Lilith & Hecate

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Kyrie

Lilith & Hecate

Post by Kyrie »

Does anyone know of any connection between Lilith and Hecate? I feel drawn to both of them, possibly because of their connection to the dark/the shadow self.

This is just my personal opinion, but Lilith seems to be connected to the darkness that consumes and controls. Hecate (as the torch-bearer) seems to be one that has mastered the darkness. I'm wondering if there are any resources to back this up?
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lilith & Hecate

Post by Xiao Rong »

Nera, you should strongly consider checking out Mysteries of the Dark Moon, which discusses both of those goddesses and how it connects to the Shadow in a really positive way. Although I am not a polytheist, I would not necessarily describe Lilith as the consuming and controlling darkness; I think there are many positive and powerful interpretations of her myth as a strong woman who would not accept being anything other than a man's equal.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
__Oracle__

Post by __Oracle__ »

Many people depict them both as evil. Truth is many people fear strong women :-).
Kyrie

Post by Kyrie »

I don't know much about Lilith, but I've been working on a connection with Hecate, and I definitely wouldn't consider her "evil", although she's definitely more of the "in your face" type! She's not one for the sugar-coating, that's for sure!
Jonjonsalinas_

Post by Jonjonsalinas_ »

In my personal opinion, all gods and goddesses have their good and bad sides. As with working with all magick, it's good to always know both sides of the coin ;)
Bright blessings,
Jonathon
MOTHERofDRAGONS

Post by MOTHERofDRAGONS »

I've studied both.. And am a proud witch who honors Hecate.. I love the Lilith stories, but have a hard time grasping ionto her because she's a "possible" figurehead in the bible. And I believe that book is riddled with .. Pardon my language, bull shit... I don't believe that Jesus or the Abrahamic god are indeed truths. But, to each their own. The story of her, is pretty interesting and if I were to believe that book, Lilith would probably be the Goddess type I'd honor. IMHO.
If you feel drawn to her.. And Hecate, why not have both of them if you are a Polytheist. (I am one and have several Gods and Goddesses I honor in my circle) .
Hecate is my main "Goto" Goddess.
She evens me out and I love her personality..
I'm a dark Moon lover.. I do most of my rituals on that Moon. And Spell castings depending on the cycle of the Moon.. You don't have to place yourself in 1 area and ignore feelings to another if your drawn to it. Why not have both as your Goddesses.(I'd only invite 1 in your circle at a time though..) That much energy and power, 2 Goddesses might not like to be so close.
Ask one to leave if she pleases.. Then, once you feel her presence gone, invite the other. Everyone is happy.

I ALWAYS leave separate offerings in different places for each God/dess I call. I think it's just respectful.(Hecate 's I leave at the Crossroads near by. Pan's I leave in the woods near my home.. Thor and Zeus.. I leave out near water(after a rain).. And power lines. (hey, I try to cover my bases..not to insult those 2) lol.
Good luck on your research.
May your mind settle on what feels right.

Mama.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I don't know why Hecate is considered evil. She is actually the goddess who protects people form dark magick, crossroads and poison as she is the goddess of all those things. The only thing she wants is her offerings for her favors. She is actually neat.
Haven't worked with Lilith, but I like lighting candles to Kali who is also considered evil. She is actually the one who protects people who worship her.
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

I have never worked with either Hecate or Lilith but I find their stories very amazing. I would love to work with them. I think the stereotypes about the evil of both of them is absurd. Lilith: Queen of the Night, Mother of Demons, First Wife of Adam with those names I can see why people think she is evil, just like with Hecate, Kali and even Persephone. Hecate: goddess of magic, witchcraft, the night, moon, ghosts and necromancy When you actually research though and begin working with them you learn for yourself that those rumored evils can exist with anybody. As far as any connection I would say it is the the night both come (usually) in the night.
hecate8

Post by hecate8 »

There has been a recent trend to call Hecate the queen of hell. I don't know where this is coming from, but from my experience she definitely is not.
Free or drug free? America can't be both!
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

hecate8 wrote:There has been a recent trend to call Hecate the queen of hell. I don't know where this is coming from, but from my experience she definitely is not.
....what...

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!!?!?! *flips a table*

UGH I'm so angry right now reading this (not your fault btw)!!! Lady Hecate is VERY wise, calm, strong and unafraid. How DARE they debase her to a demon!!!
Caribbean_Blue

Post by Caribbean_Blue »

hecate8 wrote:There has been a recent trend to call Hecate the queen of hell. I don't know where this is coming from, but from my experience she definitely is not.
Hi,

I know that this topic has been posted a while ago but I still thought I'd comment for the benefit of any curious posters on this board.

The concept of Hekate as 'Queen of Hell' has originated from Mark Smith's work, and he has released a number of grimoires that work with Hekate's Darker aspects. His first grimoire, 'Queen of Hell' ( currently sold out ), is dedicated to working with Hekate and developing a relationship with Her from within his system, which he describes as leaning more towards traditional witchcraft. For the curious, here are some further links for more reading:

http://www.primalcraft.com/
http://bloodandbone.wordpress.com/writi ... lan-smith/
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Lilith is only connected directly via Lamia myths where her maybe mention in Isaiah 34:14 is translated as "lamia" in the Latin vulgate. Lamia is a snake woman who is connected to Hekate, she preys on children and was used as boogieman figure. Quite similarly to Lilith. (Also, similar both had plural forms for a class of spirits "lamae" and "liliths".) Both figures seduce men as femme fatales and are child killers.

Lilith is one of the oldest figures in the world. Her story starts in ancient Mesopotamia where she is the handmaiden of the goddess Ishtar. The Hebrews inherited Lilith (Lilitu) from their Babylonian captivity.

Now Lilith is considered a witch in Jewish lore and Hekate is the goddess of witches. While Hekate was feared, for things like sending evil spirits out on people and monsters like Lamia, she also protects people from them. Hekate's followers were witches and she resembled Diana in the Aradia: Gospel of Witches. Hekate is also a underworld deity and goddess of the moon. She appears at crossroads.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”