. Sorry folks
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

St.Jerome's idea actually makes more sense to me than what I learned from the Catholic Church and other churches that visited over the years.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I love pagan reinterpretations of Satan! <3

First of all, Lilith is supposed to be the consort of Satan. Lilith being undoubtedly Jewish in this case, and Satan in Judaism is different than Satan in Christianity. For one thing in Judaism he has the name of Samael, and he is not against God per se. Rather he is against humanity, as the prosecuting attorney of mankind. I take this view more so.

I see God as a god in a pantheon of gods, which dates back to the Canaanites and when the Israelites were still around. Satan in this case, to me, would be a servant of that god, making him divine and possibly a minor deity. Much like Artemis and her routine of nymphs or Tlaloc and his little tlalocs. No different.

It's interesting to note that "Satan" is NOT a name in the original Hebrew. But a title which means "accuser" or "adversary". Thus, the title of Satan can be applied to many things. Tezcatlipoca, the Aztec god of sorcery for example, in their language is called "Yaotl" which means "enemy". The Spaniards saw fit to give him the title of Satan/Lucifer, and judging by my own experience with that god, he revels in that because it is so fitting for him as "the enemy of both sides".
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”