Steps to Help You Find Your Power Animal

Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Steps to Help You Find Your Power Animal

Post by Naudia Threng »

Greetings all! Friendly neighborhood student of shamanism, Azure Lily, here! And I'd like to tell you a bit about Spirit Guides(or power animals, depending on your belief, they can be interchangeable.).

Many people believe that you have a choice in your spirit guide. For instance "I like cats, so my spirit guide must be cat." But, i dont believe that. Your spirit guide is your protector and adviser. Not your friend. It can be your friend, but i feel that its your guardian first. My spirit guide is a snake! And I am absolutely terrified of snakes. But he keeps me safe. And his instincts on poisonous versus non-poisonous things is on point. Many people live their lives without even discovering their spirit guides. But we all have one and wouldn't live very long without it! It is located either in your head or your chest. Your heart or your brain.

Want to discover your spirit animal? This is what i do:

1)Find a quiet place where you will not be disturbed. (it helps me to have some sort of hole i could crawl into, or slide down.)

2)Consecrate, bless, etc. the area.

3) Sit down and enter a trance. This can be helped by different kinds of teas, sounds, and scents. I have yet to try any teas. But a binaural 432 hz drum beat and sandalwood incense work fine for me.

4) Once in the trance, it's time for the astral travel. Leave your physical body and make the journey into the lowerworld.

5)When you've come out of the tunnel and into the lowerworld, call out "Spirit of my mind and heart, come to my beckoning."

6) When the first spirit arrives, watch for the direction it comes from. If it comes from left or behind, ignore it and walk away. If it comes from the front or right, say "By the ancestors, you cannot lie."

7) Call out the chant from step 5 after each spirit leaves or you walk away from it. If the spirit stays, ask it three questions.

7a) Will you guide me?

7b) Will you protect me?

7c) Can I trust you?

8) If it answers no to any of these questions, walk away and return to step 5. If it answers yes to any of these questions, say "Tell me your name."

9)If it walks away, go back to step five. If it stays and tells you its name. Say "I name thee spirit, [Insert Name Here]!"

10) The final step is asking it "Do you want to leave with me?" If it says "I am already and always have been with you." (or something like that), thank it and leave the lowerworld. If it says anything other than that, return to step 5. Repeat this process until you find your spirit guide or give up. If you found your spirit guide, make an offering to it and your ancestors when you awaken from your trance.

I wish you luck on finding your spirit guide! And remember to wipe your mind clean of preconceptions about what your spirit guide is before you enter the lowerworld. Else you'll taint the outcome. I hope you've learned something from reading this! And if you have any comments, questions, concerns, or information to add, please do! It would be much appreciated and I'm trying to revive the Shamanism topic. Thanks for readings! Hugs and kisses, Azure out!

Disclaimer: This is purely how i practice and your methods or views are just that. This is not an exact method and you should alter it to what you believe. I am not an expert, nor is anyone, truly.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
Vesca

Re: Steps to Help You Find Your Power Animal

Post by Vesca »

Neat post, I just want to add a couple things.

There are so many variations of shamanism from all over the world that there will always be different methods and details pertaining to shamanic work and travel. So if one doesn't work for you, it doesn't mean it's the only one.

For example: The sitting in front of, inside of, or sliding into a hole isn't a requirement for all walks of shamanism but it may be useful for some (or many). Please don't sit in front of, or inside of, a cave or any other dangerous place.

The same can be said of using a language you aren't familiar with. You can ask your questions in your native tongue and still get your answers. :)

As a side note, I would be interested in seeing your reading list/library on shamanism, Azure Lily. :)
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hmm, I suggest leaving off the Latin if you're not sure that it's accurate. It's probably much more powerful to speak English correctly than an "arcane" language incorrectly.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Azure Lily wrote: I'd like to tell you a bit about Spirit Guides (or power animals, they're the same thing)...Many people believe that you have a choice in your spirit guide. For instance "I like cats, so my spirit guide must be cat." But, your spirit guide is your protector and adviser. Not your friend...Want to discover your spirit animal? Well follow these steps:

Commands/Declaring "Facts" vs. Sharing Personal Opinions

Hi Azure Lily. My comments are more directed toward your writing style, than about aspects of shamanism. I think it would really help if you toned down some of your statements. For example, "they're the same thing," might be toned down to, "in my opinion, they're the same thing." Many would say there are nuances between the two, and they are not the same thing. Also, people might consider their spirit animal as a friend in arms, so to speak, and your statement that "your spirit guide is your protector and advisor. Not your friend," as much as you may believe that is a hard fact, it is really just your personal opinion.

