I haven't chose a Deity yet..Am I offending them?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
LunaMoonRise

I haven't chose a Deity yet..Am I offending them?

Post by LunaMoonRise »

Hello Everyone
Okay So..I'm still in the learning process with everything being new to Wicca & witchcraft and all...
I like to try to get as much understanding as possible
My main question focuses on the deities that we are suppose to support and worship
So far I know that not everyone has a specific one and that it is normally okay depending on your own preferences
However, I also remembered reading somewhere that certain deities doesn't like to work together.
In what cases will that often happen?
Does it usually occur when people aren't aware?
For example, If I were to perform a spell/ritual I would do it within my circle inside my circle usually consist of myself and my altar. My Altar has the normal supplies including my symbolic figurines of god/goddess in general which could be apart of any deity(Usually A goddess mother of fertility in my case) however, depending on the spell I may summon a god/goddess that best fits the intent of the spell. Would that technically be putting two different deities in a position to work together? Please let me know if I need to explain myself more. Again I am a very confused.. fairly new beginner and just want to have as much understanding as possible

Luna
Blessed Be Everyone :flyingwitch:
Siona

Re: I haven't chose a Deity yet..Am I offending them?

Post by Siona »

I know there are many different ideas about deities, but in my opinion it's also good to establish a bit of a relationship with one before asking them for help with something. If you're going to work with a deity, it's a good idea to read up on their myths, some of their basic info, and so on. Don't just pick one from a list that just names a few attributes and leaves it at that. Sometimes even deities of the same pantheon don't get along very well, let alone mixing from two pantheons that never interacted in antiquity. Reading up on them will help you to understand who can "mix" with who. So reading up on a deity, meditating on them a bit, praying to them, making a few offerings, and then continuing to work with them toward whatever goal you have is often helpful.

Hope that makes sense. And don't worry, we were all new at some point, I don't think many deities are offended by someone who is learning, as long as they are making a sincere effort in what they're doing.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Finding who you're meant to work with can be a lot of trial and error. Not everyone sticks with one pantheon either. I have a mix of Egyptian and Norse. It was their idea, not mine. If you maintain respectful boundaries with your work, you should be fine.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Excellent point, Snow.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”