Ixchel: Mayan Moon Goddess

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Ixchel glyph.png
Ixchel glyph.png (9.04 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
Photo source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixchel

Ixchel or Ix Chel is the Maya goddess mostly connected with medicine, fertility and pregnancy and therefore she is considered to be the guardian of doctors, midwives, healers and shamans. She is associated with the moon (particularly its waning phase), earth, water especially in the form of rain, weaving, divination and war. Her name probably comes from the stem ‘chel’ meaning rainbow, it was written with a pictogram signifying ‘red’ and that is why she is called Lady of the Rainbow.

She was mostly worshipped on the islands of Cozumel and Isla Mujeres. On Cozumel there are many evidences of women’s pilgrimages aiming to ask the goddess for good marriages and offspring. Ruins of her temples remained till modern times and it is considered that the priests hidden in a huge statue were announcing the messages of the oracle. The second island was famous for small statues of the goddess which were left there as a thank you gift. They were so numerous that Hernandez de Cordoba, a Spanish conquistador, called this place Isla Mujeres meaning ‘The Island of Women’. Ixchel was also worshipped in Acalan and not much is known about the specific cult but there is a supposition that certain rituals were taking place during the sixth day of the moon phase and after childbirth when a woman was having a bath.

Ixchel hieroglyph.gif
Ixchel hieroglyph.gif (31.8 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
Photo source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/183873597257967806/

She was presented as an old woman with the ears of a jaguar or a serpent entwined around her head and sometimes she had claws instead of feet and hands. Jaguars and serpents together with eagles were the most important animals for the Maya because a powerful and persistent jaguar was able to trespass the barrier between the world of the day and the night** while a serpent crawling on the soil and shedding its skin was the symbol of earth (as it was already mentioned in the blog entry about Gaia a serpent symbolizes wisdom, life cycles and renewal, you can also read about the sign of Ouroboros ). As a guardian of women and children she was also depicted with a rabbit, the symbol of fertility and large families.

One of her symbols was an inverted jug resembling a womb and thus being the symbol of menstruation, dryness and the time of growing old (similarly to the waning phase of the moon). An inverted jug was also the symbol of rain and rainy season therefore Ixchel was considered to cause floods. Crossed bones were traditionally attributed to her and she was believed to wear a skirt with this image which was a connection with the world of the dead and had purifying abilities (e.g. when someone died because of plague their bones were put on the crossroads to make the disease go away from people’s homes). Ixchel also carried a spear and a shield during wars.

Article adapted and excerpted from: https://landofgoddesses.wordpress.com/2012/01/

jacguar pendant.jpg
jacguar pendant.jpg (15.99 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
Photo source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/198651033539301742/

obsidian jacguar tooth pendant.jpg
obsidian jacguar tooth pendant.jpg (20.02 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
Photo source: http://www.novica.com/itemdetail/?pid=151119

bluejay_1919

Re: Ixchel: Mayan Moon Goddess

Post by bluejay_1919 »

Thanks for posting this!! I've always been drawn to Ixchel. My husband and I visited the Tulum Mayan temples in Cozumel and it's was magical. The energy there was amazing. After our honemoon, I became pregnant and had a very difficult pregnancy. I looked more into Ixchel and we almost named our baby girl "Ixchella". After looking more into my culture of Guarani Indians, we went with Avanee.

I read that Ixchel was considered a guardian over pregnant women, babies and small children. And her ties with the moon really stuck with me. During my pregnancy I needed all the strength and protection I could get and in the end, I had a beautiful, healthy baby girl. Maybe with some thanks to Ixchel. :)
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Thanks for sharing your story. It was quite magical. This goddess is often symbolized by the black jacguar, native to Central America. Congratulations on your little one, btw. :wink:
mama cat.jpg

Both photos: AP Photos/by Karel Navarro

mama cat 2.jpg

bluejay_1919

Post by bluejay_1919 »

Wow, gorgeous pictures! I just want to snuggle against that soft fur!
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

This is a cool post. My family is native. We've been here in Georgia since before records were kept on paper. ...

I won't get into histories and culture mixing and things like that but I just want to thank you. This just gave me some personal info on a dream I had regarding our( my family's) past. ...

It won't make sense to you, but it solidifies something I was " told " In a dream. I've never heard this information but it is linked to this ( these ) dream(s) .

I just wanted you to know your information always has a purpose. Thank you.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”