Spirit Communication : How to Communicate and Stay Protected

For conversations and questions about hauntings and spirit visitations. This is not the place to talk about demons. In fact, this whole board isn't the place for it. A Christian site is a better place for that.
Sakura Blossom

Spirit Communication : How to Communicate and Stay Protected

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Hey all! (: I seem to be asked about this topic quite often (both on here and elsewhere), so I felt it would be best to make a topic specifically directed towards this so others may come here and reference when they are in need! All of what is stated are some common ways of doing this, as well as my own techniques I have either made or adapted to be my own from others' suggestions to me in my years of working in this area. Hopefully this will help and make sense! There is A LOT of information that could be included with this, but I'm addressing the basics of what spirits there are, how to protect yourself, and how to communicate with them as well as some guidelines you should know. If questions arise, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help!

First, a disclaimer!

All that I say is not 100% fact. This is merely a guideline towards common beliefs and my own personal beliefs, regarding this topic. Everyone has their own belief system of what these beings are, and how to go about working with them. This is meant to help point you in the right direction for understanding and beginning your communication with these beings. (:

:: Types of Spirits ::

Under this topic, I will be addressing the different types of spirits/entities and also the main things you need to know about them, before you consider talking or interacting with them. I will separate them all into their own category and explain within those areas what these entities are or are believed to be. I will explain etiquette in another section of this post. If I miss any types, please let me know! It's late and I might have forgotten some.

Spirits - Those that were once living

The title says it all. These spirits are those of the dearly departed. Why they are here, it is unknown but there are some ideas as to why they stay behind. They might have unfinished business that they need to take care of, they may be attached to a certain place or area, they may not realize they are dead and continue to act out their past life, and many other reasons could be behind their stay on this plane. They can be good or bad, depending. In our world, we have good and bad people, so it's not far fetched to think that the spirit world has the same! Within this category you can have the poltergeists, the residual 'hauntings' as well as 'intelligent' hauntings (meaning that they are aware that they are dead and are able to communicate as such). Sometimes they get lonely, and really could use some conversation to help them get by! And then there are those, that aren't sure where they need to go now or what they need to do, and you could very well be able to help them find their next path.

Negative Entities (usually referred to as 'demons')

This is a rather debatable topic, so I can't give too much information one way or another on this area. There are some spirits that were never alive and are beings of pure darkness and negativity. This is the biggest and most prominent belief regarding these entities. This is where personal belief comes in, but usually these are the big, bad nasties that you don't want to deal with or have the displeasure of encountering. These are the ones that horror movies are all about and they come in many different varieties. Thankfully, they are usually few and far between. The chances of encountering one of these are slim. I highly, highly, HIGHLY suggest you don't even bother with these entities. Don't try and talk to them, do not call upon them. It's not worth it, trust me.

Spirit Guides

These are spirits/beings that work with you to help you on your path. Sometimes referred to as guardian angels or angels in general. This is another debatable topic (as you will see, there are many different beliefs regarding this topic and I can't even begin to get into it. Haha!). They can either be those who have passed on, or beings like the ones listed below. Sometimes even animal spirits can be our guardians.

Animal Spirits

They can be the spirits of animals that were once alive (such as our beloved pets) and then also, those of the living. It is a common belief that everything has a consciousness, and is able to communicate in an intelligent manner.

The Fey/Nature Spirits

There is usually debate around these as well, as some classify The Fey as Nature Spirits, but this is a matter of preference, however, and I do not want to say one way or another due to this reason. I am including them together, just to save space.

It is commonly believed that The Fey do work with nature and do care for it, just as nature spirits do which is why they are usually classified in the same way. They take care of our planet and make sure that nature is well cared for. They are not really the tiny people with wings you see portrayed on television (however, they may choose to take on this form and as this is not 100% fact, there might very well be some that do look in such a way. After all, the stories have to come from somewhere!). They aren't generally sweet and happy, little helpful people, in fact they are usually the opposite. They are fickle creatures that will act as they wish, as they are generally out for themselves. This is not to say that they can't help you if the mood strikes, but they rather enjoy playing tricks! They can be very nice, however, if you treat them with respect and understand their wishes. Fey love the colors black and red, so if you see an animal or a bug that has these colors, chances are you might be in their presence.

