How do I find out my God and Goddess?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Klia

How do I find out my God and Goddess?

Post by Klia »

I know, I know. A question that has probably been asked, but I can't find the thread for it!

I know Gods and Goddesses are supposed to come to you, not the other way around. But how do you all know which one is yours and which one to follow? Do they come into your life in a small, surprising way? Do you sense them? How exactly did you experience finding your God/Goddess. I have Ganesh and Lalita as my God and Goddess right now, but I'm not sure if they are the ones for me. I researched them and felt they were the best, but never had a feeling they were calling me.

Help!!
"The will to do, the soul to dare is yours for the taking if you prepare."
Heartsong

Re: How do I find out my God and Goddess?

Post by Heartsong »

Here's the links to how I discovered Odin was speaking to me, starting with the first contact. :)

Meditation has been the medium through which I've been contacted, but that may not be the case with everyone. I didn't feel so much called as claimed, though, haha.

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 24972.html

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 25027.html

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 25152.html
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Klia

Post by Klia »

Wow! From reading your threads I can now conclude that I have a lot of meditating to do!! ha. These threads were really helpful, Heartsong, and I appreciate you replying to my thread. It took you awhile to find your God/dess didn't it? And it sounds like a lot of searching and research after you get that feeling. From how everyone responded to you, it sounds like an epiphany or blessing that you finally found (or they found you) the God/dess that best fits you.

So if meditation doesn't do it for me, though I will definitely try it more, does scrying work? Or just signs in nature maybe? Like seeing certain animals over and over or visions maybe?

Thank you!
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

Your welcome, dear, I'm glad it was helpful.

Yes, it did take a pretty long time. I kept questioning and researching, almost like I was trying to prove my intuition wrong. There were signs everywhere. And yes, I spent so much time reading and scouring the internet for information. I still am, haha.

And I think any of those exercises would be beneficial to you and your search. As long as you're observant and patient, I think, you'll begin to notice things, and not just in relation to the gods. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Klia

Post by Klia »

Yes! I hope everything comes together in the perfect moment and right time. I cannot let myself get frustrated over this! Thank you for all your help! I will let you know when I find the right God and Goddess. =)
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

I know this sounds simple but it really worked for me: I just prayed. I asked the God and the Goddess if They felt I should worship Them by specific names. That night I got my answer and I've been working with Athena ever since. I have yet to receive an answer as to whether I should worship the God by a specific name. I did ask Him again, just the other day in fact, but He said it wasn't necessary at this time.
Maybe you could start reading the mythology of your own lineage, or that of a pantheon you like. Since you already work with Ganesh and Lalita, you might want to start researching other Hindu deities and see if there are others within that pantheon that resonate with you more. Studying other pantheons might help you find other deities with similar aspects that feel like the ones for you. Who knows, maybe with a bit more research, meditation and ritual work, you might discover that you were meant to work with Ganesh and Lalita after all. :wink:

I do have a blog entry that gives a bit more detail about my experience. http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 22947.html
Klia

Post by Klia »

It's like a relationship. We're all just trying to find 'the one'!

I guess I'm just confused on how to know. Or how I hear the answer from the God and goddess. I will definitely try more and research more. Ganesh and Lalita resonate with me out of all the others but I just need to know they're the ones. Thanks for everything!
River SilverWolf

Post by River SilverWolf »

AT night before bed i like to take a warm bath. I close the door and sometimes light a candle in teh dark or just read. Either way it's how I let the stress of the day go and it's my 'Me Time'. (It helps too that the kids are in bed lol, or else they like to keep mommy company!)

It might sound silly but meditation is not something I have found to be easy to do. Only recently am i starting to do it and make the time and quiet in my space or head. (i'm one of those who has a hard time getting my brain and to do lists to shut off!)

I too have been curious if there is a God & Goddess path I should follow. Until this point I have just kept it generic.
However the other night I took a bath in the dark (this time no candle) and began to meditate. Although not everything was clear it is improving. I took a walk and spoke with the Goddess. In was an amazing experience at the end I believe it was Brigid. This makes sense since I feel such a strong pull to the Celtic and Irish ways. I'm excited to see where this leads but I too have some researchin to do!
Klia

Post by Klia »

Thanks for your reply. Your story is very interesting. I too take baths to spoil myself and to unwind from the day if it was a rocky one. That is a really good place to do a meditation because your body really does become relaxed. I'm lazy sometimes and do it laying down in bed, but then I fall asleep; lesson learned! I just downloaded some apps with music for meditation and learning the breathing and posture techniques.

I'm glad you found your Goddess - hopefully that is the one for you. It sounds like I will find out when the time is right. Who would have known that day and at that time you would have found yours.

Keep me posted!
River SilverWolf

Post by River SilverWolf »

That was my problem too! I would try to do a guided meditation on my ipod in bed and would relax and fall asleep too hehehehehe
valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

I decided on Tara and Brigid (still haven't found my God yet...) because Brigid is the Goddess of inspiration, and Tara is the Goddess of peace and protection, two things I desperately needed in my life.
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
GreenArcher

Post by GreenArcher »

At first I just started researching and reading about many goddesses. I have been advised to go with a pantheon that draws you in, and that your attracted to. Mines was Egyptian. I know I didn't want my patron to be Isis, I felt reflected rather than attracted by her. I started researching the gods and goddesses and many of them overlapped in what they were god of. I decided I would go to my local pagan store and head for all the statues. The one that I was drawn to would be my patron. It turned out to be Bast and doing a lil more research about her I realized how much of a turkey good match she is and feels. But all this took a lot of time. It always does.
GreenArcher

Post by GreenArcher »

River SilverWolf wrote:That was my problem too! I would try to do a guided meditation on my ipod in bed and would relax and fall asleep too hehehehehe
I do that to, its the only time I get to have peace, quiet, and I can slip into that trance lol
Aceso

Post by Aceso »

Hello I am curious. Did a God appear to you, yet?
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Originally I felt called to Brighid and Cerrunnos. I never felt very connected to either and through my Yoga practice felt very drawn to Ganesh and Lakshmi, both are Hindu gods.

My family stems from France and Austria and I would love to have one of the old gods from that region, some Im reading more about Gaul and the gods of that time/region. A lot of them are also Celtic.

Im hoping to find a god and a godess from Gaul, and have found a few that are known as healers that I seem to resonate with. Im hoping I get picked one of them. I will meditate on it and see.

Either way Im keeping Ganesh and Lakshmi as I have really bonded and worked well with them over the year. But I think I need a pair that have different traits that lend more to my healing work.

Occasionally I speak with Brighid still, but do not have a close relationship with her anymore sadly. Maybe I will reunite it.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”