Shamanism and the 4 directions

[cherokeewind]

Shamanism and the 4 directions

Post by [cherokeewind] »

This is a Plains Indian version of a stone Medicine Wheel circle. The Spokes which are stones placed between the center and the 4 directions at the outer circle, represent intents associated with each element. I thought this might be useful in comparing with Wiccan circles to understand the 4 elements better. These stones form a + symbol.

The four colors of the Medicine Wheel are traditionally Red, Yellow, Black, and White. These represent four races of humans. Each tribe places the order, of colors in a direction, according to their tradition. A few tribes use an alternative color (such as Bluegreen), usually substituting for only one of the directions. A certain Band of Natives, may pick a set of color correspondences which is different, as a way of showing identity. Whatever set of colors you use for the Medicine Wheel, doesn't make your prayers any less effective nor are they any more important to the Great Mystery. At a time when the Native American religion was under attack, some Natives began to walk the Medicine Wheel the opposite direction (instead of Sun-wise). This explains the order of color placement by some Indians. The elements (fire energy, water, etc.) might be adjusted accordingly, in the use of directions also.

East Wind-The Teacher

Air, Illumination, Wisdom, Clarity
Smudging: Tobacco
Season: Spring (Associated with morning)
Medicine: Healthy mind
Relationship: Sun
Life Phase: Elder

Colors:

Red (Wi-sun)

Red for the East, and enlightenment

Anishinaabe-Yellow

Lakota-Red (Most common)

Lakota, Black Elk-White (color of renewal and spirit, is linked to the East)

Lakota, Pine Ridge-East is Yellow which symbolizes the rising Sun and it is the beginning

Old Cherokee-Red (symbolized power and healing)

Some Apache-Black

South Wind-The Healer

Fire, Spirit, Trust, Love, Growth
Smudging: Sage
Season: Summer (Associated with daytime)
Medicine: Strong human spirit
Relationship: Mother Earth
Life Phase: Childhood

Colors:

Yellow (Inyan-rock)

Anishinaabe-Red

Lakota-Yellow (Most common)

Some Lakota (less common): White for the South (Black for the West; Red for the North; Yellow for the East)

Lakota, Black Elk-Yellow (associated with unity and quiet)

Lakota, Pine Ridge-White (represents when we complete the circle of life, going to the Spirit World)

Some Plains Indians use Earth as the element, with Black for the color of this direction.

Old Cherokee-White (symbolized blessings, virtue, the rains that fell from the sky, purity and all that was good)

Some Apache-Blue or Dark Green (same term in Apache)

West Wind-The Visionary

Water, Emotions, Dreams, Experience, Introspection
Smudging: Sweet grass
Season: Fall (Associated with sunset)
Medicine: Healthy emotions
Relationship: Moon
Life Phase: Youth

Colors:

Anishinaabe-Black

Lakota-Black (Most common)

Lakota, Black Elk-Black (color representative of war and confrontation)

Lakota, Pine Ridge-West is Black for the setting Sun, signifying death, the end of our life.

Some Plains Indians use Fire as the element, with Red for the color of this direction.

Old Cherokee-Black (symbolized the doorway to the spirit world, death, and the place of the thunder beings)

Some Apache-Yellow

North Wind-The Warrior

Earth, Body, Physical Cleansing, Purity, Renewal
Smudging: Cedar
Season: Winter (Associated with midnight)
Medicine: Physical body
Relationship: Father Sky
Life Phase: Adult

Colors:

Anishinaabe-White

Lakota-White (Most common)

Lakota, Black Elk-Red (color of law and control, is associated with the North)

Lakota, Pine Ridge-North is Red, for the Red Road that Indians want to walk on.

Some Plains Indians use Water as the element, with White for the color of this direction.

Old Cherokee-Blue (symbolized adversity, struggle, and those things that harmed the human people)

Some Apache-White

Between the Directions

These stones go, one on each side (left and to the right) of the direction stones. If evenly spaced, you will have a well formed circle.

EAST-Northeast/Southeast (2 stones): Flying Creatures, Rooted beings

SOUTH-Southeast/Southwest (2 stones): Earth Walkers (4-leggeds), Ancestors

WEST-Southwest/Northwest (2 stones): Stones, Water Creatures

NORTH-Northwest/Northeast (2 stones): Rainbow Spirits, Earth Crawlers

The Spokes

Between the Four Directions and center are placed four stones (at each direction). The element plus three other stones. This is called the Spokes. Additional stones go around the center. Three stones come between the element stone and the center of the sacred circle. They each have a meaning and are numbered 1-3 under the direction/element. Usually a permanent circle is prepared of stones and smudged first before using for ceremonies.

East-Air (Element)

1. Illumination

2. Wisdom

3. Leadership (Clarity)

South-Fire (Element)

1. Spirit

2. Gentleness (Trust, Love)

3. Growth (Healing)

West-Water (Element)

1. Emotions

2. Dreams

3. Introspection

North-Earth (Element)

1. Physical Body

2. Cleansing (Purity)

3. Renewal (Stamina)

Stones of the Inner Circle

Numbered stones are placed in logical order to surround the center stone.

