Should matron goddess match your ancestry?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Mystic Phoenix

Should matron goddess match your ancestry?

Post by Mystic Phoenix »

Hello everyone!

1) I am very new to Wicca/Witchcraft. I have been reading and researching about Freya (Freyja) and Isis to find a matron goddess. I am a bit confused because I have a little bit of everything in my ancestry. For some reason, I am under the impression that following a goddess "should" go along the lines of your ancestry. (Maybe I get this impression because that's what I've read online.) Well, I recently took a DNA test and I am Italian/Greek, Spanish, Native American, African, Finland, Scandinavia, Irish, and others with very little percentages. I am drawn to the Egyptian Goddess, Isis, and the Norse Goddess, Freya (Freyja). Would it be a bad custom to follow any of these Goddesses even though I may not have a cultural ancestry in common and don't look like them either (blonde hair)?

2) Also, I cannot decide between the two, but I feel like I relate more to Freya. I feel that the reason I added Isis to the list is mostly because Im trying to make an African connection subconsciously to attempt to match my ancestry and because there's more info on her.

3) I cannot find more information on Freya. How does one continue to grow with a goddess with limited information about them?

Any advice & tips is greatly appreciated!
Siona

Re: Should matron goddess match your ancestry?

Post by Siona »

Ancestry is not a requirement for working with a deity. Many people do not worship deities that match their ancestry (myself included). Even in ancient times not everyone worshiped their local/ancestral deities - Isis, for example, was hugely popular in many parts of the ancient world. We know that she had a temple in Pompeii (a Roman colony at the time of it's destruction), even though she was an Egyptian deity. (Heck, even the name Isis comes to us from the Greeks/Romans! The Egyptians would have called her something closer to Aset.) The Egyptians also adopted foreign deities into their pantheon from time to time.

As for learning about a deity which seems to have limited information surrounding them, you might just have to do a bit of digging. Sometimes looking at historical and scholarly texts can have better results. (I also see a few books about Freya specifically on Amazon, although I don't know if they're any good or not.) Also talking to other followers can help a lot, as well as communing directly with the deity when you can.

As for making a choice, there's actually no reason you can approach and worship both goddesses, if those are the deities you are drawn to. You might also just open yourself up, send out a general prayer, and see if a particular deity answers...
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

My pantheon have nothing to do with my ancestry. Its not a rule that your deities or main god/goddess need to be. Whomever of the gods calls to you is for you and you alone to make that choice.
Mystic Phoenix

Post by Mystic Phoenix »

Great!!! Thank you so much! Your responses helped me a lot!
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

The gods know that we're all the same on the inside. They don't mind who honors them. I currently worship three gods, and it's only the most recent one that I've worked with that shares a cultural connection with me.
Get to know the gods in the same way you would any new friend: just ask. Who knows more about the gods than They Themselves. ;)
Two of the websites I use for deity information are Encyclopedia Mythica and Godchecker. I hope they help you find out more about Freya. :)
Mystic Phoenix

Post by Mystic Phoenix »

Awesome, thanks, Echo_of_Shadows!
In case anyone is interested, I found these books about Freya on Amazon.com:

Fire Jewel: A Devotional For Freyja by Gefion Vanirdottir
Freyja, Lady, Vanadis: An Introduction to the Goddess by Patricia M. Lafayllve

I'm excited and look forward to working with Freya. The Fire Jewel devotional contains rituals, poems, prayers, and songs for Freya. Now I have a place to start. Thanks all!
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

Just like the others have already said, there is no rule you have to go by ancestry when it comes to following a deity. Always go where your heart leads. Your inner self will never steer you wrong as long as you listen properly. Isis is my main Goddess, I do not know but the basics on Freya, but know many who follow her as well. Glad you found the one that suits you and your needs. Don't forget to thank her and give offerings (I know you probably already have) :)
Mystic Phoenix

Post by Mystic Phoenix »

Thank you, Lillady! One of my Freya books arrived today! I'll make sure to say thanks and give offerings. Thank you!
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I tried to find deities that were in line with my ancestry and just never bonded to any of them. The ones that I was drawn to and have a relationship with are not in line with family at all. You have to go with what you feel drawn to and the relationship will be stronger. If you try to force the relationship it might not be as strong.

I also believe in past lives, and now Im beginning to wonder if the deities I work with (from Hindusim) come from a past life I might have had. I have to explore it further, but I now think that maybe the connections we make to deities come from a past live. Might be worth researching for you as well.
Luna87

Post by Luna87 »

AdastraJunction wrote:My pantheon have nothing to do with my ancestry. Its not a rule that your deities or main god/goddess need to be. Whomever of the gods calls to you is for you and you alone to make that choice.
This is also the same when it comes to me. I also belive you will know in your heart when a god/godess will work with you. :D
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

Sorry for the thread necro, but I have been thinking about this a lot lately.

