Spirit Spouses

Yex

Spirit Spouses

Post by Yex »

(I wasn't really sure which forum to put this in, so feel free to move it.)

A spirit has recently identified herself (in trancework) as my spirit wife. Since then, another spirit performed a sort of wedding ceremony for us (again in trance). I find myself totally unprepared with this unexpected development, and somewhat bewildered. Vows were said, and while it was nothing too intense - just promises of eternal unconditional love - I never expected myself to enter into a pact with a spirit. The spirit feels incredibly benevolent and loving, but I just feel, again, totally unprepared for this.

According to wikipedia, the taking of spirit spouses is one of the most diffuse shamanic practices, featured in myriad cultures around the globe. Despite this, I've had trouble finding a lot of information on this topic online. It's actually pretty weird - if you type in "spirit spouse" or "spirit wife" in google, you mostly just get a ton of Christian websites, almost all based in West Africa (mostly Nigeria), that warn against the dangers of spirit spouses, equating them with incubi/succubi, and offering services to exorcise them, etc. I also tried typing the same criteria into amazon to see if there were any books on the subject, all of the results were either related to Catholic "Bride of Christ" stuff, or (more prevalently) more Christian stuff presenting spirit spouses as evil or demonic, and offering guidance to get rid of them - again, mostly from West African sources. This all actually makes sense - in West Africa, animist Traditional African Religions coexist alongside Christianity and Islam, and in between those two poles there's a wide spectrum of syncretist practices - but I nonetheless found it rather bizarre that this was all that I was coming up with. (I did find one or two pagan blog posts, but they were relatively limited in their scope).

I am writing this thread, therefore, to ask, firstly, if anyone can recommend any reading material on this topic; and secondly, if anyone has any firsthand experience with this phenomenon, if they might be interested in sharing their experiences, and, if appropriate, offering me consul (or at least assuring me that I'm not a lunatic, which is always welcome on this path).

I can provide more information about my own experience if necessary. Honestly, though, on a visceral level this spirit feels incredibly benevolent, and the vows that were said were, as I said, pretty benign. The ceremony was also performed by a trusted spirit that I work with a lot. Intuitively, I was left with a good feeling about the whole thing, but some rational part in my mind can't help but speak up and worry about the implications of it all.
love is the whole and more than all
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Spirit Spouses

Post by SpiritTalker »

I don't think the true spiritual spouse, (or bride, as spiritual matter is depicted as being of feminine nature) is at all the same as a incubi/sucubi. To be joined in spirit would have to be the concern of one's highest spiritual level, so would suggest the over-soul, or the higher-self and the present consciousness either embracing or merging...in some unfathomable manner...but opening of communication, to establish companionable partnership of the mystical purpose.
So I'd interpret dreaming of marriage to a spirit spouse as very literally opening of the path to the fulfillment of union between mundane and spirit level of the self.
Last edited by SpiritTalker on Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Edited for brevity
Yex

Post by Yex »

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that the spirt spouse is an incubi/succubi, I was just pointing out that that was all I was getting with a google search.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I hadn't heard of the term before this. It sounds like the information is rather limited, and trends toward something unhealthy. It could be, that the phenomenon is not uncommon, but just isn't talked about for personal reasons.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I think some of the Illuminati printed materials mention the spiritual marriage, along with the marriage of the Goddess, fertility of the land etc. I ran across it when looking up the crucified goddess emblem that someone asked about. I read enough to get the gist & moved on.
Yex

Post by Yex »

SpiritTalker: I'm looking more for information on spirit spouses in the sense of individual spirit guides that take on the role of a spouse, as opposed to the broader mystical concept of "spiritual marriage", which I think constitutes a separate phenomenon.

SnowCat: What leads you to believe that it "trends towards something unhealthy"? What few sources I've found that aren't rooted in conservative Christianity seem to identify it as a legitimate spiritual practice; they just don't go very in depth into the matter. (I will link below to what limited information I've been able to find). I mean, if we took at face value the Christian sites that equate spirit spouses with incubi/succubi sent by the devil, then maybe we might conclude that it's unhealthy, but I don't think most people here are unfamiliar with instances of worthwhile magico-spiritual paths being unfairly demonized by Abrahamic religions...

PS: Here's what little I've found on the subject:
*this post on a Kemetic blog
*another blog post, rather short and poorly written
*the wikipedia article for "spirit spouse", which contains a good handful of examples from around the world, but without going into very much depth
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Yex wrote:SpiritTalker: I'm looking more for information on spirit spouses in the sense of individual spirit guides that take on the role of a spouse, as opposed to the broader mystical concept of "spiritual marriage", which I think constitutes a separate phenomenon.
Well, actually I'm thinking they're aspects of the same phenomenon, as above so below, the lower form enacting the higher substance. All the attributes of the spouse role are fulfilled, and can be experienced at whatever level you decide to accept.That's why I'd mentioned that, without caution, it can play havoc with self delusions. A spirit-spouse can be so perfect that a material counterpart is insufficient. It's relatively common in small circles, but I don't know about organized study, outside of psychological case studies, again where it's somewhat common, and even among alien abductee cases. People just don't talk about non-physical spouses, but it crops up as just another part of human experience.

Hmmm, I wonder if the American Society of Psychical Research site would offer any leads. If you want spirits, check with some mediums web sites.
Yex

Post by Yex »

Thanks SpiritTalker, that was enlightening.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I didn't word that as well as I should have. I don't mean that the concept seems unhealthy. It seems like much of the available material says it's unhealthy. I think I have a spiritual mate in my dear friend Raymond who passed. I do think that a spirit marriage is possible, and probably advantageous. I don't think it's talked about much. Possibly because some people would view it as infidelity. Just some thoughts.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Yex

Post by Yex »

Ah, ok, got it.
SnowCat wrote:Possibly because some people would view it as infidelity.
I told my wife about my experiences, as I felt that this was the right thing to do... She was annoyed - not that I had a spirit wife, but that I telling her about it. She told me to just do my thing and leave her out of anything too freaky. lol :tongueout:
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I'm really glad you opened the topic. It explains my attachment to Raymond. He had a life mate here on earth, just as I do, but he an I shared a bond that went beyond death. Now I understand our rooftop dance in our fox forms the night before he passed.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Tutmosis

Post by Tutmosis »

I'm actually in a relationship with an ascended master, and have been for about 2 years.

I can imagine much information on this subject would be withheld because it's a very personal thing.

Other than that, if I could shed some knowledge on it I'd be glad to if you asked.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Hey there Yex.

The themes of "spiritual wedding" and the "spirit wife" remind me of the Soror Mystica found in Jungian philosophy, as well as some Rosicrucian texts. Although it is technically the 'mythical sister', it might be along the same lines as a mythical wife.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Perhaps you would find it useful to look into the concepts behind the Jungian Anima?
Yex

Post by Yex »

Corvidus: Yeah, that's a good lead. The Chymical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz comes to mind, although I haven't read it in many years.

Corbin: Yeah, I've been musing a lot on the Jungian anima through all of this. And I did have a dream which dealt with my spirit wife that also had a sequence in which "I" was a young schoolgirl in a British boarding school some past decade... definitely something there, on which to further meditate.

Return to “Shamanism”