Beginning a Shamanic Journey??

Nightfyre

Beginning a Shamanic Journey??

Post by Nightfyre »

Hello everyone, I have a few... or a lot of questions on Shamanism. I have been browsing the forums for awhile but still confused on a few areas and would greatly appreciate anyone's help. I have been a practicing witch for a few years now, and have loved it but always felt off. I have tried following a few different aspects of the craft, going to some other people for help, but it never really worked. As I have studied though, I feel this pull towards the shamanic path. While I haven't practiced it, it seems familiar to me somehow.

This revelation would make me happy if it didn't leave me with so many questions. I don't know where to start, all of my practice has been from reading and doing, a dangerous method which I have learned the hard way a few times. Yet, at the same time, I don't know of anyone who I can go to and ask to help me. Are there some introductory books that anyone could recommend I read? And if anyone has any tips or suggestions that they can offer I would greatly appreciate it.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Beginning a Shamanic Journey??

Post by SpiritTalker »

You may find Nigel Pearson's "Treading the Mill" helpful as a starting place in laying down a more traditional WC rather than Wiccan practice. "Dancing with the Wheel" by Sun Bear is reader friendly basic on the medicine wheel. There's also a workbook edition of the same name. Just start browsing the shamanism book reviews on Amazon to get the feel of the topic. It's up to you how deep you want to take the shamanic path, & if you're called to spiritually fulfill it. YouTube videos have teaching available if you make time &'effort to browse.

Im a witch & not on a shamanistic path, so bear that in mind. IMO a drum & a rattle won't make someone a shaman any more than a sparkling altar & pentacle makes someone a Wiccan. Living the mystery of the path we're called to, thru experiencing it, is what it's about. Each path has ways of creating energy balance that makes "reading and doing" safe. When something resonates with you pay attention to what is being stirred within you and keep it's opposite in mind/sight for balance. WC duality is about integrating and also about balance. The wheel with its cross roads is about sustaining balance. The circle with it's elemental quarters is also about balance. Attempting the path without balance usually blows a fuse to restore balance. Nature sustains & balances itself thru cycles. The Earth rotates on it's axis and also orbits the Sun. Ad nauseum.

The best tip i can give anyone who wants to learn a path is ask specific questions. No one can tell from your typing what it is that you don't know, so ask useful questions based specifically in what attracts you to shamanism (or any path). So I suggest you make a list of 10 things you want to know. No matter what it is. How do I do -- ...fill-in the blank. What is the meaning of -- ...fill-in the blank. Why is A different form B? You do the thinking.

Check your local community for workshops. Check outside your community via the web to hunt further. I recommend Sara Ann Lawless' web sight on trad WC.
Nightfyre

Post by Nightfyre »

Thank you Spirit Talker this is very helpful
EveningWithAstaroth

Post by EveningWithAstaroth »

Nightfyre wrote:Hello everyone, I have a few... or a lot of questions on Shamanism. I have been browsing the forums for awhile but still confused on a few areas and would greatly appreciate anyone's help. I have been a practicing witch for a few years now, and have loved it but always felt off. I have tried following a few different aspects of the craft, going to some other people for help, but it never really worked. As I have studied though, I feel this pull towards the shamanic path. While I haven't practiced it, it seems familiar to me somehow.

This revelation would make me happy if it didn't leave me with so many questions. I don't know where to start, all of my practice has been from reading and doing, a dangerous method which I have learned the hard way a few times. Yet, at the same time, I don't know of anyone who I can go to and ask to help me. Are there some introductory books that anyone could recommend I read? And if anyone has any tips or suggestions that they can offer I would greatly appreciate it.
What questions do you have? You must have specific questions yes? Not all of the answers to those are going to be given in a book.

There are a myriad of questions I ask myself and the creator every single day- They are not always answered, you see how it is?

Also I have a question of my own, what do you expect to come about from walking this path? If you expect that as soon as you mention that you are practicing Shamanism among your inner circle- that others will start coming to you for help constantly... you may want to consider a more realistic approach.

A shaman doesn't choose to be a Shaman, it is a calling from the creator- the great spirit. One does not wake up one day and decide- I want to be a Shamanic Practitioner. There is a strong calling to do this from the creator. It is more than a want, or feeling of desire. It is a dire need.

And then one is initiated by the creator. And then according to Shamans, one must find a teacher- or if tribal if one is chosen by the community one will be taught from young.

Yadada yadda yaddda.

Truth? Relax, there is not dire need for a teacher, this is a practice, that involves a very close relationship with the creator and the natural world. Meaning one can be called and initiated by the creator himself.

But it is important to understand, it is a long path, years of learning, and service, and it is a very very difficult path.

I tend to think those uninitiated will grow bored when their expectations are not met right off the bat and walk away, and move on to something else.

All this aside, you asked for book recommendations.

I will give you a couple I have read that helped me greatly.

One was called "Urban Shaman".

And another "The Shaman's Body".

I currently write off the top of my head, and can not remember the authors, but those are a couple of titles of books I had began with.

Other than that I do suggest research on your own. Look into Shamanism, and what it entails.

The best of luck to you, Nightfyre.
Nightfyre

Post by Nightfyre »

Thank you for the advice, EveningWithAstaroth. I looked into the books you suggested today. I understand that it will take a long time to become adept in this practice, that is how it is in any path someone may follow. I also understand the challenge of not being initiated or having someone to actually teach me. All things considered, it was not a hasty decision to begin following this new path, nor was it one that I consciously chose. It is a much longer story than this, but before I decided to start fully looking into this path, I experienced several distinct signs to do so, and whats more is I feel compelled to do so. I am fully aware that it will not be easy, nor simple, but I am still going through with it.

Thank you again for you advice and help, EveningWithAstaroth

Return to “Shamanism”