Who is this Goddess in the green?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Wanderer022

Who is this Goddess in the green?

Post by Wanderer022 »

Hello everyone :) I'm new on this forum, and also quite new to paganism. I don't feel like I can call myself a wiccan because I don't practice magic. As of now my worshipping method is a little all over the place, so I prefer to call myself a pagan at this moment.

I came from Christianity, and I read some books and immediately I felt a connection to this, especially when I read up on Christian history.

I have a strong connection to nature, and my whole life I've been talking to plants and animals.

I started doing what Scott Cunningham suggested in his book, which was get to know the God and Goddess by spending time outside. Ever since I started I felt a stronger bond with the Goddess and the moon and the earth than the God and the sun.

Now, I believe I have been contacted by a Goddess.

I'm not sure which one because She doesn't seem to fit the ones I've read about so far. One evening when I was watching the moon, I closed my eyes and meditated, and I saw Her for the first time, and since then everytime I think about the Goddess She comes to mind immediately.

She's always between something green, I see a lot of leaves around Her, She has long red hair, and sometimes She's wearing a white dress, and sometimes She's naked. I seem to strongly associate Her with the moon as well as with nature in general. Those are the first things that come to mind when I think of Her. I never see Her with weapons or even with specific animals, She seems to just be wandering in nature, humming softly, and She seems kind and peaceful. Who is She???

Blessed be all :D
YanaKhan

Re: Who is She?

Post by YanaKhan »

Hello, Wanderer022!
Please go to the top section of the forum and introduce yourself. Thank you!
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

That's required? Okay then. :) sorry. Will do.
"Wandering re-establishes the perfect harmony that once existed between man and the universe."

Blessed be *
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

Anyone???
"Wandering re-establishes the perfect harmony that once existed between man and the universe."

Blessed be *
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Wanderer022 wrote: I'm not sure which one because She doesn't seem to fit the ones I've read about so far. One evening when I was watching the moon, I closed my eyes and meditated, and I saw Her for the first time, and since then everytime I think about the Goddess She comes to mind immediately.

She's always between something green, I see a lot of leaves around Her, She has long red hair, and sometimes She's wearing a white dress, and sometimes She's naked. I seem to strongly associate Her with the moon as well as with nature in general. Those are the first things that come to mind when I think of Her. I never see Her with weapons or even with specific animals, She seems to just be wandering in nature, humming softly, and She seems kind and peaceful. Who is She???

Blessed be all :D
Well, Lilith has red hair according to my UPG and old artist renders. She is associated with the wilderness, the moon, the night, and wild animals. (She also tends to appear naked at times.)

This picture is the SFW version. (No nudity is allowed on the board.) The NSFW you can find via Google.

Not sure if that is her, it could be Artemis/Diana, the moon goddess of the hunt. (Or Hecate) It could also be Ishtar who is the daughter of the moon god and has some traits similar to Lilith, though I normally see her with black hair and the Sumerians are the black headed ones. So it is doubtful.

The goddess of Wicca to Gardner was Aradia. She is the Messianic daughter of Diana, that came to teach people witchcraft.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Becks

Post by Becks »

This could be a specific goddess...like any of the above mentioned. I would also add Cerridwen or Brigid could be possibilities. I'd like to add a another possibility that perhaps she is an archetypal goddess manifestation that isn't something directly found in a book or online as we understand it. Maybe it is a true connection to goddess or divine energy, and as you describe her-that is how your human brain chose to represent her so that you could categorize the interaction and make sense of it?

honestly, what was your feeling? You are more likely to come to know the right answer then we are.
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

It's quite interesting, She does look like the picture of Lilith, but no wild animals. It's usually just Her.

When I ser Her, She looks straight at me. But not in an intimidating way.

Personally, I thought that maybe She could be Gaia (mother earth), because I "feel" Her all around me when I'm outside. I live on a farm so I'm constantly in nature. But in my opinion, it's odd to me that I associate Her so strongly with the moon when She is an earth Goddess? I don't know why that feels odd, to think of Gaia not fitting the moon thing. I mean, the moon is part of nature too?

It's also entirely possible that that image was just created by my brain, but it feels to me like it could have meaning. That maybe that could be Her. It feels like more than just a picture my brain made to me so that's why I asked. :)

Blessed be *
Becks

Post by Becks »

Hello wanderer, I don't think I was clear, but I wasn't trying to insinuate that what happened was only in your head, or didn't have meaning. I don't think that's the case. I'm sure it was meaningful.

I was trying to get at the idea that archetypal energy is the embodyment of the "ness" of something. In my experience gods and goddesses, or spirits, aren't always as they seem in the literature. The energies can be very large and our human minds have to make sense of them, so yes, "Gaia" or Mother Nature or "Mother Earth" is another way of labelling what I was trying to express. She may be a "specific" goddess in the sense of pantheons, but she could also be a manifestation of "the goddess"
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

It's okay, I understood what you meant. I'm just really bad at expressing myself. :)

I sort of interpreted this whole thing as Her being a little playful. Like She's telling me: "Nope, I'm not telling you My name, but here's what I look like, go find me!" Haha. Sorry I'm a playful person, I guess I will always interpret the deities as being playful too. :D

Blessed be *
Lord_of_Nightmares

Have you tried asking her to reveal herself to you?
- Devi
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

First thing I did. When I started, I didn't know exactly who I was praying to. I wanted a God/Goddess to "choose" me. So at first I was praying to everyone and asking Them to reveal Themselves to me. Until that night that I saw Her the first time. I took it as a sign that She was the one that chose me.

I have specifically asked Her as well but all I'm getting is the image of Her. As well as feelings of Her being around when I'm outside. Feels like She's following me haha. She hasn't actually spoken to me.

Blessed be *
Lord_of_Nightmares

Hmmm... Perhaps it will come in time.
- Devi
Wanderer022

Post by Wanderer022 »

Yes perhaps.

What's really interesting to me as well is the feeling I get from Her when She's "following me around". I get the impression She wants to be a loving, protective Mother to me. Like She's guarding me like a mother guards her child. She's "taking my hand" when I walk outside, so as to make sure nothing bad happens.

That is something I didn't have while growing up. I believe that's one of the reasons She chose me.

Blessed be *
SilverAntlers

Re: Who is this Goddess in the green?

Post by SilverAntlers »

I agree with what Becks said above. My personal opinions on the God and Goddess are a lot like that. The first thing that came to mind when you mentioned red hair and lots of greenery was the Celtic goddess Brighid. The most important myth about her is when her son Ruadán was slain while fighting for the Fomorians, supernatural beings in Celtic mythology. She invented keening, a combination of weeping and singing, while mourning for him. Because of this myth, she was strongly connected to mothers and was usually seen as a motherly figure, something that you mentioned, Wanderer. You also mentioned that you live on a farm. Brighid is also the goddess of cattle and livestock. Her most important symbol is a single flame and a type of cross known as Brighid's cross that is woven from rushes. If you know anything about Catholicism, you may have heard of Saint Brigit. That is her Christian form. Just food for thought. Hope you connect with your mystery goddess!

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”