Artemis and Eros

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
WaterNymph99

Artemis and Eros

Post by WaterNymph99 »

Hello all, I was just wondering if Artemis and Eros would be able to "work together"? Do they clash or not? Thanks! :flyingwitch:
Siona

Re: Artemis and Eros

Post by Siona »

Actually, as with many Greek deities, there's a lot of debate as to who Eros' parents are, and in one version Eros is Artemis' son. Beyond that, however, there's not really any historical evidence that they were ever worshiped together, although that doesn't mean they can't be. Probably the best approach would be to ask each deity if there would be any issues with that, and see if you receive any sort of sign or response from either of them.
WaterNymph99

Post by WaterNymph99 »

Siona wrote:Actually, as with many Greek deities, there's a lot of debate as to who Eros' parents are, and in one version Eros is Artemis' son. Beyond that, however, there's not really any historical evidence that they were ever worshiped together, although that doesn't mean they can't be. Probably the best approach would be to ask each deity if there would be any issues with that, and see if you receive any sort of sign or response from either of them.
Thank you, I think I'll try that. I just hope there aren't any issues.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I would like to share my own personal situation, so that you can see another side. (: Just because they may clash in mythology, doesn't mean they will in the 'real world' if that makes sense.

I work with Loki and Freyja. However, they have a history of not getting along at all but both of them chose me to work with them and it's worked out very well. Now, this isn't to say that there aren't times that I feel they're conflicting with one another, but they have one thing in common: Me!

They put aside their differences to help me, as I help them. I think that you could try it, and see how it goes. (: You just never know!
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I also work with both Loki and Freya. Mostly Loki, but Freya has her input too. What stories tell us about deities, and what deities tell us about themselves, doesn't always match up. I tend to go with what the deities in question tell me.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

I have to state since i work with Artemis that i believe that she can work with Eros and here is why

Artemis is the goddess of virgins yes but not virgin like modern use of the word well not unless you use the second version definition and not the first "A person who is naive, innocent, or inexperienced in a particular context"
virgin back in the old days meant one who was not married or child (adding to the whole child like nativity and innocence of a virgin) and this dose not mean that the person could not have sex in fact it means the opposite you could have sex and be a virgin
Artemis was the goddess of virgins in the since that she watched over the girl children and helped them grow till they were able to married the one they wished to
in fact there use be a ritual where when a girl was to be married they would set up a altar of things from their childhood that they loved and it would symbolize the loss of their virginity and their growth to adulthood.
Granted she dose not tend to work with males she is willing to work with the ones that she sees will help her children grow and live the best. So if that means working with Eros for you then Eros she will work with too.
Besides Eros is the goddess of love and as such would be someone she was happy to help when it comes to her followers in order to make sure they are indeed with the one that will love them best.
And also she works with people even after marriage (just so that misconception can be laid to rest) because she is also a goddess of childbirth and again watches over those she considers her children till the day they die.
Siona

Post by Siona »

BabyBear wrote:virgin back in the old days meant one who was not married or child (adding to the whole child like nativity and innocence of a virgin) and this dose not mean that the person could not have sex in fact it means the opposite you could have sex and be a virgin
Sex and virginity in ancient Greece is actually a good deal more complex than that (especially since different regions could have somewhat different concepts), and there is certainly a lot of mythology that backs up a physical aspect, so to speak, of being a virgin. A good book on the subject is "Greek Virginity" by Giulia Sissa. Goes into a lot more detail than I can, including the concept of virginity without the physical component.

Relating to Artemis though, in brief the idea in ancient Greece was that men were purely projective and women purely receptive, so once a woman had sex with a man she would always have his essence and influence in her. This is why Artemis abstained from sex, and so was considered a virgin, because to preside over things like independence, wildness, untouched nature, etc, she had to remain wholly herself and uninfluenced. (Where someone like Hestia, for example, would have other reasons to remain a virgin, but I don't want to get too off-topic. ;))

A lot of those ideas they had don't really remain relevant in our modern society, but understanding why Artemis would abstain from sex (at least in the vast majority of myths), and what that means, does require looking at the issue as the ancient Greeks would have.
Besides Eros is the goddess of love and as such would be someone she was happy to help when it comes to her followers in order to make sure they are indeed with the one that will love them best.
As a side note, Eros is actually a god. To bring it back to the whole virginity thing, a lot of hymns and the like said that the virgin goddesses were unaffected by Eros (and/or Aphrodite), but I don't think that in itself means they necessarily dislike each other or would not work with each other in all situations.
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

Sorry that was autocorrect about Eros ik he's a god sorry and ik it was more then that but the basic very simple version of what it meant and yes she is unaffected by him it's one of the reasons Eros likes her In my opinion anyway I have more on this topic I'm just on vacation sorry if I don't explain it all to well I'm writing befor I go to bed usually
WaterNymph99

Post by WaterNymph99 »

Thank you, everyone, for your input :D It's looking pretty good. I haven't heard from (?) either of them maybe I wasn't paying attention but well thank you
Siona

Post by Siona »

Just remember, sometimes no news is good news in this sort of thing. I think if you don't get any obviously negative signs or answer, you're probably good to go. :)
WaterNymph99

Post by WaterNymph99 »

I think I actually did get a sign.. or maybe it was just the app. I play a game called dragon story and when you hatch dragons, they come with names already chosen. One of them, the forest dragon, was named Artemis. It was most likely just the game's doing but I know I have to be open to the possibility that it was a sign
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Given the situation you've described, I would say that it probably WAS a sign. (: It could be the game's doing, yes, but it definitely seems like it could be a sign as you've been talking about working with Artemis.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
WaterNymph99

Post by WaterNymph99 »

Okay thank you :) I wasn't sure if I was just being paranoid or not
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

I agree with sakura that is a sign for you
i had something like that happen only it came from my boyfriend at the time he started calling me babybear (my now pagan name lol) It filled me with love and happiness and i knew it was more then just cus he gave it to me as a pet name
this was back when i was practicing with Freya why i worked out who my goddess was and i got to looking into artemis and it fit
girl followers of artemis were called little bears in ancient greek and a lot of other things about me fit with her as well lol
WaterNymph99

Post by WaterNymph99 »

Thank you for your input I really believe it's artemis, I find it kind of funny that in the same game I got a dragon named Lyre :D like one of Apollo's symbols lol

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”