Hedge Witchcraft & Shamanism

loona wynd
Banned Member

Hedge Witchcraft & Shamanism

Post by loona wynd »

Hedge witchcraft is a tradition and style of witchcraft where most of the rituals are shamanistic in nature. These rituals involve deep styles of trance work. In these rituals the witch crosses the hedge and travels into the various spirit worlds to meet with various spirits and work with various spirits. It is often said that these witches are frequently in a position where they essentially have one foot ready to jump into the spirit world and one foot firmly in this world.

Hedge witchcraft is what I would call the Shamanic witchcraft tradition. The rites and rituals that involve trance also use and involve witchcraft to work effectively. These witches practice magic and spell craft much like any other witch. Traditionally these witches were herbalists and kitchen witches working mostly with herbs they could wild craft in the forest or grow in their gardens.

I was wondering if any one here identified as a Hedge witch and if so if they would be willing to discuss the various techniques and spirits they work with.
AnaisStar

Re: Hedge Witchcraft & Shamanism

Post by AnaisStar »

Im pretty eclectic but probably most like a green/hedge witch, but also a little attracted to Druidism. But Im not too into the ritual and rules of Druidry.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

AnaisStar wrote:Im pretty eclectic but probably most like a green/hedge witch, but also a little attracted to Druidism. But Im not too into the ritual and rules of Druidry.
What about hedge witchcraft do you like?

I like the idea that I constantly live on the border between two worlds. That's really a hedge witches strong point is the ability to move between worlds at their own will and decisions.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Im reading and researching Shamanism a little bit too.

Seeing how they go together more.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

AnaisStar wrote:Im reading and researching Shamanism a little bit too.

Seeing how they go together more.
I've found that because shamanism isn't a specific path, but rather a type of path that for witches in general hedge witchcraft is the shamanic paths for witches. Germanic pagans have Seidir as their Shamanic path. Hawaiian spirituality has their own name for their shamanic practices. In essence shamanic practices are practices where spirits teach the practitioner the symbols and practices of the magic. It involves a lot of astral travel and out of body work and experiences.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Im studying shamanism more and realized that it has been my path/practice all along (even in a past life). I just didnt realize that that was what it was until I started reading more on Shamanism. What I thought was an eclectic path that I kind of created is actually a shamanistic path.

Right now Im reading The Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft by Christopher Penczak. Its really good so far. He doesnt call it Hedge Witchcraft by refers to it as Shamanic Witchcraft which I like. Same thing, different name.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

AnaisStar wrote:
Right now Im reading The Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft by Christopher Penczak. Its really good so far. He doesnt call it Hedge Witchcraft by refers to it as Shamanic Witchcraft which I like. Same thing, different name.
Do you have the cd companion? It will bring the exercises to a new level. That and he wrote drumming for those exercises which is awesome. It was a two day intensive workshop on that book that really made me know that I had to study the whole tradition.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

loona wynd wrote:
AnaisStar wrote:
Do you have the cd companion? It will bring the exercises to a new level. That and he wrote drumming for those exercises which is awesome. It was a two day intensive workshop on that book that really made me know that I had to study the whole tradition.
No I have it on Kindle. I need to get the CD. I have a few of his other books, and recently I just became part of FB group that he also just joined. Kind of neat.

Do you have any other great books to recommend on Shamanism Loona?
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

AnaisStar wrote:
No I have it on Kindle. I need to get the CD. I have a few of his other books, and recently I just became part of FB group that he also just joined. Kind of neat.
If you have any of the Temple series books you should get the CD's for them. They contain the exercises for the lessons so you can actually have them been recorded. They really help make everything much clearer.
AnaisStar wrote:Do you have any other great books to recommend on Shamanism Loona?
Hmm. Well I have a list for hedge witchcraft specific and a list for shamanism. Some of the hedge witchcraft books cover more traditional styles of witchcraft and some are more Wiccan based (like the Shamanic Temple of witchcraft). So let me see what I have.

This is my Hedge Witchcraft specific list:

Craft of the Wild witch By Poppy Palin
Hedge Rider by Eric De Vries
To Fly By Night: The Craft of the Hedgewitch By Veronica Cummer
The 13 Gates of witchcraft By Christopher Penczak
The Shamanic Temple of Witchcraft & CD companions by Christopher Penczak
The witching Way of the Hollow Hill by Robin Artisson

Here is my Shamanism List:

Practical Shamanism, A Guide for Walking in Both Worlds by Katie Weatherup
Shamanic Spirit: A Practical Guide to Personal Fulfillment By Kenneth Meadows
Shamanism As a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life By Thomas Dale Cowan
Awakening to the Spirit World: The Shamanic Path of Direct Revelation By Sandra Ingerman
The Way of the Shaman By Michael Harner
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Oh thanks for that list. I keep hearing great things about that Michael Harner book, so I think I might read that next.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I ordered the CD to go with the Penczak book. Should get it this week so Ill go back and do all the exercises again.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

AnaisStar wrote:I ordered the CD to go with the Penczak book. Should get it this week so Ill go back and do all the exercises again.
Its awesome. Hes really good with them. The exercise sets have four tracks with them. One to get into the sacred space, one for the entering of the trance, one for the meat of the work, and one to exit the work. Let me know how it goes for you :-)
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

loona wynd wrote:
AnaisStar wrote:I ordered the CD to go with the Penczak book. Should get it this week so Ill go back and do all the exercises again.
Its awesome. Hes really good with them. The exercise sets have four tracks with them. One to get into the sacred space, one for the entering of the trance, one for the meat of the work, and one to exit the work. Let me know how it goes for you :-)
Did the first one today, it was pretty interesting. I LOVE his voice, its very soothing. I cant wait to try the others.

I didnt find that I went deeper or had a different experience listening to the CDs as I did when I journeyed on my own. It was very similar, but it was nice to have someone lead you in even if it was on CD
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

AnaisStar wrote:
loona wynd wrote:
Did the first one today, it was pretty interesting. I LOVE his voice, its very soothing. I cant wait to try the others.
Which exercise was it you did? I dont remember the order off the top of my head and the intensive was several years ago.
AnaisStar wrote:I didnt find that I went deeper or had a different experience listening to the CDs as I did when I journeyed on my own. It was very similar, but it was nice to have someone lead you in even if it was on CD
I personally wanted longer actual travels in my work so I would often do the journey track twice before going on to the return track. I felt this allowed for a deeper experience with the realm and the spirits I was working with at the time. For some the time that he has going in perfect for them. So its up to you to find what works for you.

The one thing we did in that class was we used a few different seated and standing positions for different realms and different types of spirits that we have worked with. That might be something to look into as well.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

It was the first one, just general journey like to the World Tree. Which I already done several times but I wanted to start with the first one and work my way.

Following just the book I went all the way up to the one with meeting an Angel. Which wasnt anything different than what Ive already done as Ive worked closely with Archangel Michael for many years. So he was who I met in the book's journey exercise, so it wasnt anything new for me. LOL

Return to “Shamanism”