Guanyin, Goddess of Compassion

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guanyin, Goddess of Compassion

Post by Xiao Rong »

[Guanyin holds a special place in my heart. I grew up hearing stories of her, and now she has a spot on my altar. I often pray to her for wisdom and guidance when I am in need. I wrote this thread based on my research and personal knowledge of her. Feel free to chime in and share what you know about her, or ask your questions about her.

As a note, I spell the goddess’s name Guanyin because that is how it is spelled using Pinyin phoneticization in Mandarin Chinese, which I speak. In English, her name is sometimes also spelled Kwan Yin and Quan Yin. -- Xiao]

Source

Introduction

Guanyin ((观音) is perhaps the best loved deity in Chinese culture. She is the Chinese goddess of compassion, mercy, and love. She began as the (male) Boddhisatva Avalokitesvara in the 1st century AD, but upon coming to China was known as Guanshiyin (“She Who Hears the Cries of the World”), which has been shortened to Guanyin (“She Who Hears the Cries”). Her influence has spread to many Asian countries and is now coming into the West.

Despite having achieved enlightenment, Guanyin refused to leave the world while people still suffered -- a sign of her great compassion. To this day, it has been said that she will aid anyone who calls out to her in need. She is often seen as a woman dressed in white, flowing robes; sometimes she is seen bearing a child with her.

The Legend of Miao Shan

This is the myth most commonly associated with Guanyin. She was born not a goddess, but a mortal -- the youngest daughter of a king, Princess Miao Shan. The moment she was born, the earth trembled and people throughout the land noticed a flowery fragrance in the wind. Everyone knew that she was special, and she grew up to be kind and gentle. She was beloved throughout the kingdom for her compassion and purity, but her parents, who were corrupt rulers, believed her goodness to be a weakness.

When she was old enough to marry, Miao Shan turned down all the suitors her father wanted her to wed for political alliances. She asked the king to find her a husband who would help ease the suffering of the world, or she would become a nun. When Miao Shan explained that she would like to marry a doctor, the king flew into a rage, but she could not be convinced otherwise and joined a convent.

The king secretly instructed the nuns on pain of death to give Miao Shan the hardest, most menial of tasks. The nuns bade her to grow a garden in the barren land, but the princess could make the flowers flourish even in winter. When nothing would deter Miao Shan from a life of religious devotion, the king decided to have her killed. He sent an assassin after her, but the moment that the assassin struck the fatal blow, she was whisked away by a divine wind to the top of a mountain. There, she continued her life of devotion, and soon the mountain became known far and wide for housing a devout holy woman. (In some versions, she is killed and sent to hell -- but when she arrived, hell became a beautiful paradise, and the gods had no choice but to send her back to Earth!)

Eventually, the king fell ill with a terrible disease that caused him great pain. Knowing that he was about to die, he consulted with a monk, who told him that a potion brewed from the arms and eyes of a person without anger would cure him. The king said that no such person could possibly exist, but the monk had heard tell of a saint who lived atop a mountain who might fulfill his requests. The king sent an envoy to meet this saint (who of course was none other than Miao Shan herself). Hearing of her father’s great pain, she cut off her arms and gouged out her eyes without a moment of hesitation and gave them to the envoy.

Cured of his fatal illness, the king and queen went to thank the saint who had given up so much to save him. Upon reaching the top of the mountain, they found much to their shock that it was their own daughter who had saved him, despite all of the king’s wickedness and cruelty. Her parents immediately fell to their knees and begged for forgiveness. Miao Shan merely smiled; the mutilated woman disappeared into a mist to reveal her new form -- the Thousand-Eyed and Thousand-Armed Guanyin, a goddess. Her parents, now completely changed by the revelation, built a beautiful temple for Guanyin, and returned to their kingdom, now much wiser and kinder rulers.

Guanyin, though she had achieved Enlightenment and could leave the world, chose to stay behind because of her infinite compassion. She vowed that she would never leave the world so long as she could help people who suffered.

Source

Other Myths
  • - Guanyin once rescued a fish from a fisherman’s net; the fish turned out to actually be the son of the Dragon King. In gratitude, the Dragon King sent his granddaughter to present Guanyin with a pearl of wisdom, but the granddaughter was so overwhelmed by Guanyin’s presence that she instantly requested to be her disciple. This is why Guanyin is often accompanied by a dragon.

- In the famous Chinese epic Journey to the West, she regularly protects the devout pilgrim Xuanzang (accompanied by his disciples, one of whom is the mischievous Monkey King) from the demons that threaten him on his way to attain the sacred scriptures and bring them back to China.

