Calling upon a God or Goddess

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
UPB3ATMAGIC

Calling upon a God or Goddess

Post by UPB3ATMAGIC »

I see a lot of threads and stories about people being contacted by a god or goddess.
But I have a particular goddess or two that I want to meet.
What if they don't come to me? Can I call upon them, or is that a no-no?
If I can, how do I go about it?
Lumpino

Re: Calling upon a God or Goddess

Post by Lumpino »

You could try meditation about a name of goddess you wont come to you. This metode is often used for example by hindu Bhaktiyogis. See Ramkrishna:
http://www.ramakrishnavivekananda.info/ ... vision.htm

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MLEqluvMII8/T ... poster.jpg

It may take a longer time, so in ancient Greece and Egypt was used occasionally sleep. More precisely the last thoughts before sleep. See Greece and Egyptian papyri.
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

It's perfectly fine to ask deities for an audience, although there's no guarantee that they'll agree to it. In that regard, the gods can seem very human; either they'll communicate with you or they won't. In my experience, if a god has nothing to say to you, you'll be greeted with a ringing silence.

As far as establishing a connection with them, or a communication, everyone goes about it differently. For me, I like to use meditation and either my tarot cards or rune set. it can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. I've simply spoken out loud before and gotten a response, but there have also been times where I tried every method I could and received nothing. Mostly, what's important is to remain open to communication, and to keep an eye out for possible signs. That being said, don't leap on the first odd rock you see and say, "Aha! An obvious message from the divine!" There's a degree of certainty you feel when you communicate with the gods, at least for me, a knowing feeling that you've been contacted by them.

I hope that helps. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Siona

Post by Siona »

When I want to establish a relationship with a deity I do a lot of research on them and their historical worship, I create a shrine (or altar, whatever you like to call it) dedicated to them, make offerings to them, and pray to them at the shrine. Sometimes I might also make a special trip to a place of importance to them - like if a deity were associated with the sea, I might drive down to the ocean and make the offering/prayers there, instead, to show my dedication.

As was mentioned, sometimes the deity will respond in some way, and sometimes they won't, and sometimes it takes many tries to establish any sort of bond. Try different methods, but don't be afraid to try the same method several times as well. Occasionally you might still feel it's important to honor a particular deity at certain times, even if you never "hear" back from them, and that is fine, too.
Seventhwatcher

Post by Seventhwatcher »

Chanting works Amazing for getting the attention of a God/dess. Get comfortable. Close your eyes. And say out loud and in your mind the name. Slow, drawn out. Like this...

ZEEEEEEEE- OOOOOOOSSSS

Zeus

Or, Aaaaaaaaahhhhh- teeeeeeeeeem

Over and over and over.
Kyrie

Post by Kyrie »

This is just from my own experience.

Anytime I have tried to make a connection with any particular deity, I would get absolutely nothing. Once I stopped trying to force a connection, they finally came through!
Research and meditation is fine to open yourself up to the connection, but ultimately it's up to them whether or not they want to work with you. The strongest connections happen naturally.

I read somewhere - possibly on this forum - where someone was talking about how some people treat deities like they are Pokemon. As if they can just be like "Athena, I choose you!" or "Osiris, I choose you!" To me, that's disrespectful. Not that I'm saying that's what you are trying to do - just something to keep in mind.

Bottom line: Don't try to force anything to happen. Just allow the connection to come naturally. It may take longer than you wish, but during that time, you can absolutely do some research and meditation to see what pops out at you. Just be respectful and don't try to force it.
Badgerstate

Post by Badgerstate »

Meditating on a God/Goddess' name always seemed to work for me.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”