How do you know a god/goddess has chose you?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Xack

Re: How do you know a god/goddess has chose you?

Post by Xack »

I guess you just feel connected somehow to your Patron and/or Patroness. I've always been fascinated by time, and I can't go to sleep without hearing the ticking of my clock, so, when it came to choosing a Patron, I chose Chronos, God of Time. I then decided to have Anance, his wife and Goddess of Inevitability (Destiny), as my Patroness. However, to avoid confusion with Chronos and Cronus, I've translated his and his wife's names into Welsh; Chronos - Amser, Anance - Anochel.
Kitrina Mageia

Post by Kitrina Mageia »

Whenever I think about Apollo (my favvvvoorritttee) I get special warm fuzzies all over! And I think we're alike! My aura color is yellow, I'm creative, (slightly bisexual, coughcough), good with projectiles, psychic, a musician, etc. It's just a feeling. Like finding your own home. smileylove
AutumnMaidens

Post by AutumnMaidens »

For me when I started my faith I began my search in the greek pantheon because I had always been interested in it. Researching its myths I happened upon Demeter, who called to me the moment I read about her, a devoted mother figure that loved her daughter and loved the earth. Than later I had a dream where Hera appeared to me and told me to be weary of a darkness in my life and I did take her advice but never called on her again for the simple fact that she does not make my heart swell as it does when I concider Demeter. Hera being the goddess of marriage and me not believing in marriage is another factor probably but that's beside the point :D
Artemis called to my maiden side which desperatly called for a strong independent woman so I just feel pride and honour whenever I read or write about Artemis. I began looking for my crone but couldn't find one that stuck with me as much as Sheila (Sheela) na gig whom as you may know is from the celtic pantheon. I fell in love with her the moment I read about her and she became my Crone idol.
And that's how I came upon my goddesses. My god I came upon in a vision and what I learnt from that vision was that I needed to do some more soul searching before I could truly come in contact with him. He called upon a much more primal part of me that I rather not admit to as of yet. But perhaps now after a good year has passed I might try it again.

Bless
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
TaylorS

Post by TaylorS »

I was always fascinated by Odin and the myths surrounding him hanging himself from Yggdrasil and sacrificing his eye for wisdom and knowledge, and it resonated with me on a very deep personal level.

Not too long ago I started running into a lot of things relating to ravens, one pair even set up home near my apartment window, and ravens relate to Odin.
ladywhitewolf

Post by ladywhitewolf »

If you are chosen by a God/Goddess, I guess you would feel drawn to them. Set,[my main God] didn't really give me a choice. There are other deities that I connect to from different pantheons. I am really interested in Morrigan [Celtic]. Also I am drawn to Loki and other Norse deities.
Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
Ula

Post by Ula »

I meditated on the matter and began reading about different pantheons. When I read about Frau Holda my heart leaped. Ask for the god/goddess to reveal themselves and start reading about them. The one your meant to know will find you. :D
Release.the.bats
Banned Member

Post by Release.the.bats »

Don't put so much bearing on it.
It'll happen when it is meant to and no amount of searching or prying will make you ready before your time.
For me, it just happened.
I had no intention of worshipping anyone, and I don't worship them but I see them as friends/advisers/almost parents depending on the circumstances.
And then boom, I was told and realized that their presence explained a lot about me over the years, but I just had to be patient.
Some people never really find a deity and that's cool too, whatever works for you and your path, is what is right for you.
And if that means it happens weeks or years from now, then all you can do is wait and keep practicing.
::coolglasses::
Victoria Mnemosyne

Post by Victoria Mnemosyne »

There are various ways you can feel chosen by a God or Goddess.
Sometimes you choose/are chosen by a deity that you share qualities with.
Sometimes you choose/ are chosen by a deity that has something to teach that you lack.
Sometimes a deity chooses you because they feel you can serve them in some way.