- Mazu, a goddess in Southern China who protects seafarers and fishermen while they are at sea, is sometimes believed to be an incarnation or form of Guanyin.
Titles and Epithets
  • She Who Hears the Cries of the World
    The Thousand-Eyed and Thousand-Armed Guanyin, so that she may see anywhere in the world and help anyone in need of suffering
    Bestower of Children
    Guanyin of the Southern Ocean
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Guanyin, Goddess of Compassion

Post by Xiao Rong »

Realms of Influence

Guanyin is known as the protectress of the unfortunate, the poor, the sick, and all those in trouble. She is the goddess of unconditional love and compassion. She is sometimes known as a fertility goddess (despite never having children herself). One need only call out to Guanyin or pray to her to invoke her assistance.

This traditional dance honors her manifestation with a thousand arms. Source.

Connecting with Guanyin

These are by no means the only ways to connect with Guanyin, but a few that I have come across in my time studying her.

Praying or calling out to her
Guanyin is said to respond to anyone who asks for her assistance. One does not need to pray to her regularly in order to receive her blessing, but of course, it is always nice to say thank you for her help -- and if you call out to her frequently, it might be worth it to make saying thank you and appreciating her a regular thing!

One source I have says that Guanyin, while she can work miracles, does not have infinite power. She works with what she’s got. For instance, there is a legend that an engineer in Ancient China wished to build a bridge across a dangerous river that had claimed many lives. He ran out of funding to complete the project, and he asked Guanyin for help. Guanyin appeared in the guise of a beautiful woman sitting on a boat on the river, and she promised to marry whoever could throw a coin into her lap. Hundreds of men lined up along the river banks to try to win her hand, but somehow none of the coins made it into her lap; they landed in the boat instead. She presented the money to the engineer so he could build the bridge. So even though she can provide divine intervention, it is not infinite power; she did not build the bridge for him.

One can also meditate and pray by reciting the mantra, Om Mani Padme Hum, which means, “The Jewel is in the Heart of the Lotus.”

Building an altar for her
As with many deities, having a sacred space devoted to her is always a good way to connect to her. There are many Guanyin statues commercially available, but in a pinch you could use a picture of her or even just her name written on a piece of paper. While of course she appreciates having large extravagant temples, many of her most devout worshippers are the poor, who can’t afford much! With Guanyin, it’s the thought that counts.

Giving her offerings
Traditional offerings include fruit, fresh flowers, cakes, oil lamps, candles, and incense. In a pinch, even fresh water would do the trick. With Guanyin, the goal of making offerings is not necessarily incurring her goodwill (as she will assist anyone who helps her, even the most ungrateful!), but to cultivate her spirit of generosity within yourself. The only things that probably are not appropriate to offer her are meat and eggs (since she is herself vegetarian. Speaking of which …)

Eating a vegetarian diet
Guanyin herself refused to harm animals by consuming meat, and so her devotees have traditionally abstained from eating meat and followed a vegetarian diet. If going full vegetarian is not possible for you, you can consider abstaining from meat for a meal or a day as a sacrifice for her.

Consulting her oracle
There is a custom of qiu qian[/u] (求簽, to beg a stick), a traditional Chinese divinatory system in which one draws one of 100 slips of wood. Each stick has a number corresponding to one of 100 poems said to be written by Guanyin. The poems themselves are really beautiful, and over time have come to have other divinatory/fortune-telling properties as well.

Being the vessel through which she pours out compassion into the world
By far, I personally feel that, above any material offerings that we can give her or any beautiful altars and temples we build to her, Guanyin would much prefer that we assist her in her quest of helping all those in suffering, by cultivating that heart of compassion in each of us (she is hardly interested in her own personal glory!). She is often depicted carrying a vase, which symbolizes her infinite compassion that she pours into the world. There are many ways in which we can do this, such as giving money to the homeless, donating to charitable organizations that help the poor, or volunteering at soup kitchens. She simply asks that we open our hearts and give our love and compassion to those in need. I personally feel that she is the patroness of my profession (I am getting my degree in social work), and I feel her presence most strongly when I am volunteering with the local domestic violence organization responding to calls from survivors.

Symbols

• A willow branch, to sprinkle out the divine, life-giving nectar upon the world.
    A vase, from which she pours out her compassion into the world
    The moon & water (representing serenity, clarity, and spirituality)
    Lotus (an important Buddhist symbol of beauty and purity arising from the muck)
    Dragons (in many myths, she is accompanied by a dragon; dragons are a traditional symbol of spirituality and strength)
    Peacocks (which have a thousand eyes like Guanyin)

Source

Further Reading

http://cubuddhism.pbworks.com/w/page/25 ... %20Guanyin
The Kuan Yin Chronicles, by Martin Palmer, Jay Ramsey, and Man Ho-Kwok
Sinopa Oak

Post by Sinopa Oak »

This is really nice research. I had never heard of her before, but after reading this I find her quite inspiring! I liked the way you told her story - I would definitely read more. :D
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

The first time I ever heard of her was in The Godmother, a light fantasy novel. She made an appearance as Kwan Yin, to help a young Vietnamese boy. She appeared in her benevolent aspect.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I have a small shrine for Her in my home. Her mercy and compassion are inspiring. Thank you for writing this.

