Worship through Art

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
rothko

Worship through Art

Post by rothko »

Hello,

I've been thinking about the process of worshiping a god/goddess lately, and how that process can relate to the arts. Most of my experience relates to the gods and goddesses of Greece. My most religious experience so far was playing the role of Apollo in a play, Mary Zimmerman's Metamorphoses. At first, I worried that if I was unconvincing, I could come off as offensive. However, by the end of the show, I felt like I had a completely new understanding of worship. I felt as though I was giving a gift to Apollo that exceeded tangible limits, even though I wasn't really sacrificing anything other than a few months of work.

Now, there are a few things I have thought about after this experience. First, I noticed that there is not a large amount of new art being produced about (or for) gods and goddesses- at least not that I know of. I am not too well versed in modern visual art, but I have seen only a few works made recently that represent gods or goddesses. In my area, only one or two plays or operas are performed on the topic of religion each year. This leaves little opportunity for what is now my favorite form of worship.

I have, however, enjoyed reading old Greek plays. I have a deep love for Aristophanes' The Frogs, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a good comedy about Dionysus. Still, reading and performing feels different to me. I'm not sure I consider reading a form of worship; It definitely does not give me the same feeling as performing.

What do you think? Is producing art a form of worship? Have any of you had similar experiences?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Worship through Art

Post by SpiritTalker »

Wow. Massive subject. there is a long tradition of sacred theatre in every culture to teach religious history. Liturgical drama like the Mystery Plays of the Middle Ages are what I'm most familiar with. I just can't think of any right now, but I know in India, Asia, Europe and S. America the practice is well established.

I have attended an Easter mystery play and found it more moving than reading it from a book or hearing it read. I have not performed, but I have the general idea.

You'd have to visit artist colonies to know what is current. Where I once worked at a cemetery, we had two mosaics installed featuring Christian figures, several stained glass windows put in three different chapels, and repair to existing statuary on the grounds. The artists i spoke to on site, put their soul into the work, truly as an offering. Even a volunteer who enthusiastically repainted the traditionally red robes of the Infant of Prague green...she liked green better, so we dubbed him our little leprechaun(7 feet tall) meant well. The red had a specific meaning in church art and the history of the apparition. Ever notice Mary wears blue and Jesus wears red, while Joseph is shown in brown? The colors have mystical significance. So I would say the art world is still thriving.
Siona

Post by Siona »

Yes, I absolutely believe art can be a form of worship - be it painting, sculpture, poetry, plays, music, dance, or otherwise! You say you felt like you weren't sacrificing more than a few months of work, but really a few months of work is quite a big offering! :) I know that at least with in the Greek and Egyptian pagan communities art is still playing a big role for many people. The organization Neos Alexandria has put out quite a few devotionals for Greek and Egyptian (and some other) deities, which contain essays, but also prayers, poems, fiction, and sometimes paintings or other such art. (A devotional for Apollon has recently closed, and should be coming out quite soon.) If you are on Facebook at all you can check out the group Labrys. They are based in Greece and just recently held a festival in honor of Dionysos, filled with crafts, music, dance, and so on. The page and their videos are all in Greek (although Facebook does offer translations which are okay), but you might like to see what they're up to, anyway. I have also noticed quite a bit of new paintings being created of Hekate these last few weeks. (Perhaps some of them came from devotees inspired by a recent festival of hers.)

Personally, lately I have mainly been working to honor the gods though creating prayer beads for them, and recently trying to write hymns. I am also attempting to learn the lyre for Artemis, Apollon, and the Muses, and soon I would like to take up painting again. I used to do a lot of paintings for/of the gods when I was an Egyptian polytheist, the art style really captured me, but that was quite a few years back now. Only recently have I been coming into my own style that I think I would be fitting for the types of paintings I wish to do.
Becks

Post by Becks »

Great topic! Reminds me a bit of American Gods By Neil Gaiman. The idea that the gods are worshiped less....it's a good read if you haven't.

But absolutely I draw, write, sing, sculpt....there is great power in the trance that comes from losing in self in art and immersing into that sacred space of creation....almost as if we seek in our own human and humble ways to connect through our own clumsy ability to create-as a child mimics how their parents/gods create?
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hi Rothko, I very much believe that art can be a form of worship. I think the gods appreciate any act of service that helps "world" them/bring them into the world, through new expressions and interpretations.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Rothko, I really enjoyed your share about your unexpected discovery of worship through art. It's heartwarming, and a plug for live theater. I hope everyone goes to see some theater, or acts in it, or otherwise supports it. It is an enduring human art form. Bravo, my friend.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”