Working on an Epic

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
rothko

Working on an Epic

Post by rothko »

Hello!

I've recently started writing an epic. A few years ago, I read Homer's Odyssey, and I loved it. If I'm remembering correctly, the gods most prominent in The Odyssey are Athena and Poseidon, although other gods are present.

With the poem I'm working on, I was planning on focusing mostly on Athena and Dionysus.

Originally, I was planning on Dionysus being the only god in the work, but as I started writing, Athena just kept popping up. It was like I kept finding places to write her into the story. Now, I'm 4,000 words in, and I haven't even mentioned Dionysus more than a couple of times. I was wondering if anyone had any possible explanations for this.

I've never had a particularly close relationship with Dionysus. Of all of the Greek gods, he's the one I've studied most, but unlike other gods, I have seen no signs of a response from him.

I have very complicated feelings about this. I feel like I relate most to Dionysus, even though I also fee like I am connected to him the least.

Advice on this would be helpful, as well as advice on writing epic poems in general.
corvidus

Re: Working on an Epic

Post by corvidus »

I love Epics!!

The thing I love about Dionysis is that he's more than just a god, but an energy as well, or a certain mental attitude, or an emotional disposition.

Maybe Dionysis' influence is showing through the work in other ways? It would be interesting to play with, I think :)

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”