The Green Man

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Selena Silverlynx

The Green Man

Post by Selena Silverlynx »

Hello,
I've become recently interested in the Green Man. He seems like an interesting deity, and I wonder which pantheon he belongs to.
I love nature and gardening, and I wonder if he also protects wildlife. Does he protect house-hold pets as well?

Thank you,
Selena :flyingwitch:
Why are black cats associated with witches?
Because black is an awesome colour, cats are awesome, and so are witches. People are actually linking awesomeness to awesomeness to awesomeness. ;)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Green Man

Post by Firebird »

The Green Man is a metaphor for the Lord of the greenwood, or God. He is the vital force in all green growing things, and doesn't belong to any particular pantheon.
BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
MOTHERofDRAGONS

Post by MOTHERofDRAGONS »

And my favorite Male Deity. I live in a partial desert.. So greenery in beloved wherever it grows in my eyes..
To me he's "mother natures consort" ..
And they provide food, and in essence, life.

About pets, i have a different deity for each.. (depending on what the animal is)..
In my home, Bast is cherished.. We have 2 cats that are spoiled rotten. I'd love a dog as well, but it's not in the cards for us ATM.

Blessings
Mama
Selena Silverlynx

firebirdflys wrote:The Green Man is a metaphor for the Lord of the greenwood, or God. He is the vital force in all green growing things, and doesn't belong to any particular pantheon.
BB, Firebird
Thank you.
BB,
Selena
Because black is an awesome colour, cats are awesome, and so are witches. People are actually linking awesomeness to awesomeness to awesomeness. ;)
Selena Silverlynx

MOTHERofDRAGONS wrote:And my favorite Male Deity. I live in a partial desert.. So greenery in beloved wherever it grows in my eyes..
To me he's "mother natures consort" ..
And they provide food, and in essence, life.

About pets, i have a different deity for each.. (depending on what the animal is)..
In my home, Bast is cherished.. We have 2 cats that are spoiled rotten. I'd love a dog as well, but it's not in the cards for us ATM.

Blessings
Mama
Thank you. :)
seidkonacat

Post by seidkonacat »

The Green Man is a puzzling figure. No images have been found of any Green Man of any kind before 400 AD. It may, however have been a long-standing symbol that we just don't have any earlier examples of, or it may have been introduced by another culture or society. The fact that the figure is commonly carved on churches is puzzling, since it's generally assumed that the symbol is a fertility god or spirit. The carved or drawn figures exist in various forms all across Europe, in England, Germany, France, and even as far as Greece. It's one of the more mysterious medieval symbols, but there is a lot of really interesting research on it floating around out there. This site might have more information: http://www.greenmanenigma.com/history.html
Kat
Banned Member

Post by Kat »

what representation of the green man could i use on my altar?
*Blessed Be*
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

a nice green leaf :fairy:
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
MOTHERofDRAGONS

Post by MOTHERofDRAGONS »

Elder trees are considered Male in Celtic mythology.. You may want to look at your pantheons and decide what there tree sex represents...
Just a thought.
MysticDreamFaerie

Post by MysticDreamFaerie »

Oh wow, I'm so glad I found this thread cause I was planning on creating a thread about the green man. Is there any useful books that you can read? I've always found The Green Man very interesting. :flyingwitch:
"Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it." ~Tori Amos

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”