Recently, in the past few months, I have developed an interest in norse gods. Previous to this, I was pretty exclusively celtic (which is my ancestry). During my research, I was also looking up pagan groups in my area and internationally that are dedicated to norse gods. I found an Odinist group in my area that pretty much only accepts people with germanic or scandanavian ancestry. I was really shocked, but then I found that.. it wasn't that uncommon? There seem to be a lot of specifically Asatru groups that restrict their membership.

I mean no offense by this, because it is their prerogative to dictate who can and cannot join their order, and people are free to believe what they wish. But from my (albiet, newbie to these gods) perspective, it seems ludicrous. I'm sure if I did a DNA test, since my family comes form Ireland and Scotland, there would be some Anglo-Saxon mixed in there so technically I would "fit" their requirement- but I'm not sure if I would want to be apart of any group that told people, "you aren't what we are looking for because you aren't of _____ ancestry". Again, I fully accept it is their right to do so, but I just simply don't agree with it.

So my long-winded rant answer is: I believe that the gods we worship do not have to match our ancestry. Many gods were (and are) worshipped across cultural boundaries, and I don't see why they would distinguish between someone from x and someone from y, if that person is dedicated and true to them.

Also, I was wondering what you thought of the books you purchased on Freya? :)
Mystic Phoenix

Post by Mystic Phoenix »

Hello! Thank you for your reply. To tell you the truth, although I have purchased two Freya books from Amazon, I have not gotten a chance to read them yet. They are pretty thin, so I'm sure it would be a fairly quick read. My delay in reading them has been because I have been entertained by the TV show Vikings on the History Channel and also because I have been looking into joining a coven, in particular, a Gardnerian group. So I've been pretty busy researching and asking questions. I also have an interest in Aradia, from Italy.

I agree with you. Everyone should be free to believe in any of the Gods. Joining a particular physical group may be a different story. I took a DNA test and found that I have about 15 different ethnicities. A very fascinating aspect of my journey of self-discovery. As far as the Freya books go, they are the most in-depth books I can find on her.

The books are:

"Freyja, Lady, Vanadis: An Introduction to the Goddess" by Patricia M. Lafayllve
"Fire Jewel: A Devotional For Freyja" compiled by Gefion Vanirdottir

These books look pretty cool! I look forward to reading them to better understand Freyja. I like her because she is a warrior. Lagertha in the TV show, Vikings, reminds me of her. I love the show! The Vikings' faith in "the gods" are fascinating to watch. Especially when they mention Odin & Freyja.

Hope this helps!
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

Mystic Phoenix wrote:Hello! Thank you for your reply. To tell you the truth, although I have purchased two Freya books from Amazon, I have not gotten a chance to read them yet. They are pretty thin, so I'm sure it would be a fairly quick read. My delay in reading them has been because I have been entertained by the TV show Vikings on the History Channel and also because I have been looking into joining a coven, in particular, a Gardnerian group. So I've been pretty busy researching and asking questions. I also have an interest in Aradia, from Italy.

I agree with you. Everyone should be free to believe in any of the Gods. Joining a particular physical group may be a different story. I took a DNA test and found that I have about 15 different ethnicities. A very fascinating aspect of my journey of self-discovery. As far as the Freya books go, they are the most in-depth books I can find on her.

The books are:

"Freyja, Lady, Vanadis: An Introduction to the Goddess" by Patricia M. Lafayllve
"Fire Jewel: A Devotional For Freyja" compiled by Gefion Vanirdottir

These books look pretty cool! I look forward to reading them to better understand Freyja. I like her because she is a warrior. Lagertha in the TV show, Vikings, reminds me of her. I love the show! The Vikings' faith in "the gods" are fascinating to watch. Especially when they mention Odin & Freyja.

Hope this helps!
I recently started watching Vikings, too :) I'm in the middle of season 2. It's a very well-produced show! I am surrounding myself with vikings media lately it seems.. got norse on the mind ;)

Thanks, I will check these books out as I have also been feeling pulled towards Freyja!
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

I've never had a specific set I really worked with, I've always been drawn to anything Celtic through. I have Scottish/English/Irish ancestry. I do believe that's where it stems from. I started out with Athena. Then I was connecting some with Brigid. I've never really been set in what I believe relating to deities though. I guess you could say I lean somewhat toward agnostic? I believe there is something out there, and everything is connected. I'm just working on it still. I've been really curious about the Norse...I may be dive into it as well.

Also is Vikings good? I've been wanting to watch it!!!
Mystic Phoenix

Post by Mystic Phoenix »

Syelraedhel, how are you watching the past Vikings episodes? I'm only aware of Hulu and Amazon Prime, but they are for a fee.

Thistle, Vikings is awesome! Start from the beginning and don't skip any episodes!

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”