I'm working on a Bread spell...

For you advanced spell crafters looking to get feedback on spells you wrote.
laruna

I'm working on a Bread spell...

Post by laruna »

Ok, I was looking for a good, simple spell to help me find employment and Ms. Sym (sorry, i can't remember how to spell out your whole name..) gave me the idea for this simple bread spell. For some reason it doesn't seem to... flow properly, so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how i could tune it up a bit? I really need to get it cast this Thursday, so any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Bread Of Gain
Needed:
Ingrediants for bread recipe of your choice
1 tsp. Powdered Clove
1 tsp. Powdered Cinnamon

Choose any bread recipe you like. As you bake the bread focus on you need of employment, what you wish to gain from a job, what requirements you hope the job will fufill, ect. As you mix mix the recipe, add in the cloves and cinimon. As you knead the bread repeat these words:
“Bread, Bread, For now only Dough
Please, Please, Help my money Grow
With Help to Many, And Harm to None
Help me find a place where working is fun”
Follow the directions of your recipe to let the bread rise. As the bread is rising, do simple chores and the like- do not just sit somewhere and wait for the bread to rise, be actively doing something productive at all times, making sure you are in hearing range for when your timer goes off. As you knead the bread the second time, and shape it, repeat the chant as many times as you feel necessary. Once again, as the bread is rising, resume your work and continue with your chores as it rises. After the bread has finished rising, and is ready to bake, follow the instructions as to how it should be baked, making sure that as long as you are working with the bread, you are focusing on your need of employment. After you put the bread in the oven, sit as close to the stove as you feel comfortable and meditate on what exactly you need the bread to do for you until the bread is ready to come out of the oven. (It shouldn't be more than about 20 min) Let the bread cool before cutting a piece to either bury or break apart and scatter in your yard to ask blessing. Store the bread in a bread bag or box where no one else will get to it, and eat a piece each morning as you go out to either apply of give an interview for a job. You should have one before the loaf is finished. Scatter any remaining bread outside in thanks.
Zili

Re: I'm working on a Bread spell...

Post by Zili »

the only thing that doesn't seem to flow right to me is the line "help me find a place where working is fun."

some people believe that spells or chants must rhyme as though it is poetry (here's a big tip though, not all poetry rhymes in fact most poets refuse to do the rhyming because the flow of the poem is them forced into a mold, pagans don't force energy in a mold that defeats the purpose.)

try writing your own chant instead. :)
laruna

Post by laruna »

Y-Y I did write it... i couldn't get that line right for anything. And, i do know that not all poetry rhymes, it just seemed like a pretty solid idea to make this one rhyme.. until it decided to rebel on me and just flat out refuse to work. I tried everything i could think of. Eventually i put that line in there because everything else i came up with was much, much worse.
laruna

Post by laruna »

Ok, sorry to double post (on my own post?) but i tried something different, and i was wondering if it seemed like it would work out better.

Dough to Bread
Prospects will be found
Abundance will once again reign
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

I think thats cool your going to try the bread spell. Why do you need a chant at all? I understand that chants are used to raise power but so can many other things as well. As long as you are maintaining specific focus on the goal at hand that is all you really need. You can consider a rhythmic mixing of the ingredients starting out from slow weak strokes to strong fast strokes simulating the slow and steady build of a chant and the same rhytmic idea can be applied to the kneading of the dough as well which takes away your need for the chant there also but if you really want a chant you could try this one below.

From the earth a simple grain,
fashioned so that I may gain.
Bring to me that which I seek,
A job that grants prosperity.
Peace, Good Will, and Harm to None
As I do will, It shall be done.

I'd also like to mention since you got me thinking about this spell. This really covers all the elements in it which is cool so you might want to pay special consideration to them. The grain is the embodiement of earth, the yeast and the levening agents are the embodiment of air because they cause it to rise. The water you add to it is obviously water and the oven you cook it in is fire.

you might want to consider saying a small prayer to each element when it is first being introduced into the dough/bread for example.

with your hands in the flour say:

Powers of Earth I pray to your for strength and stability in all aspects of my life. Allow me to become rooted and strong in a safe working enviromentment where all my needs are met.

after you add the yeast and you see it making the air bubbles then say:

Powers of Air I pray to you for inspiration. Let me be guided by the winds to the job that is best suited for me and my needs.

When the water is added you can say:

Powers of Water, giver of life; grant to me your endurance. Allow me to find a way just as water always finds a way.

when you place in the oven you can say:

Powers of Fire, home, and hearth; allow me to embody your spirit so that I may shine brightly before my future employer so that he or she will know that I am the right one for the job.

obviously these things will be done in a different order because of the way ingredients are added but thats ok. Do them in the order that they would naturally come in the bread making. Dont worry about following each quarter with another like you would in casting a circle. I think since all elements are present in the bread creation that this is a nice way to add a little bit extra to the power of the spell.

