Deities

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Tinevisce

Deities

Post by Tinevisce »

Deities- is it necessary to use a particular name of the God or the Goddess, or can I address them as the God and the Goddess?Also, can I use any deity from any religion- and mix n' match them? You know, like if I invoke Kali in one circle and Brigid in the next one- is it OK?
Orion

Post by Orion »

Are you following a particular tradition? If so, then it could matter.
Otherwise I don't believe it does. Whichever names hold the right meaning for you. One view is that certain names are just an aspect of the God and Goddess that you wish to invoke.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." -Einstein

There are always facts, the best most of us can do is try to continuously adjust our opinions to become closer to those facts. For that, there is Science and Philosophy. One to argue facts and one to argue opinions. The result: The big bang is some sort of sexual innuendo resulting from your subconscious.
Tinevisce

Post by Tinevisce »

Not really, I prefer to be eclectic- if you follow a trad specifically, more often that not, you're expected to follow certain things rigidly even though they might not feel right to you. I find that kind of stifling- in fact, it's what led me to hate my family religion in the first place :x
being-singular-plural

Post by being-singular-plural »

Yes I like to mix and match depending on the impulse. For instance, when studying for exams I offer my prayers up to Sarasvati and Isis. Typically the two don't meet but in some cases it works. Experimenting is always the path to discovery!

Blessings,

bsp
Tinevisce

Post by Tinevisce »

By Sarasvati, do you by any chance, mean the hindu goddess of learning?If you do, yeah, she and Isis definitely do not meet- even their respective purposes don't match- so far as I know, Isis is the Egyptian Goddess of Magick. Don't take this as criticism though, people are different- no two people can be exactly the same :D
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

I have only called up one deity ever and that was Diana, don't ask me why, it just felt right at the time.

As for mixing and matching deities, I say it is fine. They all have their counterparts anyway so the name you use doesn't really matter, it's the spirit and characteristics that you are calling.

hedge
Tinevisce

Post by Tinevisce »

Speaking of Diana, I'm just wondering is she a celtic Goddess? :?:
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

She was a Roman Goddess :D

hedge
being-singular-plural

Post by being-singular-plural »

Yes lovely Diana is asscoiated with the Moon. Some accounts say she actually is Hecate (goddess of witchcraft), just transferred from greek myth into Roman under the name of Diana. In the Tarot she would be the Moon card and astrologically Diana falls under the energies of Pisces and Cancer. We love your goddess Hedge!

Blessings,
bsp

PS-Yes Sarasvati (goddess of learning and the arts) and Isis are from different traditions, but what are traditions for if they are not re-invented in new ways? And Isis is way more than a goddess of magic. She is wisdom, fertility, knowledge, perseverance, love etc.. Who knows, maybe all the female deities are actually her as she is known as "the goddess with 10,000 names." May the goddesses grace your life. :)
Blue Moon Princess

Post by Blue Moon Princess »

Just for fun :-)

Diana is known as Artemis in Greek mythology. She is Apollo's sister and her chariot is the moon, which she rides across the sky, just as her brother rides the sun across the sky (very romantic, don't you think?) She is the virgin goddess, patron of forest and animals, aids with childbirth and delivers the arrow of death.
Orion

Post by Orion »

According to a few of the different versions of Orion's death in Greek Myths; either Artemis or Apollo is responsible for Orion's death, and Artemis puts Orion in the stars :P
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." -Einstein

There are always facts, the best most of us can do is try to continuously adjust our opinions to become closer to those facts. For that, there is Science and Philosophy. One to argue facts and one to argue opinions. The result: The big bang is some sort of sexual innuendo resulting from your subconscious.
Tinevisce

Post by Tinevisce »

Wow, you guys seem to know so much about the european mythologies- you just bowl me over :shock:
Sara

Post by Sara »

You can use particular names or simply titles (God/dess, Lord, Lady). Personally I believe that if you do not know the Goddess, her nature and qualities it might be best not to use that name at all. You can replace the name by whispering to the "Lady of Compassion", for example. This is just my opinion, though.

As for mixing deities of different cultures.. Well, again the choice is yours. I do not mix and match.
Tinevisce

Post by Tinevisce »

Sara- if you don't mind me asking, who are the most common deities that you invoke( if you use names at all)? Just curious. :)
Sara

Post by Sara »

Tinevisce, I work with the Finnish deities. Originally, they were not the ones I considered myself to be most drawn to and this is, in part, still the truth. However, I felt this was the wisest, easiest and most practical decision and am quite happy with taking this road.

I don't invoke them in the most strict sense of the word - I talk to them, respect them and welcome them but do not call them too strictly. They are around and will join me, when it's needed.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”