Sylar_pf

Slovenia / Croatia

Post by Sylar_pf »

Vesca wrote:If you ever pass through Ljubljana next year, let me know. ^^
Ljubljana? :O

Vesca

Re:Slovenia / Croatia

Post by Vesca »

It sounds more like lub-lyana. :P Although it is funny pronouncing it "lajub-lajonna" to the locals and seeing them facepalm. ^^

Sylar_pf

Re: Slovenia / Croatia

Post by Sylar_pf »

Pitam zato sto sam iz Zagreba :)

Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Woohoo! I'm actually not fluent in Slovene yet. :) My husband is Slovene, lived there for a bit and moving back in a few months. Even though the job market is pretty desperate right now.

Sylar_pf

Post by Sylar_pf »

Well it's no better in Croatia :/
It's actually much worse. Where are you from originally?

Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Figured it's better to create a new thread rather than hijack Adrasta's vacation thread. ^^

I would have thought Croatia would be better, with the tourism and the beaches and Dubrovnik and all that fun stuff?

I was born in the US, moved to the UK when I was 18, moved to Slovenia at 21, moved back to the US a bit later. It's been a hectic decade. :P

Sylar_pf

Post by Sylar_pf »

Yeah well I was to excited to thing about hijacking :D

Well at least you're not stuck at one place :D
How did your parents take the moving?

About Croatia. Tourism is probably the only good thing in our economy. Pretty much everything else sucks. Corruption killed all the potential we had. The sad part is that it's probably too late to make things better.
If you look geographically we have everything-mountains, sea, vallies... But people destroyed the potential. The outter debt is too big for us to make any progress.
Sure there are some positive examples but in my opinion not enough.
Maybe I'm wrong (I hope I am)

Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Eh, I've always traveled alone. :P

I've heard the same thing about Slovenia too. Too many corrupt politicians, too many taxes not going where they ought to, and not enough jobs to go around. I won't lie, it's a scary move. ^^

Sylar_pf

Post by Sylar_pf »

How do you like the people? Is is much different than US?

Vesca

Post by Vesca »

It is different from the US, but I'd say it's more similar to the US than the UK is to the US (if that makes sense). The thing is that the US is so diverse because of how expansive it is that I can only really speak to the region I've lived in. There are no mountains or sea where I live in the US though, so there's that...

Culture wise what strikes me the most is how family-oriented the people I've met in Slovenia are. Much more interested in taking care of their family, providing a home, good food, and living life (vacations, barbecues, etc...) than on trying to "get ahead" on the financial ladder. Although that may be not in small part due to the economy and job prospects in Slovenia, because "getting ahead" isn't really a thing no matter how smart or skilled you are. :P

I guess it's just a simpler, more straight-forward way of being and that's really what I'm looking for. Of course, I can only really compare it to my own personal experiences in other countries too and it may not be what other people who live in the US would think. ^^

Sylar_pf

Post by Sylar_pf »

Sorry I had a lot on my mind so I didn't come to the forum for a while.

I think we (our region) is more family oriented than the rest but that's also slowpy changing. People are having kids later in life in their 30s because it's hard to start a family here if you dont have a good financial foundation. Lots of young people are living with their parents till their 30s which is really sad and disturbing. Also a lot of people are moving to other countries such as Germay,Ireland and Canada.

We are a sad nation :/

Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Aww. So what keeps you there, if I may ask?

Sylar_pf

Post by Sylar_pf »

I don't have a degree yet and I can't go out in the world with just highschool.
I don't wanna leave but I will have to.
I want to stay because of the way of living. We know how to enjoy life, how to enjoy food and drinks,spend a good time with friends. Hedonists :D
I love our nature our water, forests and landscape.

I don't like the politics and how certain people ruined every bit of potential.

People here are generous, would help you in a heartbeat. When we need to we unite like no other nation, but also there is big sadness that connect us the most.

Vesca

Post by Vesca »

That's about what I hear from Slovenians too. :)

Does that mean you're in college now? What are you studying? ^^

Sylar_pf

Post by Sylar_pf »

I'm in law school :)
How about you, what are you doing currently?

Return to “Europe”