Namo Guan Shi Yin Pu Sa
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

I still can't believe, all this time, no one's ever made a Guanyin post anywhere on this board (including me). She's huge in all Asia. In Japan she is known as Kwannon or Cannon.

Nice post, Xiao, thanks.

Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

A few years ago, I wrote about some of my thoughts on Guanyin. I had been very excited to start learning more about a goddess from my heritage, but as time went on, I started understanding why I couldn't really identify with her:
From the very beginning, she had surpassed humanity. So it makes sense that her capacity for compassion is also beyond human. When her father, the king, abuses her and even tries to have her killed, she only responds with infinite mercy and sacrifices her own eyes and arms to help heal him. I don't know if any human could do that. My father is also abusive (granted, he has not tried to murder me, but still) and I can't forgive him. In fact, I have been learning to embrace my anger, because I believe anger is a completely justified reaction to injustice.

Guanyin was never even slightly angry with her family. Why? Because she represents the detachment necessary in care work. She can do it because she is not a part of this world. This theme of detachment appears repeatedly in her myth. She chooses to become a nun, she renounces marriage, she floats to a mountain when her father tries to kill her, and she eventually transcends her human form to become the Thousand Arms and Thousand Eyes manifestation of Guanyin. It is very telling that she is a fertility goddess (Songzi Guanyin) who grants children to childless mothers, yet bears no children herself. For her to do her work, she has no attachments or relationships to people; she casts no judgements on anyone. She is the avatar of perfectly impartial love.

We talk about this in my volunteer work all the time when we work with domestic abuse victims - the importance of detaching oneself from the work. I've only been volunteering a short while, but I can feel the conflict too. How do you listen to people who are truly in pain and yet remain focused enough to do what needs to be done? How do you empathize (which, to some degree, means you lose yourself) and yet retain enough of yourself to provide guidance from the vantage point of someone who is not similarly suffering? For me, sometimes when I listen to abuse victims talk, I can only hear my own past speaking back to me; I yearn to tell them what I wanted and needed to hear when I was an abuse victim - but that's not always what's right for them. For me to be present for them, I need to detach myself, to remain separate ...

I think Guanyin teaches me the aspect of detachment in the Goddess. She can be compassionate with us, and yet retain her separate identity, and in retaining her separate identity she can be fully present with us. That is my lesson from Guanyin; even though I cannot be her, there are qualities in her that I will try to bring to my every day life.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

That's beautiful, Xiao. I missed it first time around. Thanks for (re)sharing.

Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

Awesome! I've been meaning to research her :D This is perfect.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

I swear I smell roses every time I click on this thread, lol. I see them pink in my mind's eye.

Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

My favorite restaurant /health food store has had a statue of her in the front of their place since at least 1978.
Really nice post, by the way what's up with the different spellings?
Thanks, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Well, her name has been translated into many different languages over time, so of course there's some variance there. Chinese has a number of different dialects, and there are different ways of transliterating Chinese phonetics into English lettering. Until recently, many people used the Wade-Giles translation system (which I believe is the origin of Kuan Yin). In the 1950s, Pinyin (the current system) was established as a way to standardize spelling, and that is the most commonly used one in Mainland China today; that is where Guanyin comes from. It is now generally accepted that Pinyin represents Chinese sounds better than the Wade-Giles system; if you were to take a Chinese class now, you'd learn Pinyin. I believe Quan Yin is just another way of transliterating it, although I don't know if it comes from a standardized system.
shatteredsouls

Post by shatteredsouls »

Hi xiao rong! Thank you for making this post!

I grow up with her statue in my house too. I think Guanyin can be a little confusing because I've once read that Guanyin can be either gender. There's different Guanyin too, and Songzi Guanyin (for fertility) is just one of them @.@ I think she's more known for offering peace, health and fertility. Though if you're asking/praying for other things, Guanyin tries to help too.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Yes, Guanyin originated as a male Boddhisatva from India, but took on a distinctly feminine appearance in China. Many people agree that Guanyin's popularity in China is due in part because she fulfilled a need for a goddess figure there, and compassion and kindness were attributes that were associated with femininity and made her easy to relate to. As with many deities, though, it is hard to ascribe their power and attributes into a single gender, or as essentially masculine or essentially feminine.

Songzi Guanyin (送子观音) is interesting; the name literally means "Guanyin Who Gives Sons". There is some evidence that she originates from a different Daoist fertility goddess (送子娘娘, Songzi Niangniang, "The Maiden Who Gives Sons"), but I typically think of Songzi Guanyin as an epithet, much like Thousand-Eyes and Thousand-Arms Guanyin.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

She's really beautiful. Would you say her vase is bottomless?
And now I understand better why she is in front of my lacto-vegetarian restaurant/store!
FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”