Center-Universe or Creator stone

1. Father Sky

2. Grandfather Sun

3. Grandmother Moon

4. Mother Earth

5. Stars

6. Planets

7. Milky Way

The Four Directions

Add a stone for to mark each direction (East, South, West, North). The colors associated with each direction varies among tribes. You may chose a stone for the color or for the sacred significance. Maybe a rock from a certain river or stream for the West. Mountains, desert, valleys, are all good places to look.
Cherokeewind
Kolohe Redux
Banned Member

Post by Kolohe Redux »

Thank you. Got a book out of the library called The Medicine Wheel Garden last winter, may get it out again and add some of these principles to our landscaping. The sun is out, may go do a little digging and clean up today.

Kolohe
[cherokeewind]

Post by [cherokeewind] »

I have suggested to others before about using the Medicine Wheel as a rock garden. this is the first time I've heard of anyone writing a book on it. There have been Medicine Wheel books...yeah, just plant herbs around your stones and tell people this is your rock garden. They will never guess it is a magic circle. Pretend like you're out weeding the circle garden...do some energy work or spells. Someone in the Southwest could use cactus, they flower at times.
Cherokeewind
[cherokeewind]

Post by [cherokeewind] »

If you intend to do some smudging or pipe ceremony...this info gives guidelines for calling the Quarters in the ways of Shamanism plus how to do the loading of a pipe. For smudging there is no loading, just smudging yourself first and to the 4 directions, Mother Earth, Father Sky, the Great Mystery. Great Mystery is one way you could translate the Lakota Wakan Tanka. Indians have a habit of capitalizing words we normally don't, as a way to emphasize that which is spiritual (colors, spiritual qualities, etc.). So, since the info I have is given to Natives also, is done like they do for their ceremonies.

The ceremony here is more or less a blend of Lakota tradition and other Plains Indian customs. But it is much the same, as done by other tribes. Chanunpa is the Lakota name for the Sacred Pipe used for the ceremony. This basic ceremony is often an important part of the larger tribal event.

The Native American Pipe Ceremony

The sacred pipe is preferred for group ceremonies, smudging is often used too. Indians are to form a circle. Tobacco can be offered to the sacred fire also. A pipe is loaded with tobacco (or a blend with tree bark), a pinch at a time to each direction. Some Natives sprinkle a pinch to the Earth, as an offering each step of loading. A prayer is said, during the loading of a pipe. The color of a direction usually is mentioned first. Followed by the naming of benefits we receive in prayer. East is the logical starting point, for this is where the Sun rises each day. The pipe is loaded and passed, smoked Sun-wise around the circle.

Let us begin. You hold the pipe bowl in the palm of your left hand, stem in the right hand to the East. Drop a pinch of tobacco with the left hand into the bowl. Say your loading prayer now. Do the same to the South, West, and North.

A prayer for loading may go like this:

"Red is the East. Red is the color of the Morning Star and the rising Sun. The East is where we find Peace through Knowledge. The Spotted Eagle, being all these things, it's feathers bring us insight and visions. The Red East is a place where Peace, light and new life rise up each day."

"Yellow is the South. Yellow is the color of Spring and for the Yellow Hoop. We feel the warm South Wind, a time for planting seed. The South is where a sacred tree "The Great Mystery" had planted. As the pipe is loaded, so we give thanks for our strength, growth, and healing."

"Black is the West. Black is the color of Water and the Spirit World. The West is where we seek Wisdom from our Spirit Guides. A time to give thanks for balanced emotions sought through the braiding of the Sweet Grass. Here the Sun sets and the place rain originates. Of deeds done in the dark, the West is the end or finality of all things and will become final ."

"White is the North. White is the color of the Great Snow Blanket that covers Mother Earth. The North is where we learn Endurance and Prayer. White Buffalo Calf Woman, Ptecincala Ska Wakan Winan, came to us from the North. The North gives us cleansing, purifying and strengthening power. Those who have a vision of the White Eagle become healers."

Added Note
A pinch of tobacco is loaded for Mother Earth, lowering the stem to the ground. Green is the color of Mother Earth. Some include rocks, 4-leggeds, 2-leggeds, plants, minerals, and all other creatures (same pinch of tobacco). The pipe is now loaded to Father Sky, held with stem toward Grandfather Sun or Grandmother Moon. Blue is The Sky Father. To stand symbolizes union of Father Sky with Mother Earth.

In the stone Medicine Wheel, one which is permanent sacred space, there are seven stones around the center. In addition to Mother Earth, Grandmother Moon, Grandfather Sun, Father Sky, you have three more directions. Star Nation, Other Worlds or Planets, Wolf Road or Milky Way, not including the center. Center stone here just represents a person's connection to the Universe. Often referred to as The Creator Stone. Not all tribes used stone Medicine Wheels. A Sacred Pipe Ceremony can be done using three directions for loading in the center. The last pinch of tobacco loaded, is to Wakan Tanka, creator of us all. The pipe is held high, with both hands above the head.

