Goddess of the stars?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Mockingjay

Goddess of the stars?

Post by Mockingjay »

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if there are any specific goddesses of the stars. I've tried looking up 'Goddess of stars' on the intenet but nothing very particular or definite has come up. Thanks in advance. )O(
Ula

Re: Goddess of the stars?

Post by Ula »

Hathor/ Mut/ Nut - She was the goddess of the sky and all heavenly bodies, a symbol of resurrection and rebirth. (Nuit, Newet, and Neuth)

Tala is the name of the goddess of stars in Tagalog mythology

Hindu Goddess Aditi is Mother of the gods and rules over: Sky, earth, past and the future. Close as I could get for that.

In Norse mythology the closest I can get is Luonnotar daughter of the air god Ilma. Weary of her lonely celestial virginity, she floated ont he sea for seven centuries. Eventually an eagle (or a duck) nested on her knee and laid eggs. These rolled into the abyss and became the Earth, the heavens, the Sun, the Moon and the Stars.

This is all I got from various websites. Was hard to track down.
Mockingjay

Post by Mockingjay »

Thanks. Found this really helpful. I couldn't find much of this. BB )O(
ladywhitewolf

Post by ladywhitewolf »

Very interesting. Ula, thank you for posting that.
Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
Elluir

Post by Elluir »

How about three?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorya

The Zorya seem very interesting, fascinating actually. Slavic Deities, not incredibly familiar with them, but something jogged when I was thinking about star goddesses. Must have read about them in a book or something somewhere.
Ula

Post by Ula »

That was interesting.
AzaleaMoon

Post by AzaleaMoon »

Coatlicue, also known as Teteoinan (also transcribed Teteo Inan), "The Mother of Gods" (Classical Nahuatl: is the Aztec goddess who gave birth to the moon, stars, and Huitzilopochtli, the god of the sun and war. She is also known as Toci (Tocî, "our grandmother") and Cihuacoatl (Cihuācōhuātl, "the lady of the serpent"), the patron of women who die in childbirth.

The word "Coatlicue" is Nahuatl for "the one with the skirt of serpents". She is referred to variously by the epithets "Mother Goddess of the Earth who gives birth to all celestial things", "Goddess of Fire and Fertility", "Goddess of Life, Death and Rebirth", and "Mother of the Southern Stars".

In Aztec mythology, Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli ("lord of the star of the dawn"; also spelled "Tlahuizcalpantecutli" or "Tlahuixcalpantecuhtli") was the personification of the morning star, which is the planet Venus as seen in the morning. His brother Xolotl was the planet Venus as the evening star. Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli was a manifestation of Quetzalcoatl.

In Aztec mythology, Tonatiuh was the sun god. The Aztec people considered him the leader of Tollan, their heaven. He was also known as the fifth sun, because the Aztecs believed that he was the sun that took over when the fourth sun was expelled from the sky. According to their cosmology, each sun was a god with its own cosmic era. According to the Aztecs, they were still in Tonatiuh's era.

In Mexica mythology the Tzitzimime were once stars but were cast out to become lords of the dark underworld, and were a danger both at night and especially during an eclipse. Each dawn and dusk they would battle the sun. The end of the Azteca fifty-two year cycle a time of even greater anxiety for if the new fire was not successfully drilled, the terrifying Tzitzimime star demons would reassert their control over the world. It was prophesized that these star demons would descend to earth and devour the few humans who survived the destruction of the Mexica world and universe when it ended in earthquake and famine.

In Aztec and Toltec mythology, Xolotl ("The Animal", Lord of the Evening Star, Lord of the Underworld) was the god of lightning and a psychopomp, which is to say that he was the one who aided the dead on their journey to Mictlan, the afterlife.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”