Conflict with Honoring my ancestors.

HopefulChild

Conflict with Honoring my ancestors.

Post by HopefulChild »

I very much appreciate the thoughts of everyone who has contributed to these forums, especially in the instances where we don't see eye to eye. Having my concepts challenged is a tremendous gift and it pushes me to work things out under my model and thus, makes me more complete.

So thank you in advance to anyone who wants to be part of the conversation.

I'd like to discuss this idea more than get a resolution or "answer".

My family line as far as I can trace it, are Christians, and Native Americans who were converted to Christianity. I'll ignore the chip on my shoulder...it's there...I know it...moving on.

In honoring my ancestors I am curious if my practices cause insult and conflict because the spiritual practices of my family line on both sides are dominantly Christian.

See where I'm going? I don't want to practice Christianity, but I also understand that not being Christian could be causing a conflict between the spirits of my ancestors and myself. Maybe they want to be a part of my life but can't reconcile themselves that I have chosen to turn away from their collective concept of G*D.

Do any of you think it likely that the collective spirits of my ancestors joined up with their Christian collective and because I don't share that energy I have become a blind spot to them?

Would it be more helpful or hurtful to do a summoning of my ancestors to force the spirits to acknowledge me, or stick with what I have been doing. Which is to make offerings, learn the ancestral path, and make assumptions about my European ancestors and try to acknowledge them in general in hopes and belief that my line will begin to notice my diligence.

I missed thanksgiving for offerings. I did. I'm owning that!!! We were busy, my sister was visiting and we got caught up in the live people and I forgot to set an offering or place...Thanksgiving is a secular holiday in my opinion though so I don't feel terribly guilty about it, but since it is considered a family holiday I really should have made space in my brain to remember to do something.

How would you imagine conflicting traditions effect the spirits. I don't think that once they died my Christian ancestors "discovered they were wrong" and became born again pagans in the afterlife. That's not how my model works. It's just as probable to me that many of my ancestors "checked in" to their ideological version of heaven or hell and removed themselves from interaction altogether.

So what do you think.
Becks

Re: Conflict with Honoring my ancestors.

Post by Becks »

Oh! Really good food for thought!!

My feelings and experiences on the subject maybe vary a bit. I talk and work with my ancestors a great deal. I don't work with all of them mind you. The tricky thing, kind of like you were mentioning, is that I think this working with ancestors also depends on which path they have followed on the next plane. I feel like some have reincarnated, some have gone on to serve in some kind of capacity (not sure which), some are farther away, and some are riiight here.

I kind of look at it like they are individuals who make a choice to stop by, work with me, or not...

Much like a living person will be close to you or not....it's about relationship in time and space.....it can change. I am happy if somebody wants to work with me, but I don't force it.

We don't always get along with everybody, but we can be thankful to them, regardless of their path, for how they have contributed to you today. It's a gift I think.....even if it's a gene.....or a relationship that was part of your growing up, or a relationship you have in spirit.

I think you can say "Thanks peeps" to everyone regardless of their belief. I show respect in the same way I respect anyone living or dead. I don't seek to bind or control anyone that doesn't wish to be awknowledged or show up.

Some folks also have asshats in families and don't ever want to meet up with their nasty family that has passed. That's okay too....just because they're dead-that doesn't grant them immediate access....we have closer ties with some over others.

I feel like that ancestral spirit is like a real person and I treat them accordingly.

My family were largely Christian because everybody was......but my grandfather was a diviner and my Grandmum was highly gifted. She once got up from the table and went to the store because she "was going to win something". She came back with a spice rack. My Dad's mum passed when he was just 4 but came to my mum when she was pregnant with me. My Dad and Grandmum are frequently around. Yes, they were Christian....technically....but they were also something else....

I say make your offerings and give thanks work with whoever comes forward....and if they don't want to work with you...then that's cool. I'm sure you have more than a few that are there for you. They got to make their choices in life, and now you get to make yours. I say it's all good.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I don't think you can go wrong in continuing to reach out. You might also maintain an awareness of unexpected responses. By that, I mean that someone may have reached out to you, but you didn't recognize it. It's true that not everyone wants to have contact, whether on this plane or the next. Maintaining respect is rarely a bad choice.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Amphitrite

Post by Amphitrite »

Keep the door open, and if they want to come to you then they can. If they don't because you don't follow the same path they do/did then that is very shallow minded of them, and hopefully they will learn that everyone is Spirit no matter their path.
manshin

Post by manshin »

Honoring your ancestors isn't a huge thing like that. Basically the ones that retained their christian afterlife will hiver around you as "guardian angels" anyway and if they don't want to be a part of your venerations, they simply won't be.
Korean Sorceress/Shaman 만신; witch; Kemetic Orthodoxy
*I do not follow any (Neo)Wiccan beliefs.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

As a former medium, concepts of working with ancestors should be as easy as falling off a log to me, but it isn't. I discover my own conceits and prejudices are problems. I consider the living examples i have met of the family gene pool and think my ancestors have some explaining to do, including myself as a shining example. :roll: My pride takes a direct hit. With ancestors, You don't get to choose. It is hoped that the ones who are willing to help are the right ones for the task. We have to leave it up to Lady Fate, and you know what She's like.

Return to “Shamanism”