The loading of the pipe for the center directions can be simplified. You should say and load as three directions.

After each pinch you could say:

"Green is the Earth Mother (Pipe stem to the ground). We are all of Mother Earth. All plants, trees, rocks, minerals, flying creatures, water beings, Earth crawlers, Earth walkers (4-leggeds), and 2-leggeds."

"Blue is the Sky Father (Pipe stem pointed toward Grandfather Sun or Grandmother Moon). I am standing here in union of Father Sky with Mother Earth."

"I offer this pinch of tobacco to Wakan Tanka (Both arms fully extended above the head, holding pipe level. Hang on to the stem and drop a pinch of tobacco into the bowl using your left hand). Oh Great Mystery, you are creator of all!"

In a sacred pipe ceremony, some tribes pass it around four times and for some it is done five. You receive the pipe hands turned palm up. Left hand under bowl with the right hand under the stem. To smoke the right hand is held top of the stem palm down. This is how the pipe should be held when passing it on. If the pipe still contains tobacco after passed around in a group ceremony, it is capped with sage for later. Otherwise the ashes may be (after ceremony) dumped on the ground.

In doing a personal private or family pipe ceremony, you can walk around your circle (inside edge) four times. The walking should be done first as a sealing of the sacred space representing the Sacred Hoop. Objects such as stones or seashells can be placed at the four directions, two between each of the directions, and the center. A temporary sacred space can be created this way.

In a group circle, each person smokes the pipe then passes it on around the circle Sun-wise (clockwise). The smoke is not to be inhaled, but mixed with air (from lungs) in the mouth as it is exhaled. Symbolizes the meeting of human with the divine. Before passing the pipe, a person smokes it to the Four Directions, Earth and Sky. A prayer is said then, for some personal need or desire.

Most tribes have rules or a tradition concerning who should be a pipe carrier. Cherokees never had a pipe carrier tradition, but others do. This only applies to those who know they are Native American and their heritage is one with a pipe carrier tradition. The stem should be removed when a ceremony is finished (if a traditional Chanunpa style pipe).

The Pipe

A traditional pipe will be made of pipestone, antler, wood, or clay. Later when Traders offered the Smoking Hawks, metal came into use. These have a hide gasket between the stem and axe bowl. Since it is hard to line up the hole of the gasket (once removed), you leave them joined. But, the stem can be cut and this way modified as to become a traditional Chanunpa. Clay pipes don't separate either, but they still can be used. A smudging clay pipe has a thick short stem and large solid bowl. This is so doesn't get too hot for holding to smudge.

Pipe bag is designed to hold a pipe bowl and a stem. A stem is stored in a compartment that separates it from the bowl. During a ceremony, the two are joined together representing union of Father Sky with Mother Earth. The pipe is normally lighted using an ember or coal, rather than a blaze. Some Native Americans like smudge sticks to start up a pipe. Of course, blowing out the flame after lighting a smudge stick.

Don't forget about thanking the spirits! Before opening your circle, thank the helpers and Wakan Tanka. This should be done in the reverse order that you loaded the pipe. Start by thanking the Great Spirit, Father Sky, Grandfather Sun, Grandmother Moon, Mother Earth, and then the spirit helpers (animals) of the 4 directions.
Cherokeewind
SeekerGray

Post by SeekerGray »

That was a great amount of knowledge you just gave everyone. Thank you very much; I plan to read all of it later and respond accordingly (why is life the busiest when you are trying to learn something? :( )
[cherokeewind]

Post by [cherokeewind] »

I'm kind of busy at the moment too...weather is nice, outdoor things around home to do. :)
Cherokeewind
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

I had just asked about black candles and saw your reply when I stumbled upon this thread. This needs to be set up as a web page, or has this already been done at this point?
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)
[cherokeewind]

Post by [cherokeewind] »

Phorum Ghost wrote:I had just asked about black candles and saw your reply when I stumbled upon this thread. This needs to be set up as a web page, or has this already been done at this point?
Yes, I had the info on my site...then revised and updated it when used for the Cherokee message board...this here in the thread is my new updated info.

You know, at the Cheokee message board...the spiritual teacher and shaman for the Texas Cherokee tribe asked me permission to copy the info for her use. She actually is Huron-Turtle, but the Cherokee tribe needed her down there. But, she said what I have is the best info available and more accurate.

I can give you the links here...Native American Cherokee message board.
EDIT...ROMOVED LINKS, THEY WERE BROKEN

That about sums up all the basics...there is more, but haven't taken time to write the pages yet. :wink:
Last edited by Firebird on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Broken links
Cherokeewind
SapphireRoad

Re: Shamanism and the 4 directions

Post by SapphireRoad »

I love the correspondences of quarters, the winds in this topic. I am going to study these correspondences.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Shamanism and the 4 directions

Post by SpiritTalker »

This is a fantastic piece.

Return to “Shamanism”