Uses of the rattle

nightshroud

Uses of the rattle

Post by nightshroud »

I recently bought my rattle but I'm curious on what are the ways it can be used for.
The darkness is my friend for I am Nightshroud the darklord.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: uses of the rattle

Post by SpiritTalker »

Off the top of my head, rattles make noise. Pleasant, rhythmic sound attracts and angry, rapid sounds probably repel. Sound chases away unwanted spirits, & that clears a space for something beneficial to replace it. Sound makes rhythm that is compatible with trance induction. What else can you think of?
EveningWithAstaroth

Re: uses of the rattle

Post by EveningWithAstaroth »

Hello.

I use my rattle for space clearing, to clear a space, like said the sound is supposed to represent the driving out of spirits, some also use a bell for this instead.

A rattle also can be used as a meditation focus- seems appropriate to use during meditations of journeying.

It could be used also during other ritual events for different purposes- example dance, or during a lodge, things of that nature.

Blessings.
nightshroud

Re: Uses of the rattle

Post by nightshroud »

Okay, so what would I have to do for a space clearing?
And for blessings?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I dont really know, and have never used a rattle & I imagine its similar to a wand for directing your will. so Im just trying to imagine what id do.

First, of course, center yourself so that you are in touch with your intuitive sensors. With rattle in hand, walk the circumference of a circle. Shake the rattle rythmically as you go, so the sound aids a light trance level. Think of scattering the sound like scattering away all energies that do not serve your intent. If you feel resistance, use fierce, rapid sounds and wide, outward sweeping motions to push away unwanted energies and spirits. Circle 'round until the space feels clear and without resistance. Use the voice of the rattle to express your thoughts. At each of the quarters you could make a four-way, equal arm cross motion to emphasize the 4 ways. imagine a 4-way cross centered within the circular space you walked. Hold it in place with a vertical center line, affixed above and below, so your space is three dimensional. Walk thru it in your imagination and see what feels right to you.

Blessing seems associated with unity of the six ways, the 4 cardinal directions plus above &'below, united in the center, the Now-moment. The circle brings them together in a balanced state so all are equal. How to express that with a rattle...? It must be by your intent, gestures, the rattle's voice and any spoken words. Cleansing is blessing after all. I'm not sure at what point invoking one's higher power would come into play, but imagine IT will let you know when it wants to participate. Blessing comes from the higher power, using our bodies to channel it's forces, to enact It's will.
nightshroud

Post by nightshroud »

Thanks, I'm just tired, I've done a lot today.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

If you Google how to clear a space with a singing bowl or a bell, then the method for using a rattle is pretty easy to figure out.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Nightshroud,maybe you can play around with it.

I do use sound from a bell or singing bowl, like in the vid Corvidus suggested, and from a tuning fork to clear space. In a pinch with no tools on me outdoors, I've sung sacred space, pulling sound up from the ground. That's something I used to do as a kid and remembered in my late teens. Id find a space with good reverberating echoes and throw my voice at it. When I'd hit the right pitch, pushing song from the gut, the shock wave backwashing on me was ecstatic. Freeway underpass pedestrian tunnels are good for this.
nightshroud

Post by nightshroud »

thank you all though id like t get a singing bowl that sounds useful I found my rattle useful for meditation,dances, chanting, light trance work

Return to “Shamanism”