Irish pantheon

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
SolitaryWoman

Irish pantheon

Post by SolitaryWoman »

So I've felt a pretty strong pull towards The Morrigan, which seems weird because I'm kind of a lighthearted person. Or I think I am. I'd like to learn more about Irish mythology in general becasue those are my roots, I've been having a hard time finding much out about anything other then Morrigan and Brigid. Basically I'm looking for *good* sources of information. I've been poking about on the internet, and seem to come across only basic stuff over and over and a few books that *look* promising but As a person on a budget I'd like to ask around before buying a book that may or may not be useful. Any sources that could help me would be greatly appreciated.

Until this point my magical workings have been very atheistic, and my ritual work have been vague using the terms "God" and "Goddess". But I want to draw on my own roots for my spirituality. That's what led me down the Irish path.

Anyway sorry for dithering on, but I would really love to talk to someone about this and maybe suss a few thins out.

Many thanks! :)
You are what you love
Not who loves you
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Irish pantheon

Post by SnowCat »

The pull towards the Morrigan might indicate a need to balance your lightheartedness with a bit more grounding. My auto correct function wanted to say lightheadedness. Gotta love technology.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SolitaryWoman

Post by SolitaryWoman »

SnowCat wrote:The pull towards the Morrigan might indicate a need to balance your lightheartedness with a bit more grounding. My auto correct function wanted to say lightheadedness. Gotta love technology.

Snow

That may be true. I just find it odd that a Goddess so heavily associated with war and bloodshed would call to me. I've always been a peaceful person. But I don't know, it's just a little weird to me. I've never rejected darker aspects of life, I embrace them just as well. But still I'm not a warrior. But if she is actually calling me, or whatever, I can't just ignore it.

This may seem an odd question but I have these rituals that I've been doing for a few years now that are mostly revolve around Goddesses of the Moon and changing seasons. Do I continue to practice those and simply add rituals and prayers for Morrigan to my practice? Or do I need to do a total overhaul of my practice. I've heard it's fairly difficult to offend a deity without going out of your way specifically to offend them.
You are what you love
Not who loves you
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

SolitaryWoman wrote:
SnowCat wrote:The pull towards the Morrigan might indicate a need to balance your lightheartedness with a bit more grounding. My auto correct function wanted to say lightheadedness. Gotta love technology.

Snow

That may be true. I just find it odd that a Goddess so heavily associated with war and bloodshed would call to me. I've always been a peaceful person. But I don't know, it's just a little weird to me. I've never rejected darker aspects of life, I embrace them just as well. But still I'm not a warrior. But if she is actually calling me, or whatever, I can't just ignore it.

This may seem an odd question but I have these rituals that I've been doing for a few years now that are mostly revolve around Goddesses of the Moon and changing seasons. Do I continue to practice those and simply add rituals and prayers for Morrigan to my practice? Or do I need to do a total overhaul of my practice. I've heard it's fairly difficult to offend a deity without going out of your way specifically to offend them.

Why not concentrate on working with Morrigan first? Like introductions and other things, before you make a big step and incorporate her into all aspects. I say this because she may end up being one of many patron deities you have. She called me too, when I was a teen, and I was hesitant to work with her because she was dark. A Celt recon told me some Celts also were like this because she is associated with death. Ten years later, I can say I have absolutely no fear and have worked with darker and worse gods. (I should probably go to Morrigan soon.) I did however, work heavily with a related deity; Badb. I had good results with her. Especially in dream workings. So, I would say take it slow and see what happens.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Yex

Post by Yex »

SolitaryWoman wrote:I just find it odd that a Goddess so heavily associated with war and bloodshed would call to me. I've always been a peaceful person. But I don't know, it's just a little weird to me. I've never rejected darker aspects of life, I embrace them just as well. But still I'm not a warrior. But if she is actually calling me, or whatever, I can't just ignore it.
I consider myself a pacifist, but something I've learned in working with the Morrigan is to broaden my definition of what a "warrior" is. One can be a warrior for the cause of compassion. Also, based not only on my own experience, but those of others that I know, the Morrigan often appears during times of difficulty (or impending difficulty) in our lives, to guide us through the "battles" we face in our day-to-day existence. Having to deal with with health issues, turmoil in the workplace, difficulties in our relationships - all of these require a level of struggle, and it's good to have someone beckoning you onward.
love is the whole and more than all
SolitaryWoman

