Greek Pantheon

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
narveya

Greek Pantheon

Post by narveya »

Hello again,
I've done tons of research regarding Hellenic polytheist, Hellenismos and just general culture research as I've started to develop more connection to Apollo. I'm not thinking of leaning myself completely as I view myself more as an eclectic, I love learning new culture and my goal of learning here is to give respect to Apollo. I'm also afraid of offending any Hellenismos/Hellenic polytheists out there, which is the main point of my post.

Maybe you can share views, thoughts and a brief information on working with Apollo or Greek Pantheon in general, incorporating the pantheon into eclectic path? About the festivals date and celebrations, do you follow them strictly or just the day related to your primary deity, if you're not in Hellenic polytheist/Hellenismos? :?
Thanks in advance!
I sing and listen to the hymn of the light.
Solitary, Secular Witch • Science-Techno Witchery • Graeco-Roman leanings • Devotee of Apollo
PrimroseStargazer

Re: Greek Pantheon

Post by PrimroseStargazer »

Hello there!!!!

I have been following the Greek pantheon for about 8 years now. I have known Artemis and Hera since I was a child. Apollo is not exactly my go to god, he is a little cocky and picks his followers, so I may not be able to help you exactly with him. HOWEVER, Festivals and celebrations are at your pace. You don't need to follow them to the t, but incorporate something of theirs in the celebrations. Pan and Dionysus need dancing and wine for sure. Apollo would be good during storms in the day time. Maybe bring in his medical symbol into the ceremony or maybe write some poetry for him :D

The old school festivals don't need to be followed today. Greek and Egyptian pantheons are two of the most understanding groups (although they hate each other lol!!!) Hope I helped!
Siona

Post by Siona »

Honestly, I've been on both sides, reconstructionist and eclectic, and there's always going to be someone offended by what you're doing, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. :) I think you have to just go with what works for you. I think the ancient knowledge that has survived is very important in understanding the Gods, because we have to look at them through their own cultural lens at times, or know what would be considered pleasing or offensive, but that doesn't always mean you have to do everything in the exact same way... times change, after all. But there are some things, like understanding how the Greeks viewed purity and such, and how they purified places/people, or some of the main elements of ritual, which could be something easily brought into an eclectic path, to honor the culture the deity came from.

As far as holidays, personally what worked best for me was following the repeating monthly sacred days from the Greek calendar (which worked well, as there is one associated with each of the 'primary' deities I follow), and then the wheel of the year festivals, given a somewhat Greek twist, so I can honor the gods, but still feel connected to the cycles of nature around me (which do not match up as well with Greek cycles). I know people who worship Artemis who only follow her yearly sacred days. Some might not follow any of the Greek holidays. Again, it really comes down to what works for you.

PrimroseStargazer wrote:Greek and Egyptian pantheons are two of the most understanding groups (although they hate each other lol!!!)
I wouldn't go that far... There are some cultural issues at play - where the Greeks imposed a lot of their symbolism onto Egyptian religion, but there was a lot of willing syncretism as well. There are people today who are Greco-Egyptian reconstructionists, and plenty of people (myself included) who worship both pantheons without issue.
narveya

Post by narveya »

Thanks a lot! I guess I will start with moreee research and planning the festivals to fit my current schedule. I saw people celebrating every moment but I guess that will be impossible for me as college student :P
Oh, maybe someone can share their experience with Apollo?
Solitary, Secular Witch • Science-Techno Witchery • Graeco-Roman leanings • Devotee of Apollo
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

narveya wrote:Thanks a lot! I guess I will start with moreee research and planning the festivals to fit my current schedule. I saw people celebrating every moment but I guess that will be impossible for me as college student :P
Oh, maybe someone can share their experience with Apollo?
He's a Sadist. =.=

Let me explain. I'm a somewhat creative person, writing being my main expression though I do dance, sing and voice act. I've been following Artemis since starting my spiritual path, with Her being in my life pretty much since I was around 8. It seems these factors called Apollon's attention to me. However, I've never been contacted by a God before and (I've found) I'm a touch shy with the male sex. His response? Dump as much inspiration into me as He possibly could. It was so bad I couldn't sleep for 2 weeks! I had so many new stories suddenly, I was bursting into song all the time and trying VERY hard not to dance in public all of a sudden.

Needless to say I gave in and as soon as I gave Him his proper due he calmed it down. I could practically FEEL the grin of triumph. He will get his way one way or another... however, his is very kind with me, possibly because He can sense I'm still a bit skittish.
narveya

Post by narveya »

Ahh I guess I can understand the inspiration part, it helps me tho after being pressed by my teachers and friends because I stop wiriting for a while, hell writer's block :)
Guess, the biggest nudge I had when for no reason my mind told me to go out in the sun. It became my daily ritual tho, on sunrise while playing music on shuffle (just let Him choose), just walk around the neighborhood. He's a good figure and a motivator, but I think he's too charming haha
So far, He's the only God I feel comfortable with cx
Ah yes, another question. Is there any difference between Greek Apollo and Roman Apollo?
Siona

Post by Siona »

narveya wrote: Ah yes, another question. Is there any difference between Greek Apollo and Roman Apollo?
Not really, no. Unlike some of the other deities, he was lifted pretty much entirely from the Greek pantheon without having a Roman equivalent to be 'merged' with. (As an example, unlike, say, Aphrodite and Venus, who did have different origins and traits before the Romans sort of merged the two.)
narveya

Post by narveya »

Thanks again!
I'm really happy with all the answers :D

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”