Paying Homage to Demeter

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
MagicKiara

Paying Homage to Demeter

Post by MagicKiara »

So I know about Demeter and how she would appear as an old hag and take care of other peoples' children while her own daughter Persephone spent time with her husband in the fall and winter months. Anyways, I know she has a connection to the home and hearth as well. I am in the market to buy a foreclosed home that will give me and my own two daughters everything we need (2-3 bedrooms, nice neighborhood, good school district, etc.). I was planning on casting a spell and calling on Demeter for help to move things forward. I was wondering what offerings I could give in return when I cast the spell, or what should be placed at the altar, etc.

Any and all help welcome! Thanks in advance!
Siona

Re: Paying Homage to Demeter

Post by Siona »

MagicKiara wrote:So I know about Demeter and how she would appear as an old hag and take of other peoples' children while her own daughter Persephone spent time with her husband in the fall and winter months.
In the classical myths Demeter did wander the earth in the form of an old woman for a time while searching for Persephone, but she didn't steal children during that time...
Anyways, I know she has a connection to the home and hearth as well. I am in the market to buy a foreclosed home that will give me and my own two daughters everything we need (2-3 bedrooms, nice neighborhood, good school district, etc.). I was planning on casting a spell and calling on Demeter for help to move things forward. I was wondering what offerings I could give in return when I cast the spell, or what should be placed at the altar, etc.
Demeter doesn't have much connection to the home, and almost none to the hearth, other than being a patron to bread makers (along with Hestia). Hestia, who is the embodiment of the hearth, and creator of the home in Greek myth, would be much better suited to that need.

Still, if you want to call on Demeter in particular, this site is a good source for information. Offerings to Demeter could include barley, wheat, mint and even pork (or pig shaped cookies). Really, any produce would be good, as well as honey, and olive oil. Wine would not have been offered to Demeter.
MagicKiara

Re: Paying Homage to Demeter

Post by MagicKiara »

Sorry, I didn't mean she stole children, but, from what I read, she would come into the home as a sort of nursemaid, and she would put protective spells around them, singing the spell like a lullaby. Then she would place the baby into the fire. Although the spells of protection kept the baby completely safe, the parents who caught her would chase her form their home. Hence the connection I assumed...

I was always moving from place to place as a kid, and I hated it. Always having to make new friends. I really don't want that for my own children. Also, thanks for the link! I'll definitely be checking it out! :D

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”