You might also consider "SCORING" some magick symbols across the top of the bread right before you place it in the oven.
Zili

Post by Zili »

Oh sorry, I thought it was one you found XD my mistake.
laruna

Post by laruna »

Zili- No worries, the way i introduced it DID make it seem like i found it somewhere. Ms. Sym gave me the idea in my 'a weird question' thread, and i wrote it all out, well, the first part at least. I'm definitely taking Ms. Sym's advice and adding her suggestion to the spell.

Sym- Thank you so much for the suggestions!! I will definitely incorporate them into the spell, and, i like your chant much much more than anything i tried to come up with.. lol I didn't even think of all four elements being incorporated, but now that you have pointed it out, i am definitely adding it to the spell. The only problem is, i don't know any magickal symbols or runes. I know the pentagram of course, but i highly doubt my ability to carve or cut it into the bread dough, I can't even get it down on paper quite right. I hate to ask after all of the other help you have given me, but could you give me a suggestion for a (hopefully simple) rune or two that i CAN cut into the bread?
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

ok so I created a power symbol for you to score onto the bread. I created it in the paint program so exscuse the rudimentary design but it served its purpose. What I have done was combined 3 symbols into one to create a symbol specific to your situation. Disregard the color in the image I just did that to help illustrate how I have combined many aspects into one image. I will explain them below.

We start with a pentagram inside of a circle. This in iteself represents power and magick but it also represents all 5 elements. Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Spirit. Spirit is signified by the purple. The circle around the pentagram also symbolizes magick but it also symbolizes and unending source of power to complete your goal.

The runic symbol in the center of the pentagram is the runic symbol Fehu...this symbol means the following things but also much more Possessions won or earned, earned income, luck. Abundance, financial strength in the present or near future. Sign of hope and plenty, success and happiness. Social success. Energy, foresight,

The next symbol is the crescent attached to the bottom of the pentagram within the circle with rain drops falling form it. This is the symbol for blessings.

So basically what we have here is that you are asking for blessings in regards to financial things and fueled by the power of the elements and the gods.

This is a good "go to" symbol when you are tyring to bring about something of a postive nature into your life. You only ever need to just swap out the symbol in the middle of the star to a symbol that best represents the circumstance.

Id like to also point out this symbol can be placed in the center of the loaf or could even be done in 3's with one at one end one in the middle and one at the other end of the loaf. I probably would do it in 3's. ALSO after you have scored this image onto your loaf and before you put it in the oven be sure that when you place it in the oven that you place it with the stars top point facing away from you. The reason for this is because that "F" symbol in the center of the star means what you want when its in that direction and means a whole bunch of other things when its reversed and since your spell isnt technically finished till the bread is finished baking you dont want to mess it up by putting the symbol inverted causing yourself failure. Greed, burnout, atrophy, discord. Cowardice, stupidity, dullness, poverty, slavery, bondage.

Good luck and I hope this helped
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

dont be scared your gonna mess it up you can cut that into the bread its easy use a small knife and cut slowly and practice first a few tiems before you start. You will be ok. Believe in yourself
laruna

Post by laruna »

Oh wow. See, this is why i love this place so much. I would have NEVER have thought about the scoring idea, and that symbol is amazing. I'm definitely going to have to practice writing it out before i try to score it into the bread. Thank you so much ms. sym, you have been so much help. I can quite honestly say that i would have never even thought of any of this without you. And thank you so so so much for your help. I really couldn't be more grateful.

Now to copy it all out, and start getting ready for Thursday...
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

you very welcome its what I am here for.
laruna

Bread, and my Pentagram!

Post by laruna »

I wasn't sure where to put this, so it kinda ended up here, i hope no one minds..

ANYWAY! i cast the bread spell today and i am so insanely proud of myself for actually successfully cutting the rune into the bread and not messing anything up, i just had to take a picture! Yeah, i know its a little uneven.. but.. i couldn't fix it. Also, i used the clay recipe i found on here to make a pentagram for my (burgeoning) altar. i kinda cheated though, cause i just used a necklace to press the pentagram into the clay. Also, the paint is fingernail polish. it actually works really really well, cause it stopped the clay from flaking off where it was trying to.

Symandinome
Banned Member

Re: Bread, and my Pentagram!

Post by Symandinome »

I am so proud of you!!!! you did a great job on both of them.

You dont have to have things exactly perfect when you did the bread your intentions were clear and good and that is the most important.

the circular disck with the pentragram scribed on it is called a Pentacle and is used on the altar to charge objects and can also be a symbol of earth. You did a great job on it. Whats wrong with using something to make the impression? Im sure thats how they do it when you buy a store bought one. Someone may say to you that you shouldnt use nail polish because of the chemicals but um if you like it then thats all that matters besides the store bought ones have a laquer on them i am sure that is chemicals too!!!! maybe you could spray it with clear spray paint to help seal it.
laruna

Post by laruna »

Thanks!! ^-^

And honestly, the man reason i used the nail polish is for lack of anything better. The paint i actually paint with is watercolor, and i didnt think it was a good idea to soak the clay in water.
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

lol you would be correct there with that lol

Return to “Spell Critique”