You can be contacted through dreams, meditation, or just by reading about them and feeling a "click". There's really an endless amount of ways, they are Gods afterall. The one thing I can tell you is (to quote the Matrix oracle) "It's like being in love. No one can tell you you're in love, you just know it, through and through."

Personally, I was always somewhat in doubt about the whole "being chosen" thing... I didn't consider myself a polytheist then, I was more of a pantheist (I believed in the "Energy"/ "All Spirit" but not strictly Gods and Goddesses as actual beings). Then I had an experience that changed my mind (it's on this message board somewhere). I read a hymn to Aphrodite outloud (I've never felt connected to her and was very down on love at the time). I had this... sensation. Like an electric current. It sounds small, but it was enough to change my views.

I also worship Persephone very strongly, because I feel that we are parallels. I worship Dionysus, because I feel that he has something to teach me that I lack. This wasn't so much them choosing me, as I chose them. A God doesn't have to reach out to you for your worship of them to be meaningful.
carley

Post by carley »

for me i looked into the irish/celtic gods and goddesses. i was particulary drawn to the goddess Aine and Ain and Iaine for love and protection of my family. i have always been interested in the irish leanage of my family and i want to learn as much as i can about it.
Lady Persephone

Post by Lady Persephone »

There will be signs. For example, I was feeling a strong connection to a certain deity since a child and I would love to read his stories on mythology. Then years later, when I got into Wicca, I decided to choose him as my Patron God. And I'd keep having dream of him and I still do.

I think it is a matter on both sides too.
Tanja

Post by Tanja »

Hmm... when I read this I feel so wierd, I have so many questions, I just don't knnow where to start, :/ i'm very new at this, I just felt drawn to the craft, but i do not know any body alse who is a part of it, can anybody help me??
Ravenwalker

Post by Ravenwalker »

For me this is definitely a question of making a personal connection. Usually it comes with some sort of symbolic hint, in my experience at least. Sometimes it's obvious, others it's so frustratingly hidden that it might not even make sense.

For me, at least in terms of my primary connection to the Morrigan, it was very much obvious. The symbolism hit early on in my transition into paganism. It was a regular occurrence for me to have flocks of blackbirds in my yard growing up, and they would seldom scatter when I went outside if I was alone (further research added that my first name has roots back to Bran the Blessed of Welsh lore, who is also heavily associated with ravens), and the raven has become a very personal totem because of this. I've always been fascinated by swordplay and medieval combat styles, to the extent of training myself from as early as I could hold a stick. I'm "in tune" with deceased spirits to a certain degree. Combine those indicators with the value I place in being versatile and having well-rounded interests, and the draw to the multiple-aspects of the Morrigan is a very natural fit. That totemic raven connection extends to Odin, as well, who has really stepped into place as my primary god. Again, you have the martial aspect attached, but more important here is the association with knowledge and wisdom that the ravens bring to his persona. I've always placed as much emphasis on the intellectual as on my swordsmanship, so the draw was once again very organic.

Best place to start is going to be really reflecting on your personal interests, what you truly value and want to focus on in life, and go from there. Don't be afraid to look through your memories for any recurring symbols from your childhood that could be taken as signs in retrospect. You'll figure it out when you're meant to figure it out.
BeckyDarling

Post by BeckyDarling »

I don't know much about this, as I'm still learning, but when I was a child I used to tell my sister that we had to give "gifts" to the Sea (who I called Poseidon) in order to make sure it didn't harm us. And it never did. I never felt scared in the ocean...until I stopped "worshipping" Poseidon (it's in quotes because at the time I didn't realize I was and I am still not sure that I was. I was more like... acknowledging he exists and asking for his permission to enter). Shortly after I almost drowned and was stung by a jellyfish. I started to ask permission again and thank him when I left the Ocean. I haven't had any problems since. I knew Poseidon before I'd read anything about him. I think I may have dreamed it. Although I did know about God before my mom talked to me of him, too. So... I'm not sure.

But Poseidon is very special to me. And Re, too.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”