Just coincidence or is there more to spell casting?

For you advanced spell crafters looking to get feedback on spells you wrote.
Lunair

Just coincidence or is there more to spell casting?

Post by Lunair »

So this has happened a few times to me where I just do spells that don't require much tools and then the results come the next day or a few days after when I needed them earlier, (whether it be physical, verbal, or in mental form) When I do try hard for spells such as gathering tools for it that I didn't have and planning it instead of on a whim they rarely ever work: A couple of love spells (stupid of me huh), prediction dream spells, major spells basically. Some examples of the simpler spells that I did were 1: a rain spell that I did on a whim, I was walking from work when I tried to wish to make it rain just for fun (but not just make it rain but downpour, nothing happened). The next day I was walking from work when it started to rain and then suddenly downpour, it felt good but horrible because I didn't have an umbrella (how inconvenient). Scenario 2: My sister wasn't feeling well because of her pregnancy so I got some advice from the members that posted on one of my post here, the thing is I created a healing satchel quickly that I put alot of thought into in the beginning but not much physical ingredients just stuff I had for a looong time. It didn't work for a few days so I forgot about it until after those first few days when my sister suddenly felt better (weird). Situation 3: I did a quick spell that I just made up by putting together different spell aspects and chants for invoking/calling the corners (I was obsessed with "The Craft" movie that week). I was expecting immediate results during the spell, nope it happened towards the end of the spell when I was just noticing the outdoor surroundings rather than focusing on my materials which were indoors with me, there were more animals gathered outside than normal (more birds flying and on the ground, definitely more squirrels, and a couple of bunnies or woodchucks peaking out every so often. Do spells just work for me when I'm not focusing/ trying so hard and why? Does anyone else have this problem?
random417

Re: Just coincidence or is there more to spell casting?

Post by random417 »

This is actually a fairly common thing I think. The tools sometimes get in the way of the mental aspect of the spell. Your mind does most of the work in spells, the tools are just props for your mind. It's easy enough to get so caught up in the tools and rituals that you loose the mental part of things. I do that all the time myself.
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
Shub Niggurath

Post by Shub Niggurath »

As you noticed yourself, the key to successful spell casting and rituals (basically any kinds of witchcraft and occult practice) is not to expect the result, not to wait for it, not to wonder if it works etc. And, as Random417 suggested, maybe the tools are actually getting in your way instead of helping you. What you need to understand is that material tools are just to help you fill the holes in imagination. To help you focus your intention on something. But you might as well cast spells without any tools, simply with the power of your mind and your Will. Try it, maybe it will work better for you :)

Anyway, the main problem seems to be your expectations once you're done with the spell. Have you ever tried doing Sigils? They're a perfect example and exercise at the same time because they teach you the basic rules of spellcasting.

Check Seraphin's post on Sigils: click
The main reason for Sigils is that once you "sigilize" your wish/intention it's easier for you to forget what the intention actually was (the sigil doesn't seem to represent it on an intellectual level). You need to forget the intention to make things work. Simple as that :D
OGirly

Post by OGirly »

Spells etc are all about forcing your will upon your subconscious which then connects to the 'divine' (collective unconscious). The other posters are more than correct. By letting go of all the mental/physical fu fu that goes with most spell casting, and just performing the action your male energy (conscious will) is much more likely to penetrate into your female energy (subconscious mind) which connects to the 'divine' (collective unconscious) which manifests your spell. At least how I understand it. By not focusing on all the hooha your less 'conscious' of what you are doing and more gets through thereby making the spell more effective. Ritual has it's place, but sometimes you have to mix it up and keep it fresh for things to work. Otherwise it's just running through the motions, and that's never effective.
OGirly

Post by OGirly »

The Lovers...it's all there ;)
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

hey Lunair glad my satchel ideal worked for you and the answer to your question is what Random and Levitating Cat said
the same thing happens to me all the time so i gave up on trying to make everything so formal and use tools like everyone else, and it works best for me, especially if like you said you do it on a whim, to me thats your soul/spirit/guides/god and goddess telling you now is the time when your spell will work and because it is on a whim your actually not over thinking it like people tend to do when you plan things out.