Some of the nature spirits tend to specific trees and plants, and you might find them hanging around there as well and if you converse with the plants they might tell you the same.

Elementals

Usually a type of nature spirit, but they are as they sound. They are spirits of the elements and they are usually the ones that work as guardians of the land (in my experience, at least). These have a tendency to cause some of the paranormal activity within homes, as they view it as their territory and not yours. They try to scare you away in hopes of reclaiming what they view as their property. They aren't generally harmful, however.

Spirits of Plants and Trees

These are different than the others, as these are the actual spirits and souls of the plant life themselves. Plants I have found, personally don't have too much to say, but if you are lucky enough to talk with a tree then you are definitely in for a treat. While they are not beings of many words, their images tell beautiful stories.

:: How do I communicate with them? ::

Some methods of communication are better than others, depending on the spirits/entities you wish to speak with.

I will give you some tools and ideas of how to get started, but first let's address protection.

Before you even consider letting something in to speak with it, you want to ensure that you keep yourself bubbled off from anything they might try to do to you. Now, I'm not saying that they WILL try anything but there have been cases of people trying to communicate with an entity that seemed friendly, only to be manipulated into letting it in and causing harm to themselves in the process. It is always good to be safe than sorry! And these tools are especially good for those of you (like myself) that are sensitive to these beings on a daily basis. You are like a lantern and they are like moths - they will come to you!

Some ways to protect yourself are:

- Shielding: This is able to be done in different ways, the most prominent being visualization. A common practice is to close your eyes and envision yourself becoming a tree - your feet being the roots and your arms the branches. You imagine yourself pulling up the element that speaks to you the most, and filling your body from the ground and all the way up to your branches (arms). Another easy method is to imagine yourself being surrounded by a bubble of impenetrable light.

- Circle Casting: Essentially the same as shielding, however you cast the circle around the room you will be working in and ensuring that the beings you communicate with stay outside of your sacred area. There are different ways to do this, depending on your personal path. Some might call upon the Guardians of the Directions while others may just call upon their deities or powers they work with.

- Charms or Pendants: I personally love this one. I bless my necklace that I wear daily, to empower it with the protection I need. You can instill the power of positivity and protection into these charms but best of all, I find it is nice to have something physical you can actually touch and see, to know that you have it in place to keep yourself safe. I also like to tap my own charm three times, as a physical act of putting up my shields so that I feel it physically as well as mentally.

- Any type of black stone: Black Tourmaline as well as black agate are two of the top stones used for protection. However, anything that is black works really well for this. The concept behind it, at least what I like to think it is, is that blackness attracts blackness, so the negativity is drawn to it but then is trapped and can't get into you anymore because its within the dark walls of the stone, if that makes sense.

- Anything personal that makes YOU happy: I don't usually see this being said, so I really wanted to add this in. I personally feel that one of the best ways to combat negative energies and keep yourself protected is through positivity and self empowerment. If you don't believe in yourself or that these tools will actually work, then they won't. If you've ever seen Peter Pan, Wendy can't fly because she doesn't fully believe in the power of the pixie dust. And if you carry around something that really makes you happy, then you'll be more inclined to feel that way due to the positive emotions instilled in that piece.

Now that we have that out of the way, let's move onto actual communication! These are meant as ways to speak to spirits within your home to get better acquainted with their reasons for being there, or communicating with spirits in nature. I do not suggest you go out and try to seek something because you never know what you might find. The same goes for any kind of divination, you want to specify who you are wishing to speak to.

Communication:

- Divination Tools - Pendulums, Runes, etc.: This is probably the most common way of speaking with spirits and entities. I do not suggest using a Oujia board, not because they are dangerous in themselves (though I personally believe they are and this is another debate topic), but because they have such a negative ideas surrounding it that I believe it has made it a beacon of sorts for negativity in itself.