If you don't feel that your animal spirit guides are your friend, that's fine. You could tone down what you've written to reflect your opinion on that, like, "I find that my animal spirit guide is not my friend, but more like my protector." That keeps the focus on that being your opinion, and not some fact that applies to everyone else. This approach is kind of off-putting to someone reading it, which kind of touches on what Vesca is saying in that there are many ways of doing and viewing things in as wide-ranging a path as shamanism. The way you've written your post, it doesn't seem you grasp that.

Again, with the "follow these steps," it comes across almost like a command. Maybe something like, "here are some techniques that worked for me:" would be better, or if you haven't actually done any of these techniques yourself but merely think they are neat and are suggesting someone else try them, maybe say something that reflects that instead, like, "Here are some techniques that may help you find your..."

I'm thinking your intent wasn't to command anybody, but the way you've written this post (as well as some others you've been posting lately, for some reason) it tends to come across that way, as though you're fancying yourself as a know-it-all, and people better listen to you, or else. I know that wasn't your intention, as I know you've been a member here for a while and I believe your intention is good and you are just trying to share information that you're enthused about. But, I think your posts could benefit from some toning down. Toward the end of this post http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... ml#p228443 I give other examples of using "qualifiers" so that the tone doesn't sound so dictatorial, but more like an opinion one is sharing, one of many other opinions out there. :wink:

Moderator/Support Edits

I did change the title of this post from "Spirit Guides/Power Animals: Not Your Choice" to "Steps to Finding Your Power Animal." As far as spirit guides and whatnot go, we always have a choice as to whom we allow in our lives, and don't allow. EUTM is not trying to foster a sense of spiritual helplessness here, but one of self-empowerment and self-determination. If you personally feel that the spirits in your life are "not your choice," put a qualifier in front of your statements saying as much ("I believe we have no choice as to the spirit guides in our lives," or something like that). But at least leave room in your writing that reflects that you realize not everyone feels that way about the spirit guides in their lives.

In future posts, the Moderators and Supports may modify your posts accordingly if we feel they are presenting a message that is not reflective of the spirit we are trying to foster in this community.

You did ask for comments and suggestions, and I have given you some here, as has Xiao and Vesca. I hope you take them under advisement. Thanks.

Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

Thank you all for your advice! I will preform the edits promptly. While writing this post i tried to make it a general medium of shamanism. There are so many different views of the practice. Thanks Kassandra, I'll remember to change the wording to say that its my opinion.

Xiao, I always like to use multiple languages in my rituals, i dont really know why, but i like to. I will alter the text though, and make the languages a side-note.

And Vesca, there arent many requirements for any walks of shamanism at all. But i will keep in mind to add some thing like "It helps me" to that phrase.

p.s. Thanks for changing the name Kass. The post itself wasnt what i planned it to be. It sort of just turned out that way.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

Vesca wrote:Neat post, I just want to add a couple things.

There are so many variations of shamanism from all over the world that there will always be different methods and details pertaining to shamanic work and travel. So if one doesn't work for you, it doesn't mean it's the only one.

For example: The sitting in front of, inside of, or sliding into a hole isn't a requirement for all walks of shamanism but it may be useful for some (or many). Please don't sit in front of, or inside of, a cave or any other dangerous place.

The same can be said of using a language you aren't familiar with. You can ask your questions in your native tongue and still get your answers. :)

As a side note, I would be interested in seeing your reading list/library on shamanism, Azure Lily. :)
Oh yes! My shamanism reading list. Its not for someone who wants to follow a specific path of shamanism though. Ive got books on spirit healing, celtic, sanskrit, native american, etc kinds of shamanism. But it irks the crap out of me that i dont have anything on egyptian shamanism.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

Kassandra wrote:
Azure Lily wrote:Greetings all! Friendly neighborhood shaman, Azure Lily, here! And I'd like to tell you a bit about Spirit Guides (or power animals, they're the same thing)...Many people believe that you have a choice in your spirit guide. For instance "I like cats, so my spirit guide must be cat." But, your spirit guide is your protector and adviser. Not your friend...Want to discover your spirit animal? Well follow these steps:

