Online Wiccan Colleges

Share and discuss pagan music, TV shows, movies, and websites. You may offer your occult/witchcraft-related services here.
Tyrande

Online Wiccan Colleges

Post by Tyrande »

Hello all! :fairy:
Through my research/studying online, I've come across several websites that claim they are "Wiccan Colleges". This is very intriguing to me. You can earn degrees, have a mentor, and assignments- for a tuition/monthly fee.
I was curious to find out if anyone has had experience in joining one of these. Was it worth it? Fair? Helpful? Or just a scam?

Thank you for reading and blessed be!
Tyrande
♡ ♡ ♡ Protect the Ocean, Protect the Land ♡ ♡ ♡
❃ Plant a tree ❃
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Online Wiccan Colleges

Post by Firebird »

I would be curious to know if any one has tried this too.
I think there is a couple of better known schools. I'll look around and see if I can find them.
Bb, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hi Tyrande, this is not quite the same as a Wiccan College, per se, but I'm currently taking some Pagan ministry courses via Cherry Hill Seminary, which is the only Pagan seminary in the country (they are not accredited, but this has more to do with accreditation standards being designed for Judeo-Christian schools, rather than a question of legitimacy). Cherry Hill is very reputable and doing some pioneering work in Pagan education. However, they are NOT a Wicca/Witchcraft 101 school.

I did consider at one point going through an ordination process through a three-degree online Wiccan program, though. I'd recommend doing as much research as you can about the program -- ideally, interview both faculty/instructors and students of the program, get copies of syllabi, etc. A good school (like a good coven) should be interviewing you to make sure you're successful as much as you're interviewing them. Look for instructors who have their lives together (not living from crisis to crisis), but also be wary of instructors who are promising you unlimited and fantastical success/prosperity/mastery of the elements.

Keep in mind that a degree in any particular Wiccan/witchcraft tradition is not a "universal" degree -- Third Degree High Priestess of the Order of the ____ means nothing to people outside the tradition.

Think carefully about how much the program will cost. I do believe that it's important to pay instructors fairly for their time, so I'm not against payment as a blanket rule. Some Wiccan traditions in particular forbid teachers from charging any money at all. But Wiccan degrees shouldn't be like belts in scammy karate dojos ("if you pay $100 now, I'll bump you up to Second Degree Priestess!"). I also am of the opinion that a legitimate Wiccan school will not promise that you will advance a degree if you are in the program for a minimum amount of time. You become a Second or Third degree witch when you reach a certain level of spiritual depth and wisdom, and not just because you spent 18 months doing the program.

Online learning (speaking as someone who is both doing the Pagan ministry education program, AND a graduate school program online) is also not for everyone. It's VERY challenging -- you have to be disciplined, able to work independently, read a lot, speak up when you need help, etc. Really, I think the best way to get educated is to join a local Pagan group and start doing things.

Just some thoughts I've had!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Tyrande

Post by Tyrande »

I was cyber-schooled so I'm familiar with the act of learning online, but in person is always best. It's a lot more hands-on. I will definitely search to see if there are any local pagan group to join, that's a great idea!

The issue with a lot of the sites I've come across is that their information is very vague on what you will learn/achieve. It's a lot of "Pay this amount so you can do this class" & "Afterward pay this amount, for this certification." Feels like a business more than a spiritual 'school'.
I will search for in-person groups. That way I can actually see how the teacher presents themselves and if I feel positive energy from them, as you suggested.
Thank you for replying!
Tyrande
♡ ♡ ♡ Protect the Ocean, Protect the Land ♡ ♡ ♡
❃ Plant a tree ❃
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hi Tyrande! Yeah, I would be really careful about those kinds of websites! I would definitely recommend in-person groups as the way to go : )
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~

Return to “Websites, Media and Services”