Ereshkigal

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Demented Moon

Ereshkigal

Post by Demented Moon »

Any followers of Ereshkigal? Just wondering how many people follow her.
Althara

Re: Ereshkigal

Post by Althara »

To be honest, I've never heard of Her! Could you give us a bit of info about her? What pantheon she's from and the like?
Demented Moon

Post by Demented Moon »

Ok this is information I have on her.

Ereshkigal: Sumerian Goddess of the underworld. Ereshkigal was worshipped throughout the Mesopotamian region, her main following in Sumer and Babylon. She is the Goddess of Irkalla, the underworld where the dead reside. Older sister and counterpart of Inanna/Ishtar, Ereshkigal represents the dark, the unseen, the shadow side of the soul. Only she can give laws, pass judgement, or hold any power in the underworld. Her consort is Nergal, and the story of their love is often praised in Mesopotamian hymns.

Source: The Goddess Guide by Priestess Brandi Auset
sanoyikamama

Post by sanoyikamama »

First, you can't really be a follower of Ereshkigal. Well you can, but it's not going to get anywhere. She is someone who decides who gets to know her secrets and who doesn't, and if she wants you to know, then she'll show up right in front of you and tell you so, literally. I'm not a believer in deity, I believe deity to just be a different type of spirit, and everything in someway is a spirit just with different energy signatures, but this lady packs a punch. Also, from many I've talked to, you will find that if you try to force getting to know here, aka decending to the underworld in the same way as Inanna did, you will either find yourself a bit lost and not seeing her at all, and once back still feel lost and confused, or you will find her and experience what I've heard some say feels like your soul being separated from your conscious self, as in you can function but feel torn apart spiritually and the only to fix it is to go back and apologize for your actions.

I will say, if you are drawn by the dark, then she is a great guide. I had always felt that way when I was younger, and she is the one who brought me "home" and showed me the strength of my abilities and my real path.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”