I need help choosing a God...

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
TheGirlOfSecrets

I need help choosing a God...

Post by TheGirlOfSecrets »

Ok, so I have some Goddesses I like (Hecate and Gaia) but none of the Gods are really attractive to me. I don't find out about some and think 'Ooh, that sounds interesting!' so I was just wondering what Gods do you like, and what do you think will suit me, if you have seen posts before that show my personality a bit? Thanks.
I am always never not broken.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I need help choosing a God...

Post by Xiao Rong »

Secrets, are you having trouble connecting to specifically male/masculine deities? If so, what is it about male deities that you have trouble with?

(also, I am moving the secondary part of the post to another thread, since that's not related to the part about deities. And I'm moving this thread to the Gods/Goddesses forum ... sorry! Just want to make sure everything gets the attention it deserves)
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
dreadedpsychopomp

Post by dreadedpsychopomp »

I'm part of the school of thought that says deities choose their devotees, so my advice is to do your thing and wait. If it's meant to happen, it will. :)
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Perhaps you could pray and ask if the Divine if you are ready to work with a specific male aspect at this time. It's not necessary to worship a specific male aspect or even to worship the male divine at all. Some traditions only worship the Goddess. If you feel that you want to work with the God by a specific name, then pray and ask HIm, "Lord, is there a specific name by which you wish me to call upon you?" Listen and wait. He may answer you right away or it might take a while. A name may come to you, or even symbols. If you notice an unusual number of one particular thing show up, perhaps a certain animal, that could be your sign. For example, seeing a lot of crows could be a sign that you're being called to follow Apollo or Odin. Or the Divine could respond and tell you that worshipping the God by a specific name is not necessary for you at this time.
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

dreadedpsychopomp wrote:I'm part of the school of thought that says deities choose their devotees, so my advice is to do your thing and wait. If it's meant to happen, it will. :)
I agree. I didn't choose Odin. I wasn't even anywhere near the Norse pantheon (I was actually researching the Celtic gods, since I'm half Irish)! He just kind of dropped out of the ether one day while I was meditating and claimed me. :shock: When you're ready to devote yourself to a specific deity, he, or she, will make themselves known to you. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
TheGirlOfSecrets

Thankyou very much heart song, and sure I don't mind having my post moved. Thanks so much everyone else though, the name Odin does keep popping up though:)
Garnetsun

Post by Garnetsun »

To add on this topic, it is "normal" not to have found your patron God, it will come in time. Or you don't have to worship a particular God either. Some prefer not to have limitations on the deity their worship, so they are not limited in their worship and adoration by a form, a power or a name. This mistery, also common to deities, may contain as much power for some.

Personally, Lugh and Dionysos came to me quite quickly, but I haven't found a patron Goddess, and i don't find it alarming. I still pray and adore her, and she answers too. I just don't have a particular Goddess to communicate with. I believe she or they will come to me in time, or maybe never. I still have the moon nearby.
Some may even prefer to adore a patron God(s), and limit their interations with the Goddess. It is a matter of beliefs and time. If you believe in the God, he will come to you in a matter he sees fit. You can see him a the Harvest God, the Green God etc... It will not lessen his power and place, since you still believe in him.

If Odin appeals you, you should search more about him, see if something "clicks" in you.
Blessed be !
"People only see what they are prepared to see."
Ever changing, ever learning, ever growing.
TheGirlOfSecrets

Alright thankyou garnetsun, I really appreciate everyone's help!

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”