Post by SolitaryWoman »

Lady_Lilith wrote:
SolitaryWoman wrote:

Snow

Why not concentrate on working with Morrigan first? Like introductions and other things, before you make a big step and incorporate her into all aspects. I say this because she may end up being one of many patron deities you have. She called me too, when I was a teen, and I was hesitant to work with her because she was dark. A Celt recon told me some Celts also were like this because she is associated with death. Ten years later, I can say I have absolutely no fear and have worked with darker and worse gods. (I should probably go to Morrigan soon.) I did however, work heavily with a related deity; Badb. I had good results with her. Especially in dream workings. So, I would say take it slow and see what happens.

I've never felt any pull to any deity in particular. So this is all kind of strange to me. I've struggled with my faith for years and years. So I suppose I'm a little...nervous. Part of me feels like I'm going crazy....

It makes sense it would happen, I've been looking to Irish mythology for a while now in some attempt to understand my roots. But I feel totally clueless on what to do, though it's not like I'm not used to doing ritual work.

I'm sorry for rambling. I guess I'm a little excited too. New territory and all that! :anxious:
You are what you love
Not who loves you
SolitaryWoman

Post by SolitaryWoman »

Yex wrote:
SolitaryWoman wrote:I just find it odd that a Goddess so heavily associated with war and bloodshed would call to me. I've always been a peaceful person. But I don't know, it's just a little weird to me. I've never rejected darker aspects of life, I embrace them just as well. But still I'm not a warrior. But if she is actually calling me, or whatever, I can't just ignore it.
I consider myself a pacifist, but something I've learned in working with the Morrigan is to broaden my definition of what a "warrior" is. One can be a warrior for the cause of compassion. Also, based not only on my own experience, but those of others that I know, the Morrigan often appears during times of difficulty (or impending difficulty) in our lives, to guide us through the "battles" we face in our day-to-day existence. Having to deal with with health issues, turmoil in the workplace, difficulties in our relationships - all of these require a level of struggle, and it's good to have someone beckoning you onward.

I think you might be right. I've been trying to reconnect to my 'roots' if you will. And it's been a bit hard to me because Irish mythology tends to be all battle and glory and all that and I've always been a bit of a hippie. I was talking about this with a friend today and he told me that I might not be a 'warrior' in a physical sense, but I've done work in a number of causes. Perhaps that's my battlefield :?

ugh, sounds so cheesy...
You are what you love
Not who loves you
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

Yex wrote:
Yex, this is true. The warrior aspect of our lives is important even for those who lead pacifist lives. Well said.
Myrth
Becks

Post by Becks »

Yex wrote:
Very well said Yex. smiley_dance
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I had a past life memory crop up in a dream some years ago. I was on a hilltop, overlooking a battle. I was with two people that I know in my present life. We were all witches, for lack of a better word. A more apt description might be battlefield medic. At any rate, one of the warriors from the battle came running up the hill to us. He asked why we weren't down in the battle using our abilities to help our side. We replied that we were warriors of a different sort, and that we there to help the wounded and dying, no matter which side they were from.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

SolitaryWoman wrote:This may seem an odd question but I have these rituals that I've been doing for a few years now that are mostly revolve around Goddesses of the Moon and changing seasons. Do I continue to practice those and simply add rituals and prayers for Morrigan to my practice? Or do I need to do a total overhaul of my practice. I've heard it's fairly difficult to offend a deity without going out of your way specifically to offend them.
A lot of modern Morrigan devotees have written that the Morrigan symbolizes not just war and bloodshed, but sovereignty. In the past, sovereignty meant the right to rule a kingdom, but in a modern context, the Morrigan presides over the sovereignty to rule over oneself (and includes the courage to fight to protect one's sovereignty).
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”