Appropriate Offerings for Brigid

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Yex

Appropriate Offerings for Brigid

Post by Yex »

I'm attending a local ritual for Imbolc coming up, and it will be dedicated to Brigid. I don't know much about her, aside from what I've read on wikipedia. I'll probably do some more research on her, but here's a general question: what are some ideas for an appropriate offering to her? Also, I've read that she is the patron of poets, and also that she often reciprocates offerings made to her with equivalent blessings. As I am a musician, singer, and songwriter, I was wondering if anyone had an idea of a physical offering I could make (as opposed to, say writing a song or poem for her, which would not fit in with the public ritual I am attending) that would reflect my role as a poet and invite blessings into that area of my life.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
love is the whole and more than all
Siona

Re: Appropriate Offerings for Brigid

Post by Siona »

Does it have to be a food or drink offering, or would any sort of physical offering work? Would it be possible to leave a physical copy of a poem or song as the offering, written on a small rolled up sheet of paper perhaps? You could also make a small clay or wax version of an instrument you play, or of a music note, or something like that. Or you could perhaps write a poem or song for her in private before the ritual, and simply leave something somewhat related to it as a stand in... like write a poem about Brighid herself, and leave one of her crosses as the offering, while saying a short little private prayer while making the offering referencing the poem.
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

This post might give you some ideas:
Connecting with Brighid?
I'm gonna throw a wild idea out: why not play the spoons for the ritual? It's musical and spoons are connected with food and therefore connected to home. Even if you don't play a specific tune, just the rhythmic tapping with help raise energy. You could draw on the spoons with oil or nontoxic marker. Perhaps on one spoon you could write Brighid's name in a magickal alphabet, and on the other spoon you could draw a sigil related to blessings that you'd like to receive. Just my crazy two cents. :P
To learn more about Brighid, you can visit Encyclopedia Mythica and Godchecker.
Yex

Post by Yex »

I've decided on a symbolic offering of smoked salmon, as my band is called Salute to the Salmon.
love is the whole and more than all
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

I like it! :)
Myrth
Black Cloud

Post by Black Cloud »

"People with a high tolerance for boredom can get a lot of thinking done." -Stephen King
“For every woman is at heart a witch.” -Charles Leland
“Men argue, nature acts.” -Voltaire
“Our life is the creation of our mind.” -Buddha
“Any person capable of angering you becomes your master.” -Epictetus
“Facts don’t cease to exist because they are ignored.” -Aldous Huxley

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”