What Deities Chose You?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Katrinkah

Re: What Deities Chose You?

Post by Katrinkah »

Ganesh & Saraswati
Ekorus

Post by Ekorus »

My Patron is The Green Man. I don't view him as the only God I revere, but I feel a kinship to him for some reason.

I know Wiccans aren't necessarily supposed to believe in the Christian devil, nor in evil necessarily, but when I was 7 he came to me in a dream. Scared the heck out of me. I didn't know until later that the fact he appeared to me with a large divot in his forehead like a large pothole, was significant. I found out later that the conscience is housed in the frontal lobe of the brain. He didn't have one. Something I had no knowledge of was present in an evil deity in my dream. So, do I believe in evil? Yes. Do I believe there is an evil deity? I KNOW there is. He visited me. Is he my patron? Oh Lord and Lady, I certainly hope not!
manicpixidream

Post by manicpixidream »

I am actually struggling with this right now as I have had my heart set on a Celtic pantheon, but realized Persephone has been calling me since I was a child, maybe 8-10 years old. Brigid has also stood out to me and gives me peace about wanting a Celtic Goddess, but I still feel as though Persephone is my matron to some extent. My brain likes specificity, so having two pantheons call me is frustrating.
:flyingwitch: manicpixidream :flyingwitch:
Vasilisa

Post by Vasilisa »

This post is long, but I hope you will bear with me as writing it has been something of an illumination. Manicpixidream, I hope you may find a useful grain or two to help you in your search for unity; for various pantheons are often different expressions of the same light, the same set of ideas, and specificity may be found not only in a thing itself but in the relationship between it and another.

A bit about my favorite deities:

Bast. Like many of us, I've always been connected with cats; I've always had a cat in the house and kept figures of Bast around since I was very small. As an adult, the parents of my childhood best friend remembered this, and sent me a Bast statue as a gift; she sits in my bedroom, and I enjoy working with her often and connecting with her even at times in my life when I'm not actively practicing magic.

Inanna/Ishtar. I've always felt a great kinship with "Descent into the Underworld" stories; it's one of those things where you just know a particular pattern, story, or deity is "yours," and you just zone in on it and all its variations like a bird flying south for the winter. As a kid, I was into the Persephone story, and HC Andersen's "The Snow Queen"; at university, I was doing a series of comparative folklore classes and spent a lot of time working with the story of Lemminkäinen's mother in the Finnish Kalevala. Eventually you realize that all these different threads and tributaries are leading you back to one source; while I do gravitate towards Western/Northern European renditions of the Descent, the truth is that Inanna in her oldest variation might be the absolute root of all that, for me. I also wonder if she may be my means of connecting to Venus, my ruling planet.

Žemyna. The Lithuanian goddess of the Earth. My mom's side of the family is Lithuanian, and Žemyna (in some way, for me) signifies my maternal ancestors.

Minerva, usually in the form of owls. Friends often give me owl tchotchkes and art and things as gifts - one of the many ways that a deity or totem may choose you, I think.

Hermes/Mercury. I'd "forgotten" about Hermes until I read this thread. I'm beginning to practice actively again after a long time dormant, and have been wondering about how I might incorporate my family (especially my live-in boyfriend/partner) into my work. My boyfriend is a physicist, and extremely logical and secular; we've known each other a long time, and in college I used to joke that he was like Kay in The Snow Queen (lost in "the icy game of reason"), or the aforementioned Lemminkäinen (a rascal/trickster-like character known by the epithet "The Handsome Man Far-Minded"). He's always known I'm a big pagan and doesn't really mind, but he doesn't participate, either; I understand that our household is necessarily balanced by his energy, though it's been a challenge to actively work with it.

I was scrolling through this thread this afternoon, and someone mentioned Hermes; suddenly I remembered how much I've always loved him, and how much he reminds me of my boyfriend: quick-witted rascal and articulate teacher, the scientist who now works in finance. I remembered how Mercury sits with Minerva atop Grand Central Terminal - one of our favorite places, a crossroads of crossroads that we quite literally walk through nearly every day - and how we have often said that place is for us a kind of temple or church if ever we had one one. I remembered how I used to adore that building when I was small, and how - when I first moved back to New York - I would find excuses to walk through it just to look up at him, because he reminded me of what I came here to do: to write, to act, to make films, to communicate...things that I've also been neglecting for myself in recent years. He popped into my mind as I was reading this afternoon, and I quite literally laughed out loud with tears in my eyes: just like greeting one of your best old friends after a long time absent.

I think I'm going to get a small statue of him and put it on the altar, right between two of my owls. I'm excited for the kind of work he will guide me to do, for myself and our family. My boyfriend is wiser than he knows, and I think he may understand the gesture. ;)
rigormortisgirl

Post by rigormortisgirl »

Kali Ma chose me. I had asked for her to appear to me(asked for my matron/patron deity to show themselves to me) several years ago but she never did and it was because I was not ready and I still had ego to be destroyed. Kail was the only goddess that scared me sensenless when I saw her pictures so that's the ironic part lol. She appeared after the very last task was complete in my life that happened in order to further get rid of my ego.
She appeared in a series of three dreams before I finally got the picture that she chose me to work with her. The first dream involved her and Pele discussing me and I was watching from a distance. I guess they were choosing which one was best suited for me and I wasn't really shocked to find out that both of them are similar. I also had a dream of Hecate and I often encounter things concerning her so I'm not sure if Hecate is there behind the scenes as well or not but Kali definately is here with me and for me.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”