Ill give you a perfect example:
Say you plan out this spell a month in advance for say the eclipse or a holiday. You plan out what you need, you write the ritual out step by step based on what you found and making it your own, you even buy special herbs for it cus you wont it to be perfect and to work. The night comes and you keep your notes with you. You keep going over the steps before hand so you dont have to use the notes in the ritual only you find when your actually doing it your worried you messed up, you keep looking at the notes and going about it step by step as you planed it.
Whats wrong here is that although you are still envisioning your outcome and doing the spell correctly your not focused 100% on it. So the spell isn't going to work. That and its not coming naturally like say your simple chants that come to you or a sachel that you felt would work. Even if this isnt 100% the case your still subconsciously just going over a check list of obsessing over doing it 100% right.

Okay take the same spell say it was a wish spell for Samhain. You stumbled upon it the day of Samhain why looking up some stuff to do for the holiday you havnt already thought of. You feel like you should do it and a chant comes into your mind of what to say you take the basics of the spell given on say that you need paper and write your desires for the year and then burn it and you add in your chant you thought of and whala you have your ritual for Samhain heck you dont even take notes on anything cus its all in your head clear as day. You do it and this time its more natural, your not worried about messing it up, your more relaxed and the chant rolls off your tongue. This time your spell works like a dream, you find that what you asked for might actually happen this year.

The key to all spells is being relaxed and doing what comes natural to you and what feels "whimsical". In fact ill take it a step farther and tell you to look at history.
The Celts have the simple Celtic Knot Magic like these.
The Native Americans have dances that you immerse your body into so your not thinking just feeling the meaning behind the dance and what they mean.
The Romanichal have spells that are focused on one of two simple things and mostly just words like this penny luck spell or like the native americans dances.

The fact is its always better and more reliable to do simple and what feels right then doing something elaborate and planed out that you like the thought of but isnt 100% natural. Not that im saying dont plan out stuff or anything or that big rituals dont work cus they do but thats not the point im trying to make lol.
anyways hope I made since of any kind lol

blessed be
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I rarely use tools. Occasionally I use candles, but my work is largely visualization and intent. Sometimes I request help from a specific deity, but mostly I just put the request out to the universe and visualize it manifesting. The results are rarely immediate.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Lunair

Post by Lunair »

BabyBear wrote: Ill give you a perfect example:
Say you plan out this spell a month in advance for say the eclipse or a holiday. You plan out what you need, you write the ritual out step by step based on what you found and making it your own, you even buy special herbs for it cus you wont it to be perfect and to work. The night comes and you keep your notes with you. You keep going over the steps before hand so you dont have to use the notes in the ritual only you find when your actually doing it your worried you messed up, you keep looking at the notes and going about it step by step as you planed it.
Whats wrong here is that although you are still envisioning your outcome and doing the spell correctly your not focused 100% on it. So the spell isn't going to work. That and its not coming naturally like say your simple chants that come to you or a sachel that you felt would work. Even if this isnt 100% the case your still subconsciously just going over a check list of obsessing over doing it 100% right.
That sounds exactly what has happened to me!
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

lol I know :P cause that's how I was till I started doing things as I found them right then that night without worrying about it and doing simple things like herbal tea mixes, crystal satchels and voodoo based gris gris, tiny chants that pop into my head, little spells like the ones I linked

I really do mean it when I say it's just a matter of stepping back and simplifying what your doing for when it fills right or comes to you.
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

Simple always works for me. .. My daily life isn't so ritualistic.. I work spells into everything I do in daily life. Baths ,teas, coffee, artwork, music , etc. ...
Wandersens

Post by Wandersens »

Mmm... don't really feel people posting are responding to your question. So you are walking home and the thought comes into your mind to make it rain, so you visualise it, conjuring a spell in that instant and the result is a successful spell which manifests itself in record time. From what you are saying I feel the pure force and power of the alchemy is coming from being in tune with your spirit guides, and being aligned with the will of your higher self. So when your sitting down daydreaming and the thought pops into your mind 'I need to do that money spell' thats the optimum time to do it, because your subconscious is aligned, the manifestation of the spell will be greater, cleaner. As opposed to "I need to do that money spell' then your conscious mind takes over - I need to get a green candle, herbs etc. If you don't have money - cause your doing a money spell your conscious mind begins to attach fear to the spell, your conscious mind almost creates a spell by binding you from what it perceives as danger. Binding you from prosperity. Self-Sabotaging.
Regarding tools your subconscious knows that all the tools it needs for a spell is within its vicinity at the moment it commands you to make it rain. Usually the things we have around us are more magically imbued since they know us. The peace lily that sits in your room and has witnessed your petition and hope for harmony and communication with an estranged friend has more power than some herbs you might buy at you local shop.
Thank-you for your wonderful observations it really helped me in working through some things.

Return to “Spell Critique”