- Meditation: This is my favorite way of doing this, because it's far more personal and intimate as well as clearer in the objectives of what you want and also what the spirits you're speaking with want. While doing this one, however, you really need to ensure your intent is clear and that you keep your barriers up enough that they don't sneak their way inside. Some entities (particularly the negative ones) have been known to leech of your energy and that's not something you want to deal with. I suggest using this one for the spirits of nature and the fey, as I've not really had much luck with divination to speak to these beings.

- Dreams: This is another really great way to communicate! I suggest using this to talk to relatives that have passed on, and invite them into your dreams to speak with them. It also works very well for your spirit guides! To do this method, all you need to do is address the one you wish to speak to and invite them to hang out with you while you sleep. They might not come for a few nights after you send out the request, however.

- Automatic Writing: This isn't exactly the best tool to use, but it can work sometimes! I've had good luck with it before. The problem with it, is that you have a harder time distinguishing what's your own thoughts and what's really coming through. To do this, however, you can sit on your laptop if you have one (or computer) on a Word document or some kind of program that allows you to type, and clear your mind to see what comes in. You merely type what comes to mind and see what it says. Writing too, of course, works just as well. I just find typing allows me to get it down faster.

- Just talk!: For those of you, like myself, are naturally in tune with spirits you might be able to just speak with them and receive answers in a telepathic manner. You are usually able to distinguish between your own thoughts and the spirits'. I often get asked how I can tell, so for those that aren't sure, I can explain. Usually the voices I hear are over top my own thoughts, and if you try to think over your own thoughts, it's nearly impossible to do. It's just one of the ways that can help distinguish.

:: Help! I accidentally let something bad in! What do I do? ::

Depending on what you let in (or maybe you didn't let it in, it came in all on its own before you even tried communicating), there is a really easy way to solve it, and that is by saging/smudging the house. I have seen that many different people have different techniques of doing this, so I will be sharing mine.

- How to smudge/sage your home: Protect yourself with the methods above, then light your sage stick, which can be found at any spiritual store. Wait until you have a steady stream of smoke then start in the right corner of the room on the very first floor and continue around in a clock-wise motion while asserting dominance of your home and space, kicking out anything that isn't welcome. You do this for the entire house working from the bottom up, and remain happy and positive while you do it but still keep a firm tone so it knows you aren't messing around.

- Floral Fragrances: Another way to help eliminate negativity is to keep something flowery in smell around the house. I personally use a bowl of warm water and fill it with rose oil, but you could also use flowers or air fresheners that will make the house smell pleasant. This also works for general protection too.

If this doesn't work, you may need to bring in a medium/psychic who has experience with these types of things to help kick it out. Unfortunately, it can sometimes be tricky to eliminate certain beings and I'm not able to help you with that in general without knowing specifics of a situation.

:: Some things to keep in mind! ::

These are going to be little tid-bits and tips about what you should know when you work with these beings and other information that you might find helpful.

First, do not assume that any spirit in the world is going to want to talk to you. They might not want anything to do with you, and you need to be respectful of their wishes. You also don't want to just go out and seek anyone to speak with. As I mentioned in the above information, you have no idea who you are going to meet and end up communicating with. Granted, when you try this with spirits you are aware of, you still risk this happening but you have a lesser chance of encountering something negative.

Now, above I mentioned addressing etiquette and this is incredibly important depending on who you are going to be speaking with.

How you act around certain entities does change depending on who you are talking to! The BIGGEST one you really need to keep in mind, is how to work and talk with the Fey. It is one thing to try and communicate with a spirit that has once lived and an entirely different realm of behavior when working with the Fey, as they have their own belief systems and ways of acting so I really wanted to share that information with you, should you choose to speak with them and encounter them.

