What is Tengrism?

Naudia Threng
Banned Member

What is Tengrism?

Post by Naudia Threng »

Recently a friend told me that her grandmother talked about Tengrism to her. My friends uber catholic father told her gran to stop rambling about sky god cults. My friend was too lazy to see what Tengrism was. But I did. It seems a bit like shamanism. Could anyone tell me more? It actually seems like a religion I could find faith in. I currently call myself wicca, but I'm sort of in a no where place. And I'd hate to start my year and a day and then be like "Oh, other religion." So, if anyone knows anything. Your input would be appreciated!
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
YanaKhan

Re: What is Tengrism?

Post by YanaKhan »

Tengriism (or Tengrism) is a shamanic religion. It's the religion of the nomad tribes from Asia and Europe - Huns, Khazars, Bulgars, Mongols and such. Look up This thread. There are links you might find helpful too.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

YanaKhan wrote:Tengriism (or Tengrism) is a shamanic religion. It's the religion of the nomad tribes from Asia and Europe - Huns, Khazars, Bulgars, Mongols and such. Look up This thread. There are links you might find helpful too.

Oh! Wow. I was like a thread away from a Tengriism gold mine. Thanks Yana! Quick question though, do I say "alp" or "bika" while saying the name?
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

It's sad to hear that a lot of the documentation of it was lost. I suppose that with all shamanism though. I mean I've never read a book on Celtic shamanism where the author resisted a jab at st Patrick.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Azure Lily wrote:Oh! Wow. I was like a thread away from a Tengriism gold mine. Thanks Yana! Quick question though, do I say "alp" or "bika" while saying the name?

You say alp - bika (alpbikah) [the name] for a female deity. Alp is a male.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Hey Azure Lily, I noticed you mentioned using the Cyrillic alphabet in the chat box.
Now, it sounds very very cool to me that someone is keen on learning our alphabet, but if you wanted to connect it to Tengriism, I must say it won't do you much good. See, the Cyrillic alphabet was based on the Glagolitic alphabet, which was invented about 2 centuries after the Bulgarians became Christians. Besides, both Cyrillic and Glagolitic alphabets are Slavic.
Now if you wanted to connect some sort of script to Tengriism, it would be Protobulgarian runes. There are very few sources on them and as far as I know, there have been discovered about 164 of them and many of them have not been deciphered yet.
You may find this link interesting.
You may also want to research Mongolian alphabets.
manshin

Post by manshin »

Here is an article on tengerism written by someone who belongs to Mongolian culture.
Korean Sorceress/Shaman 만신; witch; Kemetic Orthodoxy
*I do not follow any (Neo)Wiccan beliefs.

Return to “Shamanism”