Tools of the Shaman-Shamanism and shamanic witchcraft tools

loona wynd
Banned Member

Tools of the Shaman-Shamanism and shamanic witchcraft tools

Post by loona wynd »

Like many paths Shamanism has its own set of ritual tools and practices. The tools in shamanism can also be used in forms and styles of witchcraft (occasionally called hedge witchcraft). Some shamanic witches combine the use of traditional witchcraft tools and the tools of the shaman to work both and other practice witchcraft just with the tools of the shaman. In both practices the tools have symbolic uses as well as practical uses.

There are some tools that overlap between the practices like the use of candles and incenses or herbal work. There are also tools like the knife and the mortar and pestal that are also carried over by both practices. There are also tools that are very different in uses in shamanic or hedge witchcraft than they are in other forms of witchcraft. For this reason this thread is here to cover different tools and associations from different perspectives and traditions.

I am starting with the tools and the associations that I see, use and have worked with. I want to stress that. The first post after this introduction post is going to be my working definitions and mine alone. I can only start the discussion from my point of view. Once that is established we can grow and see where other uses and thoughts come from.

This is why from there I would like other people to share their definitions and concepts for the different tools based on experience and practice. I hope that we can compare the major similarities and understand the differences in the concepts. By having starting points (I'm starting it off with my concepts) we can see differences and maybe understand some of the confusion on tools and their uses. Afterall there really is no one size fits all tool associations and uses. We have only that which we have come to find works for ourselves.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Re: Tools of the Shaman-Shamanism and shamanic witchcraft to

Post by loona wynd »

Shaman Tools

Medicine Bag:
Contains tools of the trade for when traveling, can also be a form of herbal or spiritual components to obtain specific goals and desires (similar concepts Mojo Bags and packet spells)

Drum:
Tool used for inducing trances-is the steed used to travel the world tree, different rhythms provide different experiences in healing work and other types of work as well as direction and type of journey being made

Masks:
Used to aid in shape shifting or becoming spirits in ritual, spirits are called in and in some traditions ritual possessions occur (see Invocation or evocation )for the process of banishing and dealing with unwanted spirits

Fires, Candles and incense:
Mood setters, provide ritual settings

Knife:
Used for gathering herbs and ritual supplies, may be used for various forms of cutting materials depending on the needs of the ritual

Herbs and items in nature:
Used in ritual for various reasons depending on the concept and reason behind the ritual

Shamanic Witch

Broom,Staff,Stang:
Vessel for traveling the world symbolically- concept of witches flight

Cauldron:
Place for brewing spells and rituals

Wand and ritual blade:
Direction of energy

Drum:
Ritual trance tool, may be used along with the symbolic staffs,stangs or brooms for trance work

Herbs and items in nature:
Used in ritual for various reasons depending on the concept and reason behind the ritual

Knife:
Used for harvesting herbs and items of nature for ritual use also used for directing energy

General Witchcraft Tools

Athame/Ritual Blade:
Used for directing energy in ritual

Wand:
Used for mixing items in spells and for directing energy

Herbs and natural items:
Used for different purposes depending on ritual purpose or intent

Cauldron:
Used for buring things and or mixin things

Drum:
Used as a way to gather and raise energy

There are other tools I didn't mention like candles and the like as they are basically used the same in every practice I have found, though the color, shape, scent, etc associations may be different depending on different traditions and styles. The use of burning candles though at least is the same. Its a vessel for the energy the flow through.

So thats my starting point and my basic concepts and ideas for the different tools and practices. What are your thoughts? Do you agree, disagree? Are there tools you feel I am missing? The floor is now open to you.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Great post. I need to work on my medicine bag. I have a few items but need to make or find the bag.
azriel

Post by azriel »

One of the things I have learned while reading all of my books is that the Medicine Bad does not necessarily have to contain herbs and tools to create a medicine per say. For those who live in areas where finding natural herbs and plants is hard to find, it makes it difficult to fill your bag.

However, "medicine" can be also refer to the spiritual properties of animals, plants and stones and having a fetish of that being, and then charged with the intent of containing it's medicine, can then be placed inside the bag. When the user or a client is in need of a specific "medicine," the Shaman can then utilize the fetish for that specific being as a tool in their craft.

I have a bag like this where I am currently collecting my fetishes; this includes little toys for my animals guides, crystals and stones for deities and also some plant seeds as well.

One day, I have the materials I just do not know how to use a sewing machine, I will make a bag where I plan to place my tools of the trade.

This is a work in progress and hopefully I can learn how to sew!! One day!

Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I have a tarot-pouch I bought and added doodads to such as my Virgo symbol, crescent moon, a bell, and gold-stone beads that sparkle and aids OOBE and telepathy. Inside I have tucked mementos as symbols of meaningful moments along the journey to remind me of lessons attained.

it's full. I may need to expand to a pillow case. It looks like a sack of rocks, coins, beach glass, bits and bobs. I never thought of it as a medicine bag, but I suppose that is what it is.
Raven At Heart
Banned Member

Post by Raven At Heart »

The tools you are mentioning sound like a native american medicine mans tools. Sorry if I have that wrong, but are they? I find tools used for Shaman rituals tend to vary a lot from place to place, and culture to culture. (I am not saying a medicine man is not a shaman, because it is a type of shaman. I am only asking of those are medicine man tools.)
I'm a spiteful, hateful, venomous creature, a pupil with no scruples who's no better then my teacher. Also not actually a raven.

Return to “Shamanism”