Basic Fey Etiquette:

- Do NOT eat their food: Yes, I'm being serious here. I know this is used in the stories and they say that you won't ever return if you partake in their food, but this isn't really true. It's more a cultural difference. If you were to travel to India, you would want to be respectful of their culture and the belief of some but not all of the Indian population, that cows are sacred. You wouldn't eat beef at their house if they didn't agree with it and didn't want you to. The concept is the same here. If you accept their food, it could mean different things to them and because it's not entirely understood, it's something you shouldn't attempt out of respect for them.

- Be polite: No one likes rudeness, but given how the fey are fickle you do not want to anger or upset them, especially if they are being gracious enough to allow you on their land and to speak with you. Treat them with kindness and respect, but remember to remain wary of their actions.

- Do not wear iron or offer it to them: This is actually toxic to them and it's not something you want to give them.

- Do not thank them: As strange as it sounds, it's true. I was told this a long time ago, but have also witnessed it first hand that this is something you don't really want to do. It's another cultural barrier. They can be insulted if you do it, because what they did for you they don't think they need thanks for. Out of respect, do not use those words and instead, leave something for them like sugar or milk, as a way of showing your appreciation.

There are some simple ways to attract the fey into your lives as well. Playing music and leaving out sweets (as well as milk) is a great way to bring them into your life. Whistling has also been known to attract them.

For spirits, simply putting out into the universe that you wish to speak to someone (of course making your intent clear) can help attract the right people. Being specific with who you wish to speak to, is important as well, because if you aren't specific it can allow those you don't wish to communicate with in. Specification is key!

Now, apart from the fey, one other thing to keep in mind is that some of these beings can AND will trick you into thinking they are something they are not. These are merely the more negative beings, and you need to exercise caution with any type of being you might try to communicate with. Another thing to keep in mind, is that while some spirits might be kind, they are like people and can get into bad moods. Just be kind and considerate, to avoid any repercussions.

And most importantly, use common sense. If it seems like something you shouldn't talk to or get involved with, don't.

I really hope this information was helpful and beneficial (and made sense, given how late it is. I will look over it again tomorrow to make sure that it is actually understandable. Haha!). If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask and I'll do my best to help you out.

I wish you the best of luck with your endeavors, and remember... Be safe! (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spirit Communication : How to Communicate and Stay Prote

Post by Xiao Rong »

What a great post! Thanks for sharing, Sakura!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Firewolfy

Post by Firewolfy »

Such a nice informative post, would have been nice to have something like this a few years ago for me I had to learn most of this from personal experience.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Thank you very much, Xiao! I appreciate it!

And thank you, firewolfy! I totally agree with you on that. Most of this was from personal experience for me too, save for a few things I was told. I realized last night, after being asked about this topic so much, it really would be something that's beneficial for others who need this information. I'm really glad I could help and share it! (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Wonderful information to add to the forum (and a good sticky post). Thanks a lot, Sakura! This would actually be a good article for the main site as well.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I am really glad you liked it! And if you wanted to make into an article some how you can totally use it if you would like. (: I am glad it's helpful information!

Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Great, thank you!!
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

No problem! (: though I realized something I was going to add so I can do so before you use it?

YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Ah, great, thank you Sakura, very informative. It made me want to contact spirits, which I have never considered before. Maybe I need to think about it. Anyway, great thread.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

You're very welcome, YanaKhan! I'm really glad it could help you and make you interested! (: And thank you so much!

Silus7
Location: ~8~nel dominio della padrona acquatica della luna~8~

Post by Silus7 »

Love this post! I keep many of these things in mind whenever I go on any ghost/spirit adventures with my friend Rachel. Its very important to make sure that nothing latches on to you whenever embarking in such things. ~8~

~*PadronaDellaLuna**~
*MysticUrbanGypsy*

~*Silus7*~
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Thank you very much!! I really appreciate it!! And glad you do. I'm on a team myself and I use these methods all the time. (:

Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I updated the thread, as I forgot another way of communication. Haha.

Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

Thank you Sakura! This thread is perfect. I'm going to jot this information down in my notebook. <3 :fairy:
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Thank you very much and go for it! (:

Return to “Spirits, Ghosts, Paranormal Events”