Commands/Declaring "Facts" vs. Sharing Personal Opinions

Hi Azure Lily. My comments are more directed toward your writing style, than about aspects of shamanism. I think it would really help if you toned down some of your statements. For example, "they're the same thing," might be toned down to, "in my opinion, they're the same thing." Many would say there are nuances between the two, and they are not the same thing. Also, people might consider their spirit animal as a friend in arms, so to speak, and your statement that "your spirit guide is your protector and advisor. Not your friend," as much as you may believe that is a hard fact, it is really just your personal opinion.

If you don't feel that your animal spirit guides are your friend, that's fine. You could tone down what you've written to reflect your opinion on that, like, "I find that my animal spirit guide is not my friend, but more like my protector." That keeps the focus on that being your opinion, and not some fact that applies to everyone else. This approach is kind of off-putting to someone reading it, which kind of touches on what Vesca is saying in that there are many ways of doing and viewing things in as wide-ranging a path as shamanism. The way you've written your post, it doesn't seem you grasp that.

Again, with the "follow these steps," it comes across almost like a command. Maybe something like, "here are some techniques that worked for me:" would be better, or if you haven't actually done any of these techniques yourself but merely think they are neat and are suggesting someone else try them, maybe say something that reflects that instead, like, "Here are some techniques that may help you find your..."

I'm thinking your intent wasn't to command anybody, but the way you've written this post (as well as some others you've been posting lately, for some reason) it tends to come across that way, as though you're fancying yourself as a know-it-all, and people better listen to you, or else. I know that wasn't your intention, as I know you've been a member here for a while and I believe your intention is good and you are just trying to share information that you're enthused about. But, I think your posts could benefit from some toning down. Toward the end of this post http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... ml#p228443 I make some other examples of how to word things using "qualifiers" so that the tone doesn't sound so dictatorial, but more like an opinion one is sharing, one of many other opinions out there. :wink:

Moderator/Support Edits

I did change the title of this post from "Sprit Guides/Power Animals: Not Your Choice" to "Steps to Finding Your Power Animal." As far as spirit guides and whatnot go, we always have a choice as to whom we allow in our lives, and don't allow. EUTM is not trying to foster a sense of spiritual helplessness here, but one of empowerment and self-determination. If you personally feel that the spirits in your life are "not your choice," put a qualifier in front of your statements saying as much ("I believe we have no choice as to the spirit guides in our lives," or something like that). But at least leave room in your writing that reflects that you realize not everyone feels that way about the spirit guides in their lives.

In future posts, the Moderators and Supports may modify your posts accordingly if we feel that they present a message that is not reflective of the spirit we are trying to foster in this community.

You did ask for comments and suggestions, and I have given you some here, as has Xiao and Vesca. I hope you take them under advisement. Thanks.

Sorry about all the saying of things like its fact. In school they drill us with argumentative essays and i always forget that im not trying to convince anyone.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Haha, well, you learned well what they taught you in school. And sometimes the argumentative approach comes in handy in life. It's good to be able to argue your case, good skill to have. Thanks for taking my constructive criticism positively, as it was meant to be. Keep on keepin' on!

Adiens

Post by Adiens »

Azure Lily wrote:
Vesca wrote:Neat post, I just want to add a couple things.

Oh yes! My shamanism reading list. Its not for someone who wants to follow a specific path of shamanism though. Ive got books on spirit healing, celtic, sanskrit, native american, etc kinds of shamanism. But it irks the crap out of me that i dont have anything on egyptian shamanism.

I too am interested, and I don't mind/care that it's not one linear path. I think sometimes the best way to study something is to get all the perspectives :)
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Azure Lily wrote: Oh yes! My shamanism reading list. Its not for someone who wants to follow a specific path of shamanism though. Ive got books on spirit healing, celtic, sanskrit, native american, etc kinds of shamanism. But it irks the crap out of me that i dont have anything on egyptian shamanism.
That's ok, I'm just a total dork and like to look at potential books I'd like to read at some point. :P

You can even pick a title and write a review in the book reviews section if you like a particular few more than the others.

Return to “Shamanism”