Tools of the Trade

Share and discuss pagan music, TV shows, movies, and websites. You may offer your occult/witchcraft-related services here.
DPhoenix

Tools of the Trade

Post by DPhoenix »

I'm putting a website together chock full of educational information. I'm looking for input, if anyone sees anything I missed or has some helpful info to include please let me know! Thanks & Goddess Bless!
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
DPhoenix

Re: Tools of the Trade

Post by DPhoenix »

Athames

Tool info...
Athames are ritual knives or daggers
[*]They are to be used strictly for spell casting purposes; however, a boline is a knife used for magickal crafting purposes.
[*]Due to it's elongated shape, it is considered a phallic symbol of masculinity and represents the God.
[*]Some Witches believe that the athame is the most important ritual tool; however, others believe it to be the wand.
[*]Some traditions teach the athame as being a tool of the air, others believe it to be a tool of fire. Others believe it is a weapon of air that channels fiery energy.
[*]The athame is a sacred tool and should never be used as a weapon.
[*]Proper etiquette dictates that you never touch another person's athame without their expressed permission.
[*]You can substitute an athame using the index & middle finger of your right hand.
[*]Your athame should be consecrated before you use it for magickal puroses. Once consecrated it should ONLY be used for magick spells and rituals.
When to use the athame...
[*]Once consecrated it should ONLY be used for magick spells and rituals.
[*] It is used as a tool to direct magick energies
[*] The athame is used to draw out and define the area you're working with to cast your Circle. This provides a safe spiritual/metaphysical space for you to work in.
[*] It is also used calling and dismissing the quarters.
Closing thoughts...
Different traditions have different beliefs about the materials, size and type of blade the athame should have. Ultimately, you should choose a knife or dagger that resonates with you. The energy of the tool is more important then how it looks or what materials it is made of.
A consecration ritual makes your knife sacred by dedicating it solely to the Goddess and God for magickal purposes. By 'pledging' to use it only for the work they wish you to do, it is blessed and granted power on the spiritual plane. You can dedicate it to a specific Goddess and/or God or in general on a universal scale (based on your beliefs and what resonates with you).
Sample Consecration Ritual
[*]Cleansing: Some traditions have specific steps to their consecration rituals. The important first step though is cleansing. This can be done by putting it on a pentacle & sprinkling it with a water & salt mixture from your altar bowl & chalice, you can smudge it with sage, you can annoint it with a mixture of hyssop and olive oil, you can use cleansing crystals like citrine or sunstone (masculine stones that also cleanse), or you can simply meditate with it in your hands visualizing a white light cleansing it of all energy so you can 'reprogram' it. The important thing is to do what feels right to you and cleanse it thoroughly.
[*] Charging: Now that you've cleansed it you need to put energy back into it. By consecrating your athame it is being charged with the power of the Goddess and God. This is where you outright ask them to bless and empower your tool. There are plenty of rituals on the web that will tell you what to say but I believe it's best if you come up with something original. It doesn't have to be fancy or rhyme, it just needs to come from the heart.
[*] Offering: I like to give a little offering as a thank you when I'm done. This is optional and isn't necessary (I don't know of any other witches who do this). I'll hold up a piece of bread and cup of wine to the sun then set the bread on the ground and poor the wine ontop of it.
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix

Return to “Websites, Media and Services”