Cultural appropriation

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
cataluna49

Cultural appropriation

Post by cataluna49 »

I'm currently researching the different goddesses out there, and I was wondering what to do if one feels a draw towards gods/goddesses from other culture? How can I worship theses gods/goddesses without participating in cultural appropriation? And then how far does that go? I'm not Greek either...would that count? I'm curious to hear what everyone else's thoughts are.
smogie_michele

Re: Cultural appropriation

Post by smogie_michele »

For me, this is a little bit of a grey area... I've seen a topic similar to this before and if I happen upon it, I will link it here.

It seems to me that we are ALL pulling from different cultures, no matter who or what we worship. I'd follow your gut. For instance, if you are feeling a connection to a god commonly associated with native americans, logic would say that decorating your altar with symbols associated with the deity is totally cool by me, but I wouldn't go around donning a formal head dress.

I'd like to see what other people think on this topic as well.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I think it becomes appropriation only if we claim to represent a culture-based spiritual system in which we have no birth link or initiation into the culture's spirituality. Worship is universal. As long as we don't pretend to represent something we don't, there is no foul. Wicca walks a thin line. Everything is a reconstruction borrowed from some other place or time.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Personally, I think you shouldn't care what people think or expect of you. Do what you want, have the experiences you deserve to have. Open your mind to everything that's available. Too many people try to be politically correct. PC is not the path of a witch or magician.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I think smogie was referring to this topic. It may help you clear things up a bit :)
cataluna49

Post by cataluna49 »

The link was very useful thank you! It definitely is something that will have to be a running conversation through Wiccan/pagan development and something every individual will have to ask themselves. It is a very fine line, one that involves respecting the origins and values where these gods come from and knowing where outsiders just aren't welcome. But I also liked the idea of connecting more with your own area and making new traditions also. It's definitely not a cut dry topic
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Do what you will, as long as you harm no one. I have had many calls from many gods, including Aztec ones. I am not Mexican or even Native descent at all. When I think of "cultural appropriation" I think of people who seek to capitalize on exploiting other peoples' cultures such as Carlos Castenada did. I do not think this is the same as participating in a certain belief system, religion, or worshiping a certain god.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
ShamanicSoul

Post by ShamanicSoul »

I believe that spiritual practice and worship is a very personal and ultimately private matter...I don't think it can accurately be regarded as appropriation. This is, of course, presuming that the worship and practices are being done more-or-less in private. When it comes to public displays such as wearing bindis, traditional headdresses, images of "exotic" deities, etc...It gets a little more tricky, and you might encounter some negativity from people..
northernbruja

Post by northernbruja »

Personally, if your gut and/or soul is pulling you to a certain pantheon, explore and learn more respectfully. Cultural appropriation can be avoided by respect, honesty, and genuine yearning and the Gods understand that and respect that. I'm not Greek but one of my patron Goddesses is Hecate. She gave me lots of signs and I read as much as I could about her and meditated on her energy and signs before I attempted to work with her. It's also helpful listening to people who are a part of that culture and can give a more primary perspective. Good luck and many blessings! :)
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

Article 18 of the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights states:

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.

It is one of your fundamental human rights to explore and engage with any religion you want to. If anyone tries to deny you this for any reason they are attempting to deny you your human rights which are inalienable (this means you have them no matter what).

http://www.un.org/en/universal-declarat ... an-rights/
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

I will say Obsidian that is the best response I have ever heard regarding this subject. I have every intention to appropriate it :P

Honestly, it is a subject I won't even draw breath to discuss anymore.

In every case where have encountered people protesting "cultural Appropriation" (protesting; not simply asking or considering the question), scratching the surface, the reasons people say they are against it are really just the excuses they choose to use for why they are against it; reasons often have nothing to do with culture but everything to do psychology.
autumn swan

Post by autumn swan »

I mean when the Romans heard of Isis they worhsipped her and build her Temples in, e.g. Germany, where People then also started whorshipping her. That is how it always has been and Personals i feel like the Gods want as much positive attention as they can get, no matter from whom. :wink:
May the Lord and the Lady bless you.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

When the last native of any particular region, hasn't a person left to converse in their tongue about their spirit, then they will have wished they'd shared.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”