Shamanism 101 - online training course about core shamanism

Witchcraft-Fairy

Shamanism 101 - online training course about core shamanism

Post by Witchcraft-Fairy »

I wanted to do some shamanic training, yet I haven't found any courses, seminars or else in my area that are affordable for me. Travelling to other places plus accomodation costs would be too expensive for me, too.

Then I found an extensive online course about core shamanism* which might be the right choice.
It's called "Shamanism 101". It teaches you to integrate shamanic practises in your everyday life, yet also practices (in the higher levels) which you can use professionally as a shamanic healer.

There are three levels of training and the fourth level is a teacher training.

Every level consists of 12 lessons and can be completed in 3 months – some students complete it in 4 to 6 months. During the lessons you receive texts, audio-tracks and sometimes videos and you get homework and assignments – not much to write though, rather practical work. Every student gets a one-on-one mentoring via E-Mail and there is a forum group for students on facebook as well.

Every level only costs 190 $ (status: January 2015) and there is not much material needed except two or three books, smudging incense, and at the end of level 1 a shamanic drum and a rattle.

The second, third and fourth level require practice clients with whom you can excercise (as far as I know they can be friends or family).

I want to do this training some time later this year and will write about my experiences then. If there is anyone here who has done this training, I would love to hear about it.

Here is the link to the website:
http://shamanism101.com/Home.html

* core shamanism uses universal shamanic principles and techniques that can be found all over the world, yet in core shamanism these are not bound to a specific cultural background. So, they can be easily learned and used by people all over the world. This kind of shamanism was researched and developed by anthropologist Michael Harner who also founded the well-respected Foundation for Shamanic studies
http://www.shamanism.org/workshops/coreshamanism.html
sillyoldman

Re: Shamanism 101 - online training course about core shaman

Post by sillyoldman »

I know this is an old post but thought I would comment anyway.
I would be careful what you get yourself into here. I have been studying since I was fifteen and at seventy two I still am. Maybe it's just me, I guess I am a slow learner.
just a silly old man who knows nothing and has everything to learn.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Thank you for bringing this one back into the light. At first glance, it's intriguing, but I have to wonder how much actual shamanism is taught in that space of time. It seems a bit too cheap and easy to be real. IMHO.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
sillyoldman

Post by sillyoldman »

I agree with you SnowCat.The first thing I had to do when starting out was to learn to be true to one's self.It to me was the hardest thing that I have ever done and taught me to be humble.The second was to conquer my fears and to gain the confidence to listen to the spirits within.These two alone took almost as long as this course.
Whenever a question was asked it would be answered with another one which always made me search for the answers I was looking for.Also a promise never to knowingly transgress anothers path as they are sacred to the one who follows them and wrong in the eyes of spirit was drilled into me at every chance.It was a long slow process.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I think my path is probably closer to shamanism than to any others, but I wouldn't call myself a shaman. I will call myself Cat Whisperer, since I manage, or maybe am managed by, a fair size clowder.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
sillyoldman

Post by sillyoldman »

You will never hear me call myself one either. I am simply me a silly old man.
onyx208

Post by onyx208 »

I agree to begin with.. A fast paced online course is not going to turn me into a Shaman.

That being said, could a course like this not be a good education opportunity for budding individuals? Maybe not experience or true "spirit understanding," but a way to begin the lifelong process of being exposed to Shamanism? Even if it promises more than it can give..

Wanting to know your opinion.
nightshroud

Post by nightshroud »

any advice for an outsider looking in?
The darkness is my friend for I am Nightshroud the darklord.